Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

02/27/2013 new

Hi Jan,

I've thought about your original post several times as a result I am coming to the discussion a little bit late. I can see a justification for both limiting and not limiting for various reasons. But, I think perhaps it is more conducive and beneficial to keep it open not only for fellowship and discussion, but because we are called to be a light for each other. I am not concerned when I read someone's profile and they are not a 7/7. I look at it rather as future topics for discussion. I would like to hear their reasoning for rejecting one or more of the seven statements. The years I spent in catechesis allowed me the opportunity to study in depth the teachings of the Church and the historical, moral and rational thinking behind them. Not everyone has had such an opportunity for any number of reasons. It's also allowed me the opportunity to hear just about every argument against the teachings as well. I have no issue with someone not believing all of the seven as long as their belief against does not translate into derision of my belief for and vice versa. If there is derision, there can be no open discussion about the topics and that benefits no one. So, I guess my vote would be to keep it open :-)) This has been a good thought provoking thread thank you for starting it :-)

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Jan-672216 said: Some of you may have also missed in a early post ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Jan-672216 said:

Some of you may have also missed in a early post the statement I made that, since CM is open to those also seeking fellowship or friendship, one could argue that including those who are not in agreement with the teachings of the Church might prove beneficial for all concerned.

Thanks. All benefit by membership. No catholic site, event, or organization should be open only to saints. Who among us would qualify?

--hide--

+

Hi David,

You are welcome. I'm happy to repost what was at the beginning of the thread as apparently quite a few people missed it. And I never said CM should be open to only saints, even when I thought it was only a dating site!

Here is something a fellow CM person sent me who wishes to remain anonymous, though I do have their permission to repost. I do agree with the sentiments this person expresses and think this person proposes an excellent solution (bolding is mine to make sure people understand what is being expressed):

"I strongly believe people should have official annulments from the Church before they are able to join a dating site which markets themselves as Catholic. Now, if there were two clear separate divisions of Catholic Match (Spiritual/Social/Friendship Interaction vs Dating) then that would be different. This is marketed as a dating site not general social site...hence "CatholicMatch"."

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: . . . Here is something a fellow CM person sent me who wishes to remain anonymous, though I ...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

. . .

Here is something a fellow CM person sent me who wishes to remain anonymous, though I do have their permission to repost. I do agree with the sentiments this person expresses and think this person proposes an excellent solution (bolding is mine to make sure people understand what is being expressed):

"I strongly believe people should have official annulments from the Church before they are able to join a dating site which markets themselves as Catholic. Now, if there were two clear separate divisions of Catholic Match (Spiritual/Social/Friendship Interaction vs Dating) then that would be different. This is marketed as a dating site not general social site...hence "CatholicMatch"."

--hide--

Well thank goodness CM's founders didn't think that same way.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I think it would be a great idea if there was a "resource library" here on CM, with liinks ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I think it would be a great idea if there was a "resource library" here on CM, with liinks to the great writings/explanations of the Church and its scholars on these topics. It could be hyperlinks to other sites' offerings. That way people who are interested will not have to look far for the Truth.

--hide--

This is an excellent idea. It would avoid the endless frustrating situations in the forums where people try to argue their opinion, style preferences, and personal views on a matter as definitive Church teaching, and provide some more authoritative Catholic direction to those seeking answers.

02/28/2013 new

clap

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: This is an excellent idea. It would avoid the endless frustrating situations in the ...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

This is an excellent idea. It would avoid the endless frustrating situations in the forums where people try to argue their opinion, style preferences, and personal views on a matter as definitive Church teaching, and provide some more authoritative Catholic direction to those seeking answers.

--hide--

Praying

Yes - that would be very good! Better yet - have a hyper-link that leads to the definitive Church teachings posted next to the Faith questions (that people are free to click on or not) to learn what the Catholic Church teaches and why she teaches it - always with our ultimate happiness - salvation - in mind!

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: This is an excellent idea. It would avoid the endless frustrating situations in the ...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

--hide--

Angela yeah great idea and I think we all know some topics that we can suggest :)

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: Yes - that would be very good! Better yet - have a hyper-link that leads to the d...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

Yes - that would be very good! Better yet - have a hyper-link that leads to the definitive Church teachings posted next to the Faith questions (that people are free to click on or not) to learn what the Catholic Church teaches and why she teaches it - always with our ultimate happiness - salvation - in mind!

--hide--

The links are already there.. They are there when a person first puts up a profile and they are there right now if you click on Edit.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi David, You are welcome. I'm happy to repost what was at the beginni...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi David,

You are welcome. I'm happy to repost what was at the beginning of the thread as apparently quite a few people missed it. And I never said CM should be open to only saints, even when I thought it was only a dating site!

--hide--

Ave Maria confines membership only to members who have an annulment and their membership is extremely small.. Having a second site was already tried by CM Admin and there wasn't enough interest to keep it going. It was mostly used by married members who couldn't be on here anymore and once Facebook took off, it became the desired gathering place.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Well thank goodness CM's founders didn't thin...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Well thank goodness CM's founders didn't think that same way.

--hide--

clap

Posts 51 - 60 of 98