Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: Joining in on this thread kinda late...but read thru! Thanks David for your posts. I am one of &q...
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

Joining in on this thread kinda late...but read thru! Thanks David for your posts. I am one of "those" who have come here looking for a .moral guy but not really having enough faith myself. I really know little of the teachings, traditions and mandates. Didn't pay enough attention in catechism as a kid! And I'm one of those that if you contact me, I might tell you why!

But now I know why so many guys look at my profile and don't leave a message

I admit to learning much this first three weeks! I didn't realize there was so much more than dating here. I like these forums.

However I will also say I've been a bit off put on more than one occasion by some holier than thou. Those make me want to run. However the longer I stay, the more I find the real heart of Jesus among our group. These people make me want to be a better Catholic.

Have blessed day.

--hide--
Susan -- Allow me to join in encouraging you to learn more about the Catholic Faith. Perhaps a refrisher "course" could be arranged through your parish's RCIA program. It's essentially intended for people interested in learning about the Faith and joining it, but it may be helpful to you.

There are many elements of the Faith that aren't understood -- and some can't be (that's why they're referred to as mysteries). No one knows everything about the Faith, but we should strive to become familiar with the basis. The old Baltimore Catechism was a lot simpler and basic than the current one, but there's a wealth of information in it.

Stay tuned to the forums -- many people here have excellent backgrounds in the Faith, and are helpful to those who are wanting more information. If you come upon such a person, you might want to communicate with him/her to explore the teachings more thoroughly. The internet has some excellent sites but you'll have to be sure they're reliable sources of information.

While you're expanding your knowledge, you might combine it with a little fun in the forums to make it even more enjoyable. Don't let certain judgmental comments discourage you or make you feel like running away. With a little knowledge, you could help them as well as yourself.

No one said being a Catholic is easy, but it's worth the effort.

Blessings,

Ray

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: BTW, David, are you ok? Just wondering because you've been using capital letters. ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

BTW, David, are you ok? Just wondering because you've been using capital letters.

--hide--

trifocals. new ones. smile

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: Would CM truly be more helpful to the Catholic Church on a whole if people who are not willing to a...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

Would CM truly be more helpful to the Catholic Church on a whole if people who are not willing to accept the 7 Church Teachings listed, especially, in the light of the current sexual scandals rocking the Church, the teaching on no sex outside of marriage, the teaching on contraception, and the understanding that a Catholic, once married and divorced, is not free to even date until, or if, an annulment has been obtained? What do you think?

--hide--

Huh? What does the "sexual scandal" of the Church have to do with not following the teachings of the Church? I just don't understand why a person who does not follow the teachings of the Church and who is not free to be married, is on this site? If you don't care about the teaching of the Church, there are plenty of places to find people. If you are not free to be married, you should not be online making "friends" because that just leads to heartache.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-705104 said: My ex had an affair with his best friend's wife (both of whom are Catholic and claim that t...
(Quote) Heather-705104 said:

My ex had an affair with his best friend's wife (both of whom are Catholic and claim that they are devout Catholics) and he walked out on us.

--hide--

Might be a good Topic? I thought I knew a "devout" Catholic and then found out she apparenty thinks cohabitation is OK.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Susan -- Allow me to join in encouraging you to learn more about the Catholic Faith. Perhaps a refr...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Susan -- Allow me to join in encouraging you to learn more about the Catholic Faith. Perhaps a refrisher "course" could be arranged through your parish's RCIA program. It's essentially intended for people interested in learning about the Faith and joining it, but it may be helpful to you.

There are many elements of the Faith that aren't understood -- and some can't be (that's why they're referred to as mysteries). No one knows everything about the Faith, but we should strive to become familiar with the basis. The old Baltimore Catechism was a lot simpler and basic than the current one, but there's a wealth of information in it.

Stay tuned to the forums -- many people here have excellent backgrounds in the Faith, and are helpful to those who are wanting more information. If you come upon such a person, you might want to communicate with him/her to explore the teachings more thoroughly. The internet has some excellent sites but you'll have to be sure they're reliable sources of information.

While you're expanding your knowledge, you might combine it with a little fun in the forums tto make it even more enjoyable. Don't let certain judgmental comments discourage you or make you feel like running away. With a little knowledge, you could help them as well as yourself.

No one said being a Catholic is easy, but it's worth the effort.

Blessings,

Ray

--hide--
thanks to you Ray and to (staff) Brian for your kind, intelligent and helpful comments. I've seen your posts Ray and you seem to ve the real voice of reason and true faith. Nice.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: thanks to you Ray and to (staff) Brian for your kind, intelligent and helpful comments. I've ...
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

thanks to you Ray and to (staff) Brian for your kind, intelligent and helpful comments. I've seen your posts Ray and you seem to ve the real voice of reason and true faith. Nice.

--hide--
What a pleasant comment!!! Usually I'm hearing, "Is he for real????" laughing

Relax, stick around awhile and enjoy the ride..... biggrin hug

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Education, education, education! Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Education, education, education!

Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them to give the hard homilies.

Frankly, I see people justifying their sin by pointing to paedophile priests and really, it says more about them and their understanding of the faith then it does about those child raping pigs.

--hide--

Naomi, I don't disagree with you, but as an observation it also depends how it's presented. I heard a homily where a Bishop pounded his fist on the lectern and said "Contraception is dead wrong I tell you, dead wrong", and then moved onto another topic (he most have covered at least 5-6 different topics in the one homily). I did a quick check around the church, and after the eyes stopped rolling rolling eyes they tuned him out and fell asleep faint.

Was he right, of course he was! The problem is that type of homily often proves to be more harmful then fruitful. It was disapointing because the Bishop could have spent 20 minutes preaching on ToB (without calling it that) and provided an education instead of a you're going to hell it's that bad!

I also heard of a great way to defend the faith when it comes to the child sex abuse scandal in the Church. Instead of trying to deny it happened (it's a sad reality it has happened) explain that only 3% of Catholic Priests are guilty of those crimes, and yes that's 3% too much, and way to many victims; but that's not reason enough to stop attending Mass. Are you going to pull your child out of school, after all 4-5% of teachers in New York were convicted of sexual assult crimes, are you going to stop your kid from going to hockey practice faint faint (you have to understand in Canada that would be a GRAVE SIN ... hockey is a recognized religon here - not a sport) when 5% of hockey coaches have been abusive? So why is 4-5% OK in hockey and school, and 3% seen as 300% in the Church? Easy answer, it's easy to "hate the Church".

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi Jerry, There was another Catholic dating site I signed up w...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi Jerry,

There was another Catholic dating site I signed up with several years ago, and, as I recall, one of the requirements of membership was a statement of fidelity to the Magisterial teachings of our Church, including a statement that one was truly free to enter a dating relationship. It might limit membership here, but would that witness for fidelity to the Church perhaps help those Catholics who are in dissent from Church teachings to re-examine their thinking?

--hide--

Personally I don't think it would. I think people would either hit yes because they don't see anything wrong with "cafateria Catholocism" or they take a look at it and say this is too tough for me ... here's another site that just doesn't get what it's like to live in the modern age. The old addage of what business does the Church / Pope / Bishops have to live in our bedrooms.

In the Year of Faith when we are called to a new evangilation why would we turn people away who we could possibly evangalize? Perhaps we can be the missionaries Christ is looking for, and perhaps this is how we do it? scratchchin

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-793888 said: Naomi, I don't disagree with you, but as an observation it also depends how it&#...
(Quote) Peter-793888 said:

Naomi, I don't disagree with you, but as an observation it also depends how it's presented. I heard a homily where a Bishop pounded his fist on the lectern and said "Contraception is dead wrong I tell you, dead wrong", and then moved onto another topic (he most have covered at least 5-6 different topics in the one homily). I did a quick check around the church, and after the eyes stopped rolling they tuned him out and fell asleep .

Was he right, of course he was! The problem is that type of homily often proves to be more harmful then fruitful. It was disapointing because the Bishop could have spent 20 minutes preaching on ToB (without calling it that) and provided an education instead of a you're going to hell it's that bad!

I also heard of a great way to defend the faith when it comes to the child sex abuse scandal in the Church. Instead of trying to deny it happened (it's a sad reality it has happened) explain that only 3% of Catholic Priests are guilty of those crimes, and yes that's 3% too much, and way to many victims; but that's not reason enough to stop attending Mass. Are you going to pull your child out of school, after all 4-5% of teachers in New York were convicted of sexual assult crimes, are you going to stop your kid from going to hockey practice (you have to understand in Canada that would be a GRAVE SIN ... hockey is a recognized religon here - not a sport) when 5% of hockey coaches have been abusive? So why is 4-5% OK in hockey and school, and 3% seen as 300% in the Church? Easy answer, it's easy to "hate the Church".

--hide--

Less than 2% of priests were abusers.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-106 said: I just don't understand why a person who does not follow the teachings of the Church and who is n...
(Quote) Mary-106 said:

I just don't understand why a person who does not follow the teachings of the Church and who is not free to be married, is on this site? If you don't care about the teaching of the Church, there are plenty of places to find people. If you are not free to be married, you should not be online making "friends" because that just leads to heartache.

--hide--

Some of those who are not free to marry are here to make friends (as opposed to "friends"). Others are here to learn more about the faith. Both are compatible with their status.

Posts 71 - 80 of 98