Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 12th 2013 new

Sorry for the late post, but does the Church not teach that if you do not hold all of the required dogma you are excommunicate yourself de facto?

Even if you do not agree with something, or are struggling with something such as sex outside of marriage, that is different than accepting the teaching and working towards fulfilling it with Gods grace then just outright dissenting from it.

Let us be honest, the only reason to dissent from something like sex outside of marriage and contraception is not going to be based on any theological reasons but pure selfishness.

Dissenting from things like papal infallibility and holy orders is probably more of an educational issue, even contraception. But certainly not sex outside of marriage, that is obvious enough.

It is a lack of teaching of the consequences of these actions, a lack of discipline and authority on the part of people teaching the faith because many times they do not want to hurt peoples feelings, not to mention at least in the American culture it is soaked with protestant feel good once saved always saved faith that is seeping into the Catholic mindset.

for instance, I met a woman the other day who was much older than me, just about to get her degree in Theology, and did not even know that purgatory was a doctrine that had to be held. Me, someone who is not even fully confirmed in the Church, had to show her in the Catechism where her position was against Church teachings. She probably changed her viewpoint on this since, but it just goes to show the type of education and trouble our faith is in right now. Pray to God to elect a Pope that will make the Church stronger again, and pray for the people that are being misled by the society we live in.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi Jerry, There was another Catholic dating site I signed up with several years ago...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi Jerry,

There was another Catholic dating site I signed up with several years ago, and, as I recall, one of the requirements of membership was a statement of fidelity to the Magisterial teachings of our Church, including a statement that one was truly free to enter a dating relationship. It might limit membership here, but would that witness for fidelity to the Church perhaps help those Catholics who are in dissent from Church teachings to re-examine their thinking?

--hide--

I can see your point, Jan, but should we turn our backs on those who are having struggles with their faith? Perhaps it speaks to their intent that they are on a Catholic Dating site in the first place, even though they have doubts, that they truly do want to learn more about the faith and come to know other Catholics. I think a good 65+% of those you refer to are a lack of education in the precepts/truths of the faith rather than personages of devious intent attempt to ensnare faithful catholics in heartbreak. One does not fight ignorance with exclusion or hatred, but with truth.

Mar 12th 2013 new

Jan,

Thank you for posting this question. I don't think that people that are 100 percent faithful should be banned because fellowship with so many faithful Catholics might help them reconsider and because we would miss out on some neat people in the group BUT I am not so naive as to believe that none of the divorced members are using the site for dating purposes. I really like your idea of adding a feature that somehow helps people see why ALL of the teachings make sense.

I do think that people may lack faithfulness to Church teachings and be better than me in many other ways. But it is a commentary on the faith in our Church. If the Church could be wrong about extra-marital sex or birth control it could be wrong about anything. If I could disagree with the Church on items of faith or morals AND be right, that would mean that the Holy Spirit was guiding me better than He was guiding the Church. I (sort of) used to think that way before I became Catholic, so I can't judge anyone.

I became Catholic when I was sure that I could believe everything the Church taught. Now, I just have to work on being a good Catholic.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Sam-948516 said: Sorry for the late post, but does the Church not teach that if you do not hold all of the required ...
(Quote) Sam-948516 said:

Sorry for the late post, but does the Church not teach that if you do not hold all of the required dogma you are excommunicate yourself de facto?

--hide--

No, the Church does not teach this. Said people are not in union with the Church, but they are not excommunicated.

Mar 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Sam-948516 said: Sorry for the late post, but does the Church not t...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Sam-948516 said:

No, the Church does not teach this. Said people are not in union with the Church, but they are not excommunicated.

--hide--
Are they Vegans ?

Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Education, education, education! Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Education, education, education!

Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them to give the hard homilies. I'm sick of hearing about how its responsible stewardship to use energy efficient light bulbs, where's the homilies on marriage? On why contraception is a grave sin? Where's the public scoulding and excommunication of politicans and public catholics who make it very obvious they don't agree with the Church while still taking communion on Sunday?

Are we supporting and encouraging teachers in our Catholic schools to teach the Faith, not what Buddhist architecture looks like?

Are we Sunday Catholics where our Faith is a hobby kept private from the secular world? Do we stand up for the unborn, for marriage, for the dignity of the human person in our work places and amongst our friends when people start supporting "gay marriage" and abortion?

There's lots we can do. Over the last 2000 years there have been Catholics who have made the ultimate witness to the faith, being killed for Jesus. HOw the heck can we not be doing more? What are we endanger of? Creating a bit of social awkwardness? Seesh.

Making people uncomfortable with Catholic and Pro-Life posts on FB, really, how does that hurt us?

Catholics, put on your big kid pants and start living the faith, start vocalising it, stop being a pack of wussies. Frankly, I see people justifying their sin by pointing to paedophile priests and really, it says more about them and their understanding of the faith then it does about those child raping pigs.

--hide--

Naomi,

You absolutely kill me! Everytime I read your posts, even if I am having a bad day, it just cheers me up! Glad to see you're sticking to your guns too! :)

Mar 13th 2013 new
This is my first post. I appreciated David's posts on this thread. I am not a 7/7. I am growing and learning in my faith. I spend my life in service to others in my job and take care of my two small children. I am divorced but working on an annulment. I have a similar story to Heather's. My husband walked out with no warning and moved in with another Catholic woman who had left her husband after he had moved me a plane ride away from my family. I joined this site not to date but rather to make my mother happy :-). She is a widow and had been on the site in the past. I spend most of my time reading the threads in the women's room, the single parent room, and the threads pertaining to annulments. I'm not cruising profiles and sending winks left and right :-). My mom and some of my Catholic coworkers and I have discussed some of the topics from the threads. So I think it is very positive. I just wanted some folks to know a little of my story, "a divorced," and not a 7/7. I'm not who the site is made for, but it has still helped me.
Mar 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Sara-951240 said: This is my first post. I appreciated David's posts on this thread. I am not a 7/7. I am growing and l...
(Quote) Sara-951240 said: This is my first post. I appreciated David's posts on this thread. I am not a 7/7. I am growing and learning in my faith. I spend my life in service to others in my job and take care of my two small children. I am divorced but working on an annulment. I have a similar story to Heather's. My husband walked out with no warning and moved in with another Catholic woman who had left her husband after he had moved me a plane ride away from my family. I joined this site not to date but rather to make my mother happy :-). She is a widow and had been on the site in the past. I spend most of my time reading the threads in the women's room, the single parent room, and the threads pertaining to annulments. I'm not cruising profiles and sending winks left and right :-). My mom and some of my Catholic coworkers and I have discussed some of the topics from the threads. So I think it is very positive. I just wanted some folks to know a little of my story, "a divorced," and not a 7/7. I'm not who the site is made for, but it has still helped me.
--hide--
Welcome to the Forums Sara.We are all a work in progress.Pray to the Mother of God.She will guide you.

Mar 13th 2013 new

"Faithful Catholicism"

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 7:08pm

www.mrctv.org

Mar 13th 2013 new
Thank you so much. I will take a look at that.
Posts 81 - 90 of 98