Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Feb 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Absolutely, Marge! I enjoyed being an older mom, starting at age 35...and didn't think that...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Absolutely, Marge! I enjoyed being an older mom, starting at age 35...and didn't think that I'd be ready for grandkids yet, but age 55, along came the first granddaugher, and I fell in love all over again...

Just like having kids, your heart expands with each new birth!

--hide--

You said it Beverly!

When I cuddled my 1st Grandson 10 years ago I felt like he belonged in my arms every bit as much as my own children did. Perhaps more because there is no fear...just absolute, unconditional love. And I've felt the same way for the next 6 grandchildren.

Feb 28th 2013 new

They are absolutely wonderful!!! Mine range in age from 16 to 5. The girls have all been "grandma's girls" from the get-go. I can't imagine my life without them. They will melt your heart.

I will have to share one little story. Mackenzie was in first grade, and I went to a function at her school. She saw me in the audience and walked off the stage and gave me hug and kiss and went back on stage. She was my first and even at 16 she is still a grandma's girl.

I have 3 granddaugters and 1 step-granson, and I don't treat him any differently. They are all special. This grandma is a spoiler too. You spoil them and then send them home.

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Are grandchildren all they're cracked up to be?
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Are grandchildren all they're cracked up to be?

--hide--

YES, and I happen to have the cutest granddaughter that ever lived.

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-54311 said: YES, and I happen to have the cutest granddaughter that ever lived.
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

--hide--
Tom, I thought my mother had the cutest grand kids ever!!!!
Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-54311 said: YES, and I happen to have the cutest granddaughter that ever lived.
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

--hide--
Tom, I thought my mother had the cutest grand kids ever!!!!
Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: Dear God, please make me a grandfather but not just yet! At least not until my kids are married! I have told the...
(Quote) David-364112 said: Dear God, please make me a grandfather but not just yet! At least not until my kids are married! I have told them that if there's ever a pregnancy I would raise the baby.
--hide--
I have told my kids I'm not old enough to be a grandmother yet. my practical side surprised my daughter when I said a pregnancy, while NOT in any way condoned, would not be the worst thing that I thought could happen to her (or my son fathering a child) given all the tragedies that someone could face. Explained that it would FOREVER change her life but ... manageable and full of blessings along with challenges.
Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I have told my kids I'm not old enough to be a grandmother yet. my practical side surprised my d...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I have told my kids I'm not old enough to be a grandmother yet. my practical side surprised my daughter when I said a pregnancy, while NOT in any way condoned, would not be the worst thing that I thought could happen to her (or my son fathering a child) given all the tragedies that someone could face. Explained that it would FOREVER change her life but ... manageable and full of blessings along with challenges.
--hide--

The LAST thing I want is for one of my kids to be in that situation, not want to place the child for adoption and feel forced to end the pregnancy. I doubt they'd do this, but still I make if very clear to them that I will raise any child they produce if, for whatever reason, they cannot or will not do that theselves. I'm not condoning sexual activity as some may mistakenly assume. If anything reminding them that offspring arte the natural result of sex, I may be helping to keep them away from that conduct.

Mar 1st 2013 new

It's the absolute best...!!! I have three granddaughters... eight, four & two years old. They are the sparkle of my life & bring joy to my whole family... just by exhisting...

I have an unusual amount of contact with them as my daughter moves back to Steubenville everytime her husband is deployed. (He just left for his third turn to Afghanistan.) It's an honor and a joy to help out. But as other's have implied... when the going gets tough... I GET TO GO HOME!!! *smirk* eyebrow rolling eyes angel

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: The LAST thing I want is for one of my kids to be in that situation, not want to pla...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

The LAST thing I want is for one of my kids to be in that situation, not want to place the child for adoption and feel forced to end the pregnancy. I doubt they'd do this, but still I make if very clear to them that I will raise any child they produce if, for whatever reason, they cannot or will not do that theselves. I'm not condoning sexual activity as some may mistakenly assume. If anything reminding them that offspring arte the natural result of sex, I may be helping to keep them away from that conduct.

--hide--

That's very noble of you David...

I'm sure your position will send a message to your kids on just how precious every soul is... You've certainly given them a lot to ponder... rose

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: No.I ask because I'm not particularly anxious to have grandchildren, and because when I d...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

No.
I ask because I'm not particularly anxious to have grandchildren, and because when I do...I really don't think I'll be very excited about them.

--hide--
Ouch, Marge -- that's almost sacreligious. wink (Just kidding.)

Grandchildren help bring out the youth that's still left in us. It's a golden opportunity to romp around on the floor when they're small; act silly (and not be criticized for it), nurture, and countless other things.

They are "little people". It's so enjoyable to see them develop and grow. It's amazing how fast they learn. When one of my grandchildren was 3 1/2 years old, she could engage me in a debate -- and win, too. irked They are constant sources of humor while trying to learn how to speak. The downside (if you really consider it to be) is that you will probably be changing diapers for a couple of years when they're in your care. They grow out of that stage fast enough though. Even that is a rewarding experience -- think of how much better the child feels afterward.

Another plus is that you can eventually send them home with their parents -- then crash from being worn out.

It's a chance to share experiences you can't do elsewhere -- the bonding, their affection, their acceptance and admiration of you.

Pre-schoolers are so much fun -- you can't help but enjoy them. Best of all is when they're little you can enjoy them running up to you for a hug. No questions asked.

"Try it -- you'll like it."

Posts 21 - 30 of 38