Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Marge-938695 said: No.I ask because I'm not particularly anx...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Marge-938695 said:

No.
I ask because I'm not particularly anxious to have grandchildren, and because when I do...I really don't think I'll be very excited about them.

Ouch, Marge -- that's almost sacreligious. (Just kidding.)

Grandchildren help bring out the youth that's still left in us. It's a golden opportunity to romp around on the floor when they're small; act silly (and not be criticized for it), nurture, and countless other things.

They are "little people". It's so enjoyable to see them develop and grow. It's amazing how fast they learn. When one of my grandchildren was 3 1/2 years old, she could engage me in a debate -- and win, too. They are constant sources of humor while trying to learn how to speak. The downside (if you really consider it to be) is that you will probably be changing diapers for a couple of years when they're in your care. They grow out of that stage fast enough though. Even that is a rewarding experience -- think of how much better the child feels afterward.

Another plus is that you can eventually send them home with their parents -- then crash from being worn out.

It's a chance to share experiences you can't do elsewhere -- the bonding, their affection, their acceptance and admiration of you.

Pre-schoolers are so much fun -- you can't help but enjoy them. Best of all is when they're little you can enjoy them running up to you for a hug. No questions asked.

"Try it -- you'll like it."

--hide--

Ray,

I agree verbatim.

One quick story. My grandson who is 3 1/2 enjoys my style of cooking. One morning early last year, I made him scrambled eggs. I prepare them light and fluffy. My daughter makes them a different way. Not that my way is right and hers is wrong. The next Saturday morning, she made him some eggs, he took one look at them with arms folded, started pouting and told her he wants them like grandpa makes them. She said he took one bite and left his table to watch TV. My daughter called me that night and shared that story. She ended the conversation with "dad, it is going to be a long ride". I will always remember that and so many others. I can just smile knowing I don't have to deal with any of the "child rearing" issues anymore.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Mar 1st 2013 new

Ray, maybe I'm not thrilled about the idea because I'm still not done raising my own kids. And, really, for me child-rearing has been an intellectual exercise, not an emotional one. What I enjoyed most about parenthood was sharing it with their father. Doing it on your own stinks.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Ray, maybe I'm not thrilled about the idea because I'm still not done raising my own kids...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Ray, maybe I'm not thrilled about the idea because I'm still not done raising my own kids. And, really, for me child-rearing has been an intellectual exercise, not an emotional one. What I enjoyed most about parenthood was sharing it with their father. Doing it on your own stinks.

--hide--
Well, Marge -- I can't say you're right, but I certainly wouldn't say you're wrong either. Circumstances can make all the difference in the world.

Parenting is a tough job nowadays with 2 parents. With only one parent? I can't even begin to imagine. It's tiring, seemingly never-ending, and possibly one of the closest things to sainthood on earth we can find.

Children in a single parent situation can still be looked at as the blessings they truly are. While there are situations over which people have no control, they do have control of their attitude. Children bring much joy into the home; each one is unique and has something different to offer. They can bring laughter, a sense of pride and other good feelings. Yes -- the innocence of childhood has an effect on us -- parents and grandparents alike.

An important factor in overwhelming situations is that you are able to spend some time doing what you want or need to do -- some "me time". It'll help preserve your sanity and ward off depression. Many CM members have often urged people to do just that. The old saying "one day at a time" bears a lot of truth. Are there other family members, friends or neighbors who can help serve as role models for your children's lack of having a father here on earth to do that?

The children do grow up, go out on their own and the nature of the relationship changes. Your own children will see what you had to go through. It's not a "getting even" deal, but learning through experience. Hopefully you'll be able to experience some emotional joy while raising your family. Those moments can never be replaced or recaptured.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: With only one parent? I can't even begin to imagine. It's tiring, seemingly never-ending, and poss...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: With only one parent? I can't even begin to imagine. It's tiring, seemingly never-ending, and possibly one of the closest things to sainthood on earth we can find.

Children in a single parent situation can still be looked at as the blessings they truly are. While there are situations over which people have no control, they do have control of their attitude. Children bring much joy into the home; each one is unique and has something different to offer. They can bring laughter, a sense of pride and other good feelings. Yes -- the innocence of childhood has an effect on us -- parents and grandparents alike.

An important factor in overwhelming situations is that you are able to spend some time doing what you want or need to do -- some "me time". It'll help preserve your sanity and ward off depression. Many CM members have often urged people to do just that. The old saying "one day at a time" bears a lot of truth. Are there other family members, friends or neighbors who can help serve as role models for your children's lack of having a father here on earth to do that?

The children do grow up, go out on their own and the nature of the relationship changes. Your own children will see what you had to go through. It's not a "getting even" deal, but learning through experience. Hopefully you'll be able to experience some emotional joy while raising your family. Those moments can never be replaced or recaptured.

--hide--
Thanks for all your wisdom, veryone, and for nuruting our children and grandchildren, our future.

Mar 1st 2013 new

Most of you are talking about young grandchildren. In my case, my husband and I took our first two grandchildren to raise when they were 3 and 2 years old, and at that time we were still trying to raise our second son who was a teenager. Everything was ok for a few years, then my husband began having a lot of health problems, and we let family help with them for a couple of years. Then our son (the grandkids' father) died, and the grandkids came back to us. My husband died, and the grandkids went to live with their mother and step-dad. They were evicted, and were going to be living in a tent, so I regained my custody but it became too much for me to handle by myself and I relinquished custody to the maternal grandmother. By then the grandkids were in high school, still on social security from their father. They looked to me for clothes, school supplies, spent holidays with me, etc. Fast forward a couple of years, the grandson quit school and got his GED, got married and divorced. The granddaughter had a baby when she was 17 1/2, giving me my first great-grandchild. They both think of me as their main helper and emergency money provider. I am just glad I stuck with teaching school all those years so I was able to help them. My other son has seven children, ages from 15 down to 4. I have been with them most of their lives, too. When I was growing up I wanted to have a big family. God answered my prayers, but not in the way I had in mind. I never had any children of my own. Our two sons were adopted. But look at me now! I am overrun with young grandchildren, and I am 75 years old. Not complaining, though, I love them all!

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Janice-537852 said: I never had any children of my own. Our two sons were adopted. But look at me now! I am overrun with yo...
(Quote) Janice-537852 said: I never had any children of my own. Our two sons were adopted. But look at me now! I am overrun with young grandchildren, and I am 75 years old. Not complaining, though, I love them all!

--hide--
God bless you for your open heart and open arms, Janice. I hope the grandkids and great-grandkids learn how to give back, too. You are rich w/family.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Janice-537852 said: Most of you are talking about young grandchildren. In my case, my husband and I took our first t...
(Quote) Janice-537852 said:

Most of you are talking about young grandchildren. In my case, my husband and I took our first two grandchildren to raise when they were 3 and 2 years old, and at that time we were still trying to raise our second son who was a teenager. Everything was ok for a few years, then my husband began having a lot of health problems, and we let family help with them for a couple of years. Then our son (the grandkids' father) died, and the grandkids came back to us. My husband died, and the grandkids went to live with their mother and step-dad. They were evicted, and were going to be living in a tent, so I regained my custody but it became too much for me to handle by myself and I relinquished custody to the maternal grandmother. By then the grandkids were in high school, still on social security from their father. They looked to me for clothes, school supplies, spent holidays with me, etc. Fast forward a couple of years, the grandson quit school and got his GED, got married and divorced. The granddaughter had a baby when she was 17 1/2, giving me my first great-grandchild. They both think of me as their main helper and emergency money provider. I am just glad I stuck with teaching school all those years so I was able to help them. My other son has seven children, ages from 15 down to 4. I have been with them most of their lives, too. When I was growing up I wanted to have a big family. God answered my prayers, but not in the way I had in mind. I never had any children of my own. Our two sons were adopted. But look at me now! I am overrun with young grandchildren, and I am 75 years old. Not complaining, though, I love them all!

--hide--

Wow Janice... What a story of generosity, courage & faith...!!!

You are an inspiriation. Thanks for sharing... rose rose rose

Mar 3rd 2013 new

Without a doubt! Grandchildren are a tremendous blessing.

There's nothing like holding your baby's baby...

watching them grow

playing with them

teaching them

loving them

spoiling them...and THEN...

sending them home to mama and daddy!!!

Posts 31 - 38 of 38