Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Was for two weeks back in the mid 80's and it was due to an ice storm. Luckily my heat and cook stove were gas and I had city water at the time. I used my charcoal pit outside as my refrigerator since it was cold and icy...

Thinking about these memories because the headline on Okc news says the town of Enid is without power this morning.....yikes. Saying some prayers someone figures out how to fix that soon....
Feb 26th 2013 new

Okay, I think you must be the record holder!
I guess my longest wasn't a winter storm, but the Consolidated Edison Niagara power failure in autumn of 1965 or '66. I think it lasted about 12 hours. We did our homework by candlelight, and my uncle was stuck in any elevator somewhere.

Feb 27th 2013 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Okay, I think you must be the record holder!I guess my longest wasn't a winter storm, but the Consolida...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Okay, I think you must be the record holder!
I guess my longest wasn't a winter storm, but the Consolidated Edison Niagara power failure in autumn of 1965 or '66. I think it lasted about 12 hours. We did our homework by candlelight, and my uncle was stuck in any elevator somewhere.

--hide--

The whole state was hit by ice storms and I think some people around McAlester were without power a month. It's actually not bad reading by lamplight as long as you have heat and a way to cook. Outside refrigerators work well enough as long as you have a place to store food away from varmints and the weather is cold.....
Feb 27th 2013 new

Wow, I have been without power before (due to thunder storms though) and I find it kind of exciting to read by candlelight but it has never been more than a day.

I couldn't imagine being without power for more than a few days. I remember back in 1997, when my family just moved to Kentucky because of my fathers job with 3M, we just moved into our house and it rained non-stop for the entire night and into the next day. Well, the little river in our town, over flooded which then in turn flooded the lower part of town. It was a birthday my sister will not forget, we were going to go to Pizza Hut to celebrate her birthday but when we got up in the morning and found out the town had flooded, there were flood water up to Pizza Hut's roof and we were without running water for two weeks. shocked and there was no school for two weeks as well. biggrin but in the end we had to make up all those days we missed at the end of the school year. sad My family lived near the golf course, so several people who lived around us including my family went down to the water traps and to buckets of water so we could flush the toilet, cook, clean, etc. The worst part of this whole ordeal was, we checked daily to see if the water had turned back on but it got to the point we weren't sure if the handles to turn the water on and off was in the on position or the off position because the handles were all off sync from each other. So, it was about two weeks later, we are all downstairs and we see that the ceiling is dripping water scratchchin I run upstairs and discovered that the water is indeed back on but the bathtub and the sinks have flooded over. wide eyed eyepopping Luckily though, my dad's plans were to remodel the entire house so the water damage just added a little more work.

Feb 28th 2013 new

We were without power for almost a week due to an ice storm. We had a gas stove and a couple of fireplaces so we had food and kept warm. We had a small generator to run the pump and the deep freeze (it was full of meat). We had livestock so we had to have water. We had fun playing games by the light of the fireplace and candles.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5