Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

This room is intended to be a safe place for discussion related to living as a single Catholic who has experienced the death of a spouse. Support, words of encouragement, advice, personal testimony, and opinions are welcomed, however, posts outside of that spirit will be removed.

Resources for Widowed Catholics

5 Tips on Dating in the Midst of Grief

A Time of Peace and Grace

Good St. Ann, Please Bring Me A Man

Eternal Rest: Prayers for All Souls

Deceased Loved Ones Manipulate Heavenly Strings For Us

A Widower's Struggle

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Saint Raphael said: This room is intended to be a safe place for discussion related to living as a single Catholic w...
(Quote) Saint Raphael said:

This room is intended to be a safe place for discussion related to living as a single Catholic who has experienced the death of a spouse. Support, words of encouragement, advice, personal testimony, and opinions are welcomed, however, posts outside of that spirit will be removed.

A Widower's Struggle

--hide--
Thanks

Mar 25th 2013 new

I have been widowed for 3 years. I was fortunate to have found a group called "The Beginning Experience" that has helped me with my grief process, and also with friendships. This is not, strictly speaking, a support group, because the format is a weekend retreat that provides the retreatants with tools to work through their grief. But our local chapter does get together for lunch on Saturdays, at our convenience, and that helps to build friendships and provides an outlet for the retreatants to discuss any issues they may have, as they choose. It is also not a matchmaking or dating outlet; it is a safe place for those who are hurting in different ways from a relationship that has ended. Let me tell you a little about this ministry.

The Beginning Experience weekend was inspired in north Texas in 1973, when two women who realized that at the time there were no resources in the Catholic church for the divorced, attended a Marriage Encounter. One was Sister Josephine Stewart, SSMN, and the other was her friend, Ms. Jo Lamia, a divorced woman. Ms. Lamia's participation in the weekend resulted in her writing a letter to her former husband that made such a profound impression on both of them that they started the retreat weekend, based on the format of the Marriage Encounter.

The Beginning Experience is for widowed, separated, and divorced women and men. Although it was started by Catholics, it is not exclusive to Catholics, and in my area we have Christians of several denominations come to our retreats and even working on our team. The ministry is guided by professionals in counseling and the Church, having the blessings of bishops throughout the United States and even overseas.

I hope you will look at the International Ministry Center's website, and then be able to find a chapter in your area. It's really a helpful experience; it could be the beginning of a new you or a new life for you. We do not promise miraculous healing on the weekend; we do promise support, prayers, and friendship, should you choose to avail yourself of it.

The International website is: www.beginningexperience.org. From there, you can look up chapters in your region. I wish you peace, in whatever way you can find it.

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Saint Raphael said: This room is intended to be a safe place for discussion related to living as a single Catholic w...
(Quote) Saint Raphael said:

A Widower's Struggle

--hide--

Thank you so much for this info. It's a great one.

Mar 28th 2013 new

I too attended a Beginning Expereince weekend in San Diego and echo everythihg said! It helped me move on as was the catalyst for joining Cathoilic Match as I felt ready to begin a new relationship after 3 years of widowhood. I encourage ANYONE and EVERYONE to attend when you are ready!

Apr 2nd 2013 new

Thanks so much! Praying hug smile

Apr 27th 2013 new

I also attended this weekend in San Diego, but that was @ 9 years ago. Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I went with two widowed friends and we definatly felt a little lost. Most of those attending were divorced which seemed to come from a very different world from ours. But like I said that was 9 yrs ago when it was first beginning. Glad to hear it was of benefit.

Jul 15th 2013 new
Hi Michelle, I have been a part of Beginning Experience for the last 3 years; first as a participant and then as a facilitator. It has helped me so much, and I have told other CMers about it. It is a big part of my life, and I highly recommend it!
Posts 1 - 8 of 8