Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: Yes, people from other states are more than welcome to show up. It's a public place and...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

Yes, people from other states are more than welcome to show up. It's a public place and a CM funtion, no one will be turned away, unless your name is Alice. So, Illinois, Iowa (did I just really invite Iowans? *l*), Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin. You name it, show up. Arrangements can be made to pick you up, Patricia. If anything else, I'll do it. Not saying you won't regret me picking you up, but I'm just saying. *l*

--hide--

:ahem: You know there's more than just polar bears, moose, Santa, and beavers to the north of you too tongue Canada

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: I suppose the people from Michigan and Indiana can come as well. Just need to make sure we ...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

I suppose the people from Michigan and Indiana can come as well. Just need to make sure we keep the Iowans to a minimum. I keed. I keed.

This plan will come together, Patricia. That I can promise you. We've been thinking and planning this for a wee bit. Just have to make some calls to the Shrine.

--hide--

Well, Dan, since you've turned into the official inviter, it sounds like you need to invite the Canadians too (excluding their wildlife, of course)!Beaver penguin gobble gobble gobble! Bunny!

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Al-939544 said: Alice that sounds fun ..sign me up and even though I am close to the Shrine I have to say I...
(Quote) Al-939544 said:

Alice that sounds fun ..sign me up and even though I am close to the Shrine I have to say I have never gone.

--hide--

Al, I've got a list going and you are on it!

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: Al, I've got a list going and you are on it!
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

Al, I've got a list going and you are on it!

--hide--

it would be a really prelimary "maybe" for me... I might have to work that weekend sad

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: You know there's more than just polar bears, moose, Santa, and beavers to the north...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

You know there's more than just polar bears, moose, Santa, and beavers to the north of you too

--hide--

Nose-rubbing Eskimos? biggrin

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: it would be a really prelimary "maybe" for me... I might have to work that wee...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

it would be a really prelimary "maybe" for me... I might have to work that weekend

--hide--

Michael, is the glass half full or half empty? Maybe you will come! RSVP later if you can. biggrin

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I just want to let you know that there is virtually no hotel availability - particularl...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I just want to let you know that there is virtually no hotel availability - particularly Friday night. I would have to come in the day before and leave the day after and so searched several sites for hotel room for 2 nights. Almost every hotel is booked solid (so I think there must be some type of event going on in or near La Crosse). I only found 2 expensive hotels (over $100 per night plus tax) that had any openings at all. I don't know if this would be an issue for anyone else, but for those coming any distance, would likely have to at least come in Friday night to stay over (definitely if taking the train as there is only one train per day each way.) I would be happy to stay 2 nights, but there is no way I can spend that much (as I am also going to CM Phoenix at the end of April). I've never seen so many hotels booked solid, and I tried both Orbitz and Booking and Expedia. I also tried looking for Bed and Breakfasts and couldn't find anything open downtown La Crosse (train station I believe is near downtown area). Any suggestions?

--hide--

Oh dear. There may be a cow-tipping convention going on (I here it's best to tip bovine at 20%). Lodging - Winona is very close, as is Rochester. I hope you can find something and join us.

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: There is some stirring among the Minnesotans....perhaps a pilgrimage to the Shrine o...

There is some stirring among the Minnesotans....perhaps a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, WI in mid-May - Mass, lunch, walk-about... Interest? Thoughts? We would need to RSVP for the restaurant.

www.guadalupeshrine.org

Now is as good a time as any to float the idea...

--hide--

I went on a pilgrimage to the shrine in La Crosse last fall. It was a rainy day, but still enjoyed the visit. I love the church that is there. It is very beautiful. The Memorial to the Unborn is so special.

Depending on when the pilgrimage is, I would be interested in driving up to meet everyone. wink

Peace and prayers,

Shirley

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Al-939544 said: Patricia I am willing to pick you up and bring you to Rochester where there are plenty of h...
(Quote) Al-939544 said:

Patricia I am willing to pick you up and bring you to Rochester where there are plenty of hotels thanks to the Mayo Clinic. I have taken that train from Winona to Chicago and it is a nice ride. Where you planning on getting off at Winona that would be the best for me?

--hide--

Hi, Al, and thank you, that is a wonderful offer! wave Another good Catholic gentleman - wow!knight-errant

So, I did the research, and you are absolutely right. There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels in Rochester with rooms availabe priced at about $50 plus tax per night with breakfast included . And then I checked Amtrak and it looks like the train gets into Winona about 7:50PM on Friday night and leaves Winona Sunday morning about 10:11AM (and I say about for both times as, of course, it depends on the train being on schedule).( I'm posting all this info here in case anyone else from Chicago or surrounding area would be thinking of taking the Amtrak train.)

So, based on this, it looks like I might be coming to this event (depending on the kindness of strangers - or in this case,a gentleman named Alclap )

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: Oh dear. There may be a cow-tipping convention going on (I here it's best to tip...

Oh dear. There may be a cow-tipping convention going on (I here it's best to tip bovine at 20%). Lodging - Winona is very close, as is Rochester. I hope you can find something and join us.

--hide--

As I just posted, lots of rooms available in Rochester (I didn't check Winona - I'm unfamiliar with the locations of towns/cities there so I just based my search on what Al said and he was right!) So, tentatively put me on your list (and I will finalize with you after all reservations for train/hotel and generous offer of transportation (ie., Al) are confirmed.biggrin

Posts 21 - 30 of 107