Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Peter et alia,All this compl...
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Hi Peter et alia,

All this complexity makes me wonder about it all, and fill me with the sense that I'll never figure it all out, which of course has a probability of exactly 1.0 of occurring. First there were the four "elements": earth, air, fire, and water. Then there were atoms. Then atoms were discovered to be made of electrons, protons, and neutrons. Then those particles were discovered to have internal structure (except for the electron). Then strings. And then... who knows? Maybe it is "turtles all the way down'.

James ☺

Hi James, do you mean that it is not shields and deeds all the way to Valhalla lol ? Good to see you again.

--hide--

Hi Bernie et alia,

Hi Bernie, it's great seeing you too smile. How have you been?

Jim ☺

Mar 4th 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: (Quote) Peter-933860 said: (Quote) Naomi-698107 said: <...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Quote:
Peter-933860 said:

Quote:
Naomi-698107 said:

I generally think "Wow! God knows a heap of stuff! Maybe I should have asked him for help with my chemistry/physics homework?"

I'm even more amazed by evolution. To be able to know what pathway an organism would take from its single celled beginning in the ooze to, well, us!

I think space has stuff in it, well, not full of it, otherwise it wouldn't be "space". God plastered all those worlds out there, stars, suns, not just for us to find in our generation, but for all future generations to discover.

And I do think, maybe, somewhere out there, is a world, not unlike Earth, or maybe completely different, that has intelligent life on it. How it relates to God, I don't know, but I'm not arrogant enough to think humans are it, and I don't want to pigeonhole God into some square of creation.

God is thoroughly and utterly amazing, His creation expands beyond anything we as mere mortals could ever imagine, and half the fun, is trying to!

Poor atheists, I think it takes more faith to think all this came from nothing, as opposed to some "flying spaghetti monster".

Poor, poor atheists.

The thing is that the "empty" space, for example inside the atom or between two planets, is actually filled with virtual particles which aren't real particles but can become real if given enough energy. What we think is empty isn't. Even the empty space inside ourselves.

Antimatter which is perceived to be so dangerous (for example in the movie Angels and Demons a small amount of antimatter contained inside a capsule was made into a very powerful bomb) is actually everywhere around us. We are actually made of both matter and antimatter. A proton is made of a vast amount of matter and antimatter rushing around at a speed very close to that of light, constantly smashing together annihilating each other and turning into new particles.

Hi Peter et alia,

A protron is made of matter and antimatter? I've never heard this before; however, it has been a little while since I looked at nuclear physics. Can you cite the source of your information?

James ☺

--hide--

Erratum: "protron" should be proton. There are no "protrons". Any confusion is regretted.

Mar 4th 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Peter et alia,Warnings are indeed warranted. It is kind of late in Chicago, so ...

Hi Peter et alia,

Warnings are indeed warranted. It is kind of late in Chicago, so I will make this brief. Creation "science" starts with the logical fallacy of foundational bias, in which everything in the Bible must be taken as literally true. All science done afterwards, real or otherwise, must be shoehorned to fit the Bible. This is not the way science is done. Experiments are done, evidence is tested, and current scientific theories and hypothesises are either modified or junked.

I mentioned foundational bias in the last paragraph. Pope Pius X was famous for writing that Modernism synthesis of all heresies. It could with some justification be said that foundational bias is the synthesis of all other biases.

James ☺

--hide--
I respect the creationists willingness to treat the Bible with such fidelity but when taking Genesis literally one faces serious problems right in the very first chapter. In verse one earth is created but light isn't created until verse three on the first day. The problem is that for the very existence of our planet light is a absolute requirement. For atoms to exist electrons has to interact with protons and photons are the force carrier through which this interaction takes place. Light is what binds us together.

Mar 4th 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Peter et alia,All this complexity makes me wonder about it all, and fill me wit...

Hi Peter et alia,

All this complexity makes me wonder about it all, and fill me with the sense that I'll never figure it all out, which of course has a probability of exactly 1.0 of occurring. First there were the four "elements": earth, air, fire, and water. Then there were atoms. Then atoms were discovered to be made of electrons, protons, and neutrons. Then those particles were discovered to have internal structure (except for the electron). Then strings. And then... who knows? Maybe it is "turtles all the way down'.

James ☺

--hide--
In heaven, I sooo look forward to sit down with our Father, throw a couple of steaks on the grill and share a six pack or two and listen to how He really did it.

Mar 4th 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Peter et alia,A protron is made of matter and antimatter? I've never he...

Hi Peter et alia,

A protron is made of matter and antimatter? I've never heard this before; however, it has been a little while since I looked at nuclear physics. Can you cite the source of your information?

James ☺

--hide--
Here is a good place to start lerning more about the true nature of protons tinyurl.com

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Peter et alia,All this complexity makes me wonder about it all, and fill me wit...

Hi Peter et alia,

James ☺

--hide--
But James, they think they found the God particle now??? You mean they didn't???

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: I respect the creationists willingness to treat the Bible with such fidelity but when taking Gene...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

I respect the creationists willingness to treat the Bible with such fidelity but when taking Genesis literally one faces serious problems right in the very first chapter. In verse one earth is created but light isn't created until verse three on the first day. The problem is that for the very existence of our planet light is a absolute requirement. For atoms to exist electrons has to interact with protons and photons are the force carrier through which this interaction takes place. Light is what binds us together.

--hide--

I am not about to get into a scientific argument with you.

But your post indicates that you are forgetting that God is not constrained by anything He creates. So, it is possible for Him to Create the Earth, long before he created light.

Ultimately, the only thing earth requires to exist is God.

The Church teaches that we are free to believe the creation story verbatim as it is stated in the Bible or that the whole act of creation could have taken 13 billion or any number of years. The only thing we must believe is that God did it.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: But James, they think they found the God particle now??? You mean they didn't???
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

But James, they think they found the God particle now??? You mean they didn't???

--hide--
The name "the God particle" was just a silly way of naming a book, but since it was silly and catchy it caught on among those who have no real clue about any kind of particle. The Higgs Boson is, according to the theory, what gives other particles most of their mass. Not all of their mass but most of it. What makes mass so important is that it is what's required to allow gravity to take effect and ultimately form massive objects like planets, stars and black holes from hydrogen molecules.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I am not about to get into a scientific argument with you. But your post indicates...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I am not about to get into a scientific argument with you.

But your post indicates that you are forgetting that God is not constrained by anything He creates. So, it is possible for Him to Create the Earth, long before he created light.

Ultimately, the only thing earth requires to exist is God.

The Church teaches that we are free to believe the creation story verbatim as it is stated in the Bible or that the whole act of creation could have taken 13 billion or any number of years. The only thing we must believe is that God did it.

--hide--
You are missing the point that light is what holds atoms together. No light, no atoms and no earth.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: You are missing the point that light is what holds atoms together. No light, no atoms and no eart...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

You are missing the point that light is what holds atoms together. No light, no atoms and no earth.

--hide--

No, you are missing the point. The only thing rquired to hold ANYTHING in existence is God. No ifs, ands or buts.

Science is able to explain the mechanisms that God created, but it cannot expalin God, nor what He can or can't do. God can do anything except a contradiction. He is not constrined by the law of physics as He is the author of those laws.

Posts 11 - 20 of 74