Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 9th 2013 new

One thing I would like to point out is that we were present before the creation of the earth. This is one of those fabulous mysteries that exist in the Cathoic church that we can dwell on. How were we present? Only God can know, but every part of us was created in his image. In fact, the creation story is where Catholics get the idea that animals will experience some type of "heaven". Because after God creates everything he says that "it is Good". He also frequently talks in the bible about the love he has for his creation. The reason we will live forever isn't because we are made in his image, but rather that his love is eternal. So it is his love in us that lives on. Just the same as his love in his creatures and creation will live on. It gets pretty fuzzy after that. Not alot of theologians spend time concerning themselves with the possibility of an after-life for dogs. But I'm not sure if I could handle the world if I thought of all these animals who suffer their entire lives from cruelty never get to experience love. This is a separating point for Catholics and Protestants.....and boy am I glad I'm Catholic. I grew up on a farm and I LOVE creation. Every single flower I grow is special to me. My animals even more so. It's nice to know that these will be part of eternity.

Mar 9th 2013 new

One thing I would like to point out is that we were present before the creation of the earth. This is one of those fabulous mysteries that exist in the Cathoic church that we can dwell on. How were we present? Only God can know, but every part of us was created in his image. In fact, the creation story is where Catholics get the idea that animals will experience some type of "heaven". Because after God creates everything he says that "it is Good". He also frequently talks in the bible about the love he has for his creation. The reason we will live forever isn't because we are made in his image, but rather that his love is eternal. So it is his love in us that lives on. Just the same as his love in his creatures and creation will live on. It gets pretty fuzzy after that. Not alot of theologians spend time concerning themselves with the possibility of an after-life for dogs. But I'm not sure if I could handle the world if I thought of all these animals who suffer their entire lives from cruelty never get to experience love. This is a separating point for Catholics and Protestants.....and boy am I glad I'm Catholic. I grew up on a farm and I LOVE creation. Every single flower I grow is special to me. My animals even more so. It's nice to know that these will be part of eternity.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: One thing I would like to point out is that we were present before the creation of the earth. T...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

--hide--

Marissa, it appears you keep hitting the "Submit Postr" key twice when you post so that all your notes are duplicated. Hit it just once, please.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Yes! He could also have created everything in one instance as the Big Bang theory ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Yes!

He could also have created everything in one instance as the Big Bang theory suggests with everything evolving from that by the laws he created to "operate" the world. That would even allow for the extremist form of Darwin's theory except that we are required to believe that at some point in that process He directly intervened and infused a primate with a soul and at that point created man in His own image and likeness.

It is also possible that this all occurred a mere 6-7 thousand years ago and the scientific evidence that exists to show the earth to be 13+ billion years old is just one of God's "jokes" on mankind to show man that in the end we really are not as smart as we think we are.

--hide--

Paul, I like the fact that the Catholic Church leaves us free to ponder this for ourselves. I don't believe that anyone should be dogmatic when defining the creation as no one was there to see how it was done. No one will be able to prove, empirically, that the universe is 13+ billion years old or 6-7 thousand years old, but it is very interesting to think about.

Personally, I don't believe that humans evolved from primates. Simply showing that DNA is a very close match isn't enough to convince me. God used the same building blocks for everything and this is evidenced everywhere in living creatures. I believe that we are a special creation with the ability to love and glorify the Lord with our own intellect. Humans are unique in this trait.

Additionally, no one has been able to convince me by empirical evidence that the universe is 13+ billion years old. The stars, being light years away, do not testify to this, especially for proponents of the Big Bang. The Big Bang is quite compatible with the Biblical view of God "stretching out the heavens." So, all the stars with their light were in one area until God stretched them out. In other words, the light from the stars was already here at the point God stretched out the heavens (or Big Bang, if you prefer). We should not, therefore, be measuring how long the light took to get from the furthest stars to the earth. This, in itself, poses a conundrum for Big Bang/Old Universe proponents. scratchchin

This is my opinion and I hope I've shared it charitably. I don't wish to start a ruckus around here. wink

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: One thing I would like to point out is that we were present before the creation of the earth. T...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

--hide--

Marissa, I am so glad you posted this. I love creation as well. I was so despondent when I had to put my cat to sleep. His kidneys had shut down and was the humane thing to do. Very difficult. I held him for his last seconds on earth. He knew I was there.

Last night after coming home I stared at the stars. It was a clear night and so beautiful. So breathtaking. So awesome. We have an awesome God. And yes I am very glad I came back to the Catholic Church. Thank you again for your post!

Mar 9th 2013 new
Yes, I know what you mean Jim, losing pets is hard. I've lost a few myself. That's the one thing the church disagrees with science on, the idea that the world is "chaos". The church teaches, and I believe this, that everything is "intended". That rose bloomed on that day for a purpose. I always liked the bible reading that said God knew how many hairs were on our head. My grandparents always said that creation was a clue as to how God loved us. If he has enough love to be able to will into being every single blade of grass and to count every drop of water, that is alot of love. So I always find a bit of comfort in the fact that it was Gods will for an animal to die. Because I know it is for his good. It's interesting that we are the only church that at least I know of to teach this. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Yes, I know what you mean Jim, losing pets is hard. I've lost a few myself. That's the one thi...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Yes, I know what you mean Jim, losing pets is hard. I've lost a few myself. That's the one thing the church disagrees with science on, the idea that the world is "chaos". The church teaches, and I believe this, that everything is "intended". That rose bloomed on that day for a purpose. I always liked the bible reading that said God knew how many hairs were on our head. My grandparents always said that creation was a clue as to how God loved us. If he has enough love to be able to will into being every single blade of grass and to count every drop of water, that is alot of love. So I always find a bit of comfort in the fact that it was Gods will for an animal to die. Because I know it is for his good. It's interesting that we are the only church that at least I know of to teach this. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.
--hide--

Marissa, I will add one more thing. I have studied the Passion of Our Lord. When you read all that his scourging and crucifixion entailed it tells me Jesus is DEEPLY in love with us. That is a bit of an understatement but I don't know any other way to put it. And yes he knows how many hairs are on our heads. There is such a depth to Catholic Teaching that protestants lack, and miss.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-13836 said: Marissa, I will add one more thing. I have studied the Passion of Our Lord. When you re...
(Quote) Jim-13836 said:

Marissa, I will add one more thing. I have studied the Passion of Our Lord. When you read all that his scourging and crucifixion entailed it tells me Jesus is DEEPLY in love with us. That is a bit of an understatement but I don't know any other way to put it. And yes he knows how many hairs are on our heads. There is such a depth to Catholic Teaching that protestants lack, and miss.

--hide--

AMEN Jim clap AMEN clap Welcome home my Catholic brother. it is pleasure and a privilege ot have oyu back. hug

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: AMEN Jim AMEN Welcome home my Catholic brother. it is pleasure and a privilege ot have o...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

AMEN Jim AMEN Welcome home my Catholic brother. it is pleasure and a privilege ot have oyu back.

--hide--

Thank you Shara. I have been back for about a decade but there is so much I don't know that I am trying to play catch up.

BTW I have appreciated your comments on other threads. You are a very devout Catholic sister, with a deep mind and the ability to express those thought really well.

I am glad to be back!

Mar 9th 2013 new
Boy Jim are you right. I think maybe that's why I find the Passion so intimidating for me. It's hard for me to study it. A man at our church is encouraging me to see the movie "The Passion"...but I'm actually scared. I know someday I will get my courage up, it's just a matter of time.
Posts 41 - 50 of 74