(Quote) ED-20630 said:
I read in a USA Today article that his full official title is now "His Holiness Benedict XVI, Roman pontiff emeritus".
I think that Pope Emeritus Benedict could not have been more clear that he no longer has papal authority. Just a few signs and gestures from the past few days:
1) His Papal "fisherman's" ring (which he had worn on his right hand) was destroyed. This is done with all papal rings after the Pope (usually) dies. This ring symbolizes his papal authority and is physically used (with hot wax) to officially seal Papal documents. For more info concerning this, see the article (in bold font) at the end of this post.
2) He has removed the red Papal shoes, which symbolize the blood of martyrs, and replace them with simple brown shoes (received as a gift from his visit to Mexico).
3) On Thursday he told the cardinals, "Among you is also the future pope, whom I today promise my unconditional reverence and obedience."
4) His (former) apartment at the Vatican will be sealed off during the conclave to select a new Pope to ensure no documents in process prior to his resignation will be issued.
5) As of 8:00 PM on Thursday, he no longer has the real or ceremonial personal protection of the Swiss Guard.
6) And perhaps least of these symbols of the papacy.... He will no longer use the pope-mobile.
I think that he has made it about as clear as possible that he definitely no longer has the authority of the Pope.
Copied from the New York Daily News: www.nydailynews.com
Once Benedict officially relinquishes his papal miter Thursday, his fisherman’s ring will be destroyed using a special silver hammer. The moment symbolizes the end of the Pope’s authority and also serves a more practical purpose.
It is a signet ring, used to officially seal documents and ensure their authenticity.
“This is to make sure no one will forge a document in the Pope’s name after the Pope dies,” said Fordham University theology Prof. Maureen Tilley.
Benedict’s apartment at the Vatican will also be sealed off during the conclave to select a new Pope to ensure no documents in process prior to his resignation will be issued.