Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 20th 2013 new

Stand up for what is right even if you stand alone.

God has a reason for allowing things to happen...we may never understand his wisdom but we simply have to trust God's will.

Beautiful things can happen in your life when you distance yourself from all the negative things in life.

Mar 20th 2013 new

I like this one.

"Mercy is far more than nice thoughts, a kind disposition, sympathetic feelings, or a loving demeanor. Mercy realizes that someone is hurting and gets involved." Lloyd John Ogilvie

Mar 20th 2013 new

Always look on the bright side of life

Mar 21st 2013 new

I have learned it is best to have very few to no expectations of most people, and meet them where they are in life. For example....I can't force someone to give me something they don't have to give. Such as, if I want to be friends with someone, then I have to accept the level of frienship they are able to give rather than expect more. As a child in elementary school I would get in fights with my best friend because I would accuse her of not being a good enough friend. Trying to force my idea and expectations of what a "good friend" is on my best freind strained our freindship a lot, and if I had just accepted her as she was and her idea of friend then we would have had no issue at all.

I hope I made sense here. Realizing this though has helped me a great deal and allowed me to accept and get along with all kinds of people with little to no conflict...even without compromising my beliefs.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Amy-951411 said: I have learned it is best to have very few to no expectations of most people, and meet them where t...
(Quote) Amy-951411 said:

I have learned it is best to have very few to no expectations of most people, and meet them where they are in life. For example....I can't force someone to give me something they don't have to give. Such as, if I want to be friends with someone, then I have to accept the level of frienship they are able to give rather than expect more. As a child in elementary school I would get in fights with my best friend because I would accuse her of not being a good enough friend. Trying to force my idea and expectations of what a "good friend" is on my best freind strained our freindship a lot, and if I had just accepted her as she was and her idea of friend then we would have had no issue at all.

I hope I made sense here. Realizing this though has helped me a great deal and allowed me to accept and get along with all kinds of people with little to no conflict...even without compromising my beliefs.

--hide--

I agree with you Amy.

It's better not to expect so much from anybody. Sometimes good things happens to you the least you expect them. biggrin

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Although I do not have everything I wanted, God gave me everything I needed.
Thus, I feel blessed and know that God really love me. theheart

Mar 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lea-938919 said: Hi Everyone I recently joined this site (about a month ago) and this is my first topic/post. As we grow and mat...
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

Hi Everyone I recently joined this site (about a month ago) and this is my first topic/post. As we grow and mature we learn many lessons in life. Everything happens for a reason and for everything that happen, we learn some lessons. I thought it would be great to share the lessons we learned in life to our fellow CM members. So will you join me on this thread?

--hide--
What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterized by respect, sharing and trust. They are based on the belief that both partners are equal, that the power and control in the relationship are equally shared. Some of the characteristics of a healthy relationship are: Respect - listening to one another, valuing each other's opinions, and listening in a non-judgmental manner. Respect also involves attempting to understand and affirm the other's emotions. Trust and support - supporting each other's goals in life, and respecting each other's right to his/her own feelings, opinions, friends, activities and interest. It is valuing one's partner as an individual. Honesty and accountability - communicating openly and truthfully, admitting mistakes or being wrong, acknowledging past use of violence, and accepting responsibility for one's self. Shared responsibility - making family/relationship decisions together, mutually agreeing on a distribution of work which is fair to both partners. If parents, the couple shares parental responsibilities and acts as positive, non-violent role models for the children. Economic partnership - in marriage or cohabitation, making financial decisions together, and making sure both partners benefit from financial arrangements. Negotiation and fairness - being willing to compromise, accepting change, and seeking mutually satisfying solutions to conflict. Non-threatening behavior - talking and acting in a way that promotes both partners' feelings of safety in the relationship. Both should feel comfortable and safe in expressing him/herself and in engaging in activities.
Mar 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lea-938919 said: Hi Everyone I recently joined this site (about a month ago) and this is my first topic/post. As we grow and mat...
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

Hi Everyone I recently joined this site (about a month ago) and this is my first topic/post. As we grow and mature we learn many lessons in life. Everything happens for a reason and for everything that happen, we learn some lessons. I thought it would be great to share the lessons we learned in life to our fellow CM members. So will you join me on this thread?

--hide--
I've also learned that LOVE is not a feeling...it is a DECISION, a commitment! Keep your commitments, be a person of your word, have some integrity, and do the right thing. Don't be controlled by your emotions...they are of the flesh and will draw you away from God. Quit deciding to live your life by your feelings...feelings come and go. Love is a commitment and its important to keep those commitments!
Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-857740 said: What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterized by respect, sharing and trust. T...
(Quote) Laura-857740 said: What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterized by respect, sharing and trust. They are based on the belief that both partners are equal, that the power and control in the relationship are equally shared. Some of the characteristics of a healthy relationship are: Respect - listening to one another, valuing each other's opinions, and listening in a non-judgmental manner. Respect also involves attempting to understand and affirm the other's emotions. Trust and support - supporting each other's goals in life, and respecting each other's right to his/her own feelings, opinions, friends, activities and interest. It is valuing one's partner as an individual. Honesty and accountability - communicating openly and truthfully, admitting mistakes or being wrong, acknowledging past use of violence, and accepting responsibility for one's self. Shared responsibility - making family/relationship decisions together, mutually agreeing on a distribution of work which is fair to both partners. If parents, the couple shares parental responsibilities and acts as positive, non-violent role models for the children. Economic partnership - in marriage or cohabitation, making financial decisions together, and making sure both partners benefit from financial arrangements. Negotiation and fairness - being willing to compromise, accepting change, and seeking mutually satisfying solutions to conflict. Non-threatening behavior - talking and acting in a way that promotes both partners' feelings of safety in the relationship. Both should feel comfortable and safe in expressing him/herself and in engaging in activities.
--hide--

Perfectly said Laura, thanks! Everyone should really have a healthy relationship. biggrin clap

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-857740 said: I've also learned that LOVE is not a feeling...it is a DECISION, a commitment! Keep your commitments...
(Quote) Laura-857740 said: I've also learned that LOVE is not a feeling...it is a DECISION, a commitment! Keep your commitments, be a person of your word, have some integrity, and do the right thing. Don't be controlled by your emotions...they are of the flesh and will draw you away from God. Quit deciding to live your life by your feelings...feelings come and go. Love is a commitment and its important to keep those commitments!
--hide--

I agree with you to a point. I think love is both a feeling and a decision. The feeling part though comes and goes and isn't reliable. It scratches the surface of the depths of love. It's only the tip of the iceburg. The decision part is where true love is, and I believe we can bring back the "feeling" when we make the decision to love. The feeling coming and going is part of the ups and downs of a relationship, and if true love is present, it can navigate through the downs. Of course, for that to work, both partners need to be willing participants in making such a decision.

I also agree that feelings are of the flesh and we shouldn't be ruled by them...but like all things of the flesh, we have them for a reason, and they do consult us, and with discernment we can figure out which feelings to follow and which to ignore.

Posts 111 - 120 of 142