Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lea-938919 said: I agree with you Amy. It's better not to expect so much from anybody. Sometimes goo...
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

I agree with you Amy.

It's better not to expect so much from anybody. Sometimes good things happens to you the least you expect them.

--hide--

Having no expectations is also convenient because then you don't have to worry about getting disapointed, and when good things happen, it's a pleasant surprise. :)

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-857740 said: What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterized by respect, sharing and trust. T...
(Quote) Laura-857740 said: What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterized by respect, sharing and trust. They are based on the belief that both partners are equal, that the power and control in the relationship are equally shared. Some of the characteristics of a healthy relationship are: Respect - listening to one another, valuing each other's opinions, and listening in a non-judgmental manner. Respect also involves attempting to understand and affirm the other's emotions. Trust and support - supporting each other's goals in life, and respecting each other's right to his/her own feelings, opinions, friends, activities and interest. It is valuing one's partner as an individual. Honesty and accountability - communicating openly and truthfully, admitting mistakes or being wrong, acknowledging past use of violence, and accepting responsibility for one's self. Shared responsibility - making family/relationship decisions together, mutually agreeing on a distribution of work which is fair to both partners. If parents, the couple shares parental responsibilities and acts as positive, non-violent role models for the children. Economic partnership - in marriage or cohabitation, making financial decisions together, and making sure both partners benefit from financial arrangements. Negotiation and fairness - being willing to compromise, accepting change, and seeking mutually satisfying solutions to conflict. Non-threatening behavior - talking and acting in a way that promotes both partners' feelings of safety in the relationship. Both should feel comfortable and safe in expressing him/herself and in engaging in activities.
--hide--

HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS don't have terms and conditions, it's based on two people actually wanting to be together for better or for worse. If someone really care about you, want you and truly love you, they will always have time for you, they will do everything they can to be with you...no excuses. They won't make you feel like an option and make you have doubts. They're honest with you, communicate openly with you, trust you with everything, love you at your worst, and appreciate you at your best.

Mar 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lea-938919 said: Laugh at your mistakes but learn from them, joke over your troubles but gather strength from them, have fun with ...
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

Laugh at your mistakes but learn from them, joke over your troubles but gather strength from them, have fun with your difficulties but overcome them.

--hide--
Lea, I learned to listen to that little voice in my head. There is a reason for the conversation!
Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Amy-951411 said: Having no expectations is also convenient because then you don't have to worry about gettin...
(Quote) Amy-951411 said:

Having no expectations is also convenient because then you don't have to worry about getting disapointed, and when good things happen, it's a pleasant surprise. :)

--hide--

Never gets too attached to anyone when there is no commitment made by both parties. Because attachments can lead to expectations and sometimes expectations can lead to disappointments.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Some people come to our lives as blessings, others come to our lives as lessons..

Mar 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lea-938919 said: (Quote) Laura-857740 said: What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterize...
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

Quote:
Laura-857740 said: What are HEALTHY relationships: Healthy relationships are characterized by respect, sharing and trust. They are based on the belief that both partners are equal, that the power and control in the relationship are equally shared. Some of the characteristics of a healthy relationship are: Respect - listening to one another, valuing each other's opinions, and listening in a non-judgmental manner. Respect also involves attempting to understand and affirm the other's emotions. Trust and support - supporting each other's goals in life, and respecting each other's right to his/her own feelings, opinions, friends, activities and interest. It is valuing one's partner as an individual. Honesty and accountability - communicating openly and truthfully, admitting mistakes or being wrong, acknowledging past use of violence, and accepting responsibility for one's self. Shared responsibility - making family/relationship decisions together, mutually agreeing on a distribution of work which is fair to both partners. If parents, the couple shares parental responsibilities and acts as positive, non-violent role models for the children. Economic partnership - in marriage or cohabitation, making financial decisions together, and making sure both partners benefit from financial arrangements. Negotiation and fairness - being willing to compromise, accepting change, and seeking mutually satisfying solutions to conflict. Non-threatening behavior - talking and acting in a way that promotes both partners' feelings of safety in the relationship. Both should feel comfortable and safe in expressing him/herself and in engaging in activities.

HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS don't have terms and conditions, it's based on two people actually wanting to be together for better or for worse. If someone really care about you, want you and truly love you, they will always have time for you, they will do everything they can to be with you...no excuses. They won't make you feel like an option and make you have doubts. They're honest with you, communicate openly with you, trust you with everything, love you at your worst, and appreciate you at your best.

--hide--
EXACTLY, When the excuses start, I say goodbye. I try not to drag out the relationship to see if he will "change" back to what he did previously. Once the excuses come, it's only a matter of time before we'll drive each other nuts and the relationship crumbles. Best to leave if excuses are starting. No one wants a one sided relationship either.
Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-857740 said: EXACTLY, When the excuses start, I say goodbye. I try not to drag out the relationship to see if he will...
(Quote) Laura-857740 said: EXACTLY, When the excuses start, I say goodbye. I try not to drag out the relationship to see if he will "change" back to what he did previously. Once the excuses come, it's only a matter of time before we'll drive each other nuts and the relationship crumbles. Best to leave if excuses are starting. No one wants a one sided relationship either.
--hide--

Don't even bother to try to change a person...nobody can change them but only themselves. BUT someone or something can be the reason for that person to change himself or herself.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Lea, I learned to listen to that little voice in my head. There is a reason for the conversation!
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Lea, I learned to listen to that little voice in my head. There is a reason for the conversation!
--hide--

Eileen, it's important to listen to "that little voice" because it can be very helpful at times. wink

Mar 23rd 2013 new

Always show more kindness than necessary, because the person receiving it needs it more than you ever know.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

This may sound facetious, but it's not intended to be: Don't make the same mistake twice -- always learn new ones.

(while we strive at perfection, it will always elude us. Even so, we shouldn't quit trying.)

Posts 121 - 130 of 142