Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

St. Paul anyone?

Mar 2nd 2013 new

Okay, since we have a CM event in Wisconsin this June thanks to the marvelous Alice clap Bow I thought it would be awesome to have one in good old Minnesota. Since Minnesota is just across the St. Croix River from me and St. Paul is just down 94 a ways, how about a CM event in St. Paul, Minnesota? I was thinking maybe signing up to tour the Cathedral of St. Paul: National Shrine of the Apostle Paul www.cathedralsaintpaul.org and maybe going out for dinner or a late lunch, maybe even a museum?. Tours are usually Monday thru Friday at 1 pm and they ask for a $2.00 donation. I have never been inside it but from what I hear it is really beautiful inside, just driving by it on 94, it is stunning. I was thinking early to mid summer maybe. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions....

This will be my first time planning something like this, if it works out great if it doesn't then it is okay.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: Okay, since we have a CM event in Wisconsin this June thanks to the marvelous Alice I thought i...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

Okay, since we have a CM event in Wisconsin this June thanks to the marvelous Alice I thought it would be awesome to have one in good old Minnesota. Since Minnesota is just across the St. Croix River from me and St. Paul is just down 94 a ways, how about a CM event in St. Paul, Minnesota? I was thinking maybe signing up to tour the Cathedral of St. Paul: National Shrine of the Apostle Paul www.cathedralsaintpaul.org and maybe going out for dinner or a late lunch, maybe even a museum?. Tours are usually Monday thru Friday at 1 pm and they ask for a $2.00 donation. I have never been inside it but from what I hear it is really beautiful inside, just driving by it on 94, it is stunning. I was thinking early to mid summer maybe. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions....

This will be my first time planning something like this, if it works out great if it doesn't then it is okay.

--hide--

Since there is already an event planned in LaCrosse for June 1, I would think it would be much better if you planned this event for later in the year so it doesn't compete with the event that Alice is planning. - perhaps after Labor Day.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Since there is already an event planned in LaCrosse for June 1, I would think it would ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Since there is already an event planned in LaCrosse for June 1, I would think it would be much better if you planned this event for later in the year so it doesn't compete with the event that Alice is planning. - perhaps after Labor Day.

--hide--

That's what I was thinking after I posted it...oops, okay, let's shoot for the fall then... if anyone is interested.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: That's what I was thinking after I posted it...oops, okay, let's shoot for...

That's what I was thinking after I posted it...oops, okay, let's shoot for the fall then... if anyone is interested.

--hide--

I'm sure fall colors would be nice up there, just not sure when that would happen - September or October?

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: Okay, since we have a CM event in Wisconsin this June thanks to the marvelous Alice I thought i...

Okay, since we have a CM event in Wisconsin this June thanks to the marvelous Alice I thought it would be awesome to have one in good old Minnesota. Since Minnesota is just across the St. Croix River from me and St. Paul is just down 94 a ways, how about a CM event in St. Paul, Minnesota? I was thinking maybe signing up to tour the Cathedral of St. Paul: National Shrine of the Apostle Paul www.cathedralsaintpaul.org and maybe going out for dinner or a late lunch, maybe even a museum?. Tours are usually Monday thru Friday at 1 pm and they ask for a $2.00 donation. I have never been inside it but from what I hear it is really beautiful inside, just driving by it on 94, it is stunning. I was thinking early to mid summer maybe. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions....

--hide--

The Minnesota Science Museum is only about a mile from the Cathedral. There are some decent but not great places to eat in downtown St Paul near that area. I don't know that there'd be a need for a guided tour of the Cathedral, people pretty much drift in and out of there all day long. It would be nice to be in there for a Mass or some other kind of service.

The Science Museum of Minnesota is about a mile from there, and there are a few ok but not great places to eat in that area. Otherwise the Mpls Museum of Art is pretty cool, especially if there is a special showing happening at that time. They also have a nice display of Judaica and Christian artifacts, if I recall.

There's plenty of time to come up with something, if you're looking at later summer or fall. Maybe a festival of some sort. I've never been to the Renassaince Festival, that's mid-August through September, but it is quite a ways out in the boonies. State Fair is fun, but rather large and hard to keep a group together. Pumpkin Festival in Stillwater is cool, but it is just after the peak of fall colors. (Tricia, our colors peak between the last weekend of Sept in the north through the first weekend or two of October in the Cities... or until we get our first frost/big winds).

As I said, plenty of time now to start researching festivals and/or Spiritual activites.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

--hide--

Jessica, mid September would be a good time ..weekends are the best to allow folks travel time.

Mar 3rd 2013 new

laughing laughing laughing laughing I'm in. My kids are in St Paul and I'm over there half of my waking hours anyway. Cathedral is great - check out their website. Often I'll walk down by the Excel Energy Center for a bite to eat. Burger Moe's is a fun spot with an obvious menu. The Liffey is an Irish bar. Cossetta's is decent, casual Italian.

www.cathedralsaintpaul.org

Look for Mass schedule, daily Confession schedule, events, lectures, etc. The place is hoppin'. Bunny!

Mar 3rd 2013 new

Well, La Crosse is just barely in Wisconsin. We might as well annex it and save them from all that high cholesterol cheese.

Mar 3rd 2013 new

Yes, first of all, thank God for Alice and setting up the get together in LaCrosse at the Shrine. Second, thank you Jessica for taking the bull by the horns and putting out a get together in St Paul. I would definitely go barring a major event. Mid September would be great, especially with fall colors. The Cathedral would be awesome and it is beautiful. I didn't have anything to do with it, but feel proud to be a member of the Archdiocese of St Paul & Minneapolis. The Basilica is beautiful as well. We're so blessed here in the Archdiocese. Lots of good ideas out there, especially from Alice about places to eat. Just a word to the wise, the Science museum is crowded and very busy on Saturdays.

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: Well, La Crosse is just barely in Wisconsin. We might as well annex it and save them fro...
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

Well, La Crosse is just barely in Wisconsin. We might as well annex it and save them from all that high cholesterol cheese.

--hide--

Yes, annex La Crosse. Although, wouldn't that drive down the IQ average for Minnesota? laughing I keed. I keed.

Posts 1 - 10 of 27