Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

How far can I go?

03/02/2013 new

wave Thought this was a good read smile

When someone asks that questions, what are they really asking?

Are they looking for ways to push the limits without risking the consequences? Are they asking what they can get away with? When you set high standards for life, you should expect the same standards from the people you date.

When teenagers ask, "How far can I go?" they are probably willing to lower their standard.

Mantaining strong limits on physical affection will never damage your relationship. But going too far will cause damage. Hand holding, kissing, and hugs can quickly move toward sexual intercourse if the standards aren't set. Chastity is bigger than just not "doing it".

Chastity respects the other person and puts them first. If you are always thinking about how far you can go, then you've missed the point. Try asking, "What's the best way to build a great relationship that doesn't on sex?

03/02/2013 new

I read something many years back about the evolution of dating/courtship.

It basically stated that whne the car became more readily available, that's when the "hook up" culture really started taking off. Before then, a person would meet their SO at Church or some other community setting. Because women weren't so much out of the home working, and if they were they tended to be in female dominated jobs, nursing, tatting, sewing orientated, teaching.

During this period, a fellow would come and spend time with the girl and her family. Have a nice meal, sit in the study and talk or whatever.

Cars came along, and man could pick girl up in a car and drive off to a place with no supervision.

Contraception then made it even more open to sexual sin, no longer was sex something kept for marriage, either out of fear of pregnancy or social ramifications.

Cars and condoms.

You're spot on, when people ask the "how far?" question, its because they're seeking for themselves, not the other. That's not love. Its lust.

My rule of thumb, if you wouldn't do it in front of the Virgin Mother, then you shouldn't be doing it out of wedlock.

03/04/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I read something many years back about the evolution of dating/courtship. It basically sta...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I read something many years back about the evolution of dating/courtship.

It basically stated that whne the car became more readily available, that's when the "hook up" culture really started taking off. Before then, a person would meet their SO at Church or some other community setting. Because women weren't so much out of the home working, and if they were they tended to be in female dominated jobs, nursing, tatting, sewing orientated, teaching.

During this period, a fellow would come and spend time with the girl and her family. Have a nice meal, sit in the study and talk or whatever.

Cars came along, and man could pick girl up in a car and drive off to a place with no supervision.

Contraception then made it even more open to sexual sin, no longer was sex something kept for marriage, either out of fear of pregnancy or social ramifications.

Cars and condoms.

You're spot on, when people ask the "how far?" question, its because they're seeking for themselves, not the other. That's not love. Its lust.

My rule of thumb, if you wouldn't do it in front of the Virgin Mother, then you shouldn't be doing it out of wedlock.

--hide--

I like your rule of thumb Naomi. You have good insights. Let's continue to pray for our youth and for all of us here.

Kathleen Praying hug rosary theheart

Posts 1 - 3 of 3