Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 3rd 2013 new

You've put your finger on some of the lies that society has fed us over the last two generations:
- everybody's doing it
- there's no harm done

In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain from using contraception in marriage, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to learn to forgive and give and give to another person.

The trick is to put one's greedy desires at the back of the queue.

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, in regard to abstinence before marriage. It is not so much that it is painful for me to follow the teachings, but rather, painful to see such a small number of other Catholics willing (able?) to follow the teachings. Is anyone else feeling this way / seeing this problem?

I visited with my priest about this a few days ago, with many tears. It doesn't seem that it should be so difficult to find others among the Catholic ranks that have a fervor for living this teaching. Can anyone share their feelings about this? I only know a few other Catholics who followed this teaching prior to their marriage (but now they are married) . . . so I am feeling very lonely in this pain. Any thoughts, ideas, feelings, or remedies appreciated!

God bless everyone!

--hide--

Ann, you are in my prayers!! You sound like a wonderful person! I pray God gives you what your heart desires hug hug hug

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-824866 said: Great job Naomi! I especially appreciate the part regarding that our fear of hell shouldn't b...
(Quote) Laura-824866 said:

Great job Naomi! I especially appreciate the part regarding that our fear of hell shouldn't be our motivator, but rather the fact that it offends God! I've always believed that, but reading it just now really spoke to me.

--hide--

I saw a YouTube vid of a priest talking about how he got covered in cow poop once when he was helping an injured calf and as he was washing all the poop off in the bath God told him that when we sin, it was like God was getting pooped on. If you love God [or are trying to] you shouldn't want to poop on him [with sin].

Its been a while since I"ve seen the vid, but it always stuck with me. I haven't been able to find it since.

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: Thank you for this advice, Naomi. I am so thankful that people have responded and understa...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

Thank you for this advice, Naomi. I am so thankful that people have responded and understand my feelings. It is helping me to not feel quite so lonely. God bless you!

--hide--

No problem.

We're all in this together, as the saying goes. And Christ did say when two or three are gathered in his name, and he sent them out in twos and threes! We're not meant to be isolated. Its in isolation that we can drift from God, or our wounded nature can corrupt our understandign of Truth with unsavoury feelings.

Of course, hermits are another kettle of spiritual fish. (I'd make a fish with my keyboard, but its broken and won't do the greater/less than signs. -_-')

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain fro...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain from using contraception in marriage, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to learn to forgive and give and give to another person. The trick is to put one's greedy desires at the back of the queue.
--hide--

I wish I had said that. I don't find it terrifically difficult either.

Mar 3rd 2013 new
(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, in regard to a...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, in regard to abstinence before marriage. It is not so much that it is painful for me to follow the teachings, but rather, painful to see such a small number of other Catholics willing (able?) to follow the teachings. Is anyone else feeling this way / seeing this problem?

I visited with my priest about this a few days ago, with many tears. It doesn't seem that it should be so difficult to find others among the Catholic ranks that have a fervor for living this teaching. Can anyone share their feelings about this? I only know a few other Catholics who followed this teaching prior to their marriage (but now they are married) . . . so I am feeling very lonely in this pain. Any thoughts, ideas, feelings, or remedies appreciated!

God bless everyone!

--hide--

I totally relate to what you are saying Ann. You might find the Virginity & Dating thread of interest.
Mar 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

--hide--

Totally agree, and see it a LOT. I don't think it's an "ability" thing--it's a "willing" thing.

We're in the same boat.

hug

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Sue-935039 said: You are not alone in your pain Ann. I have been a widow for 4 years and am disheartened at the numb...
(Quote) Sue-935039 said:

You are not alone in your pain Ann. I have been a widow for 4 years and am disheartened at the number of men who think its ok to have a physical relationship outside of marriage. Be steadfast in your beliefs and in your prayer life. Know you are truly special and God will send you a spouse who is worthy of you.

--hide--

Thank you for your beautiful words Sue! I completely understand your frustration and sadness.

God bless you, and may God send us our wonderful men soon!

Praying Ann

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bob-59786 said:...falling into Hell like those snow flakes, and many of those for sins of the flesh. I wonder, and a...
(Quote) Bob-59786 said:...falling into Hell like those snow flakes, and many of those for sins of the flesh.

I wonder, and as Naomi said to pray for them, about the people who are "devout", "Christian", "love God", but still think immoral sex is OK.

--hide--

I wonder about them too, but hope that they have found the sacrament of reconciliation and are given a change of heart theheart in this thinking. I am thankful for all, that we have the opportunity for repentance and peace with God, so we can be saved from the terrible consequences of sin.

Obviously we all sin, it's just that this one seems to have such a blatant disregard for what God is asking of single people. I feel like it is directly hurting so many singles in so many different ways. I think it is breaking down the family because of the destruction these choices cause, making it much more difficult to create trustworthy, honest marriages.

It is just so frustrating to me that the world seems to have had so much influence in this area. I know so many single Catholics that say it's just part of figuring out who they're going to be with, and even parents who say, well I know my kid is going to do it before they're married so I just help them to do it safetly etc. I always explain that I do think the other OPTION is possible, but it truly feels like I'm on an island by myself about this most of the time. It is so heavy on my heart that I can't spend too much time thinking about it because I just start crying. sad Ann

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I've talkedwith many men from this site and even if they disagree with church teaching at fi...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I've talkedwith many men from this site and even if they disagree with church teaching at first,. . .Be one of the few, the humble, the brave -- live the GOOD life as God commands us!

--hide--

Hi Rachel,

I agree that this is the GOOD life and if we stay close to God at all times, it is not difficult to follow His teachings. My sadness comes from how few others there are that are following the teachings and/or willing to speak about them. One of my prayer group friends from church has said that God has given me a special grace in this area. But I don't know if I agree. While I do believe that God has given me a special grace in being able to say no, I think that grace is really there for everyone. Do you? I think it is a special grace that is given to be able to teach people about this though. I have done this many times, in person, on dates. I don't think any of them have changed their ways, but I hope they have at least thought a little bit differently after that. I don't know. That's not really for me to judge, I don't think.

What I really wonder about is why God doesn't just send someone quickly for people like us that are faithful and waiting? When you are called to marriage and that person can't be found how do you live out your vocation without settling? My priest advises me against settling, and I agree, but where does that leave us? It makes me feel like I'm living a life that doesn't fit. It's so heartbreaking to me. I feel like so many are in this position.

Ann

Posts 21 - 30 of 87