Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Sorry you're experiencing this. It is painful to see. But the only thing any of ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Sorry you're experiencing this. It is painful to see. But the only thing any of us can do is to live right ourselves.

"Wisdom enters through love, silence, and mortification. It is great wisdom to know how to be silent and to look at neither the remarks, nor the deeds, nor the lives of others."

- St. John of the Cross

--hide--

Thank you David. I am sorry it causes you pain as well. I will continue on the "living right path" even though it is painful to find so few on this road, when there should be SO MANY! Isn't Catholicism the largest religion in the world? I know there is no shortage of Catholics in this area of the US, but as I've mentioned there are so few that follow the teachings, so the pool seems to be small. : (

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: You've put your finger on some of the lies that society has fed us over the last two generati...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

You've put your finger on some of the lies that society has fed us over the last two generations:
- everybody's doing it
- there's no harm done

In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain from using contraception in marriage, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to learn to forgive and give and give to another person.

The trick is to put one's greedy desires at the back of the queue.

--hide--

All I can say is, AMEN! : ) You get a Gold Star!

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Sol-496426 said: Ann, you are in my prayers!! You sound like a wonderful person! I pray God gives ...
(Quote) Sol-496426 said:

Ann, you are in my prayers!! You sound like a wonderful person! I pray God gives you what your heart desires

--hide--

Thank you Sol! God bless you, too! hug

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Candace-587406 said: I totally relate to what you are saying Ann. You might find the Virginity & Dating thread ...
(Quote) Candace-587406 said:

I totally relate to what you are saying Ann. You might find the Virginity & Dating thread of interest.
--hide--

Thank you Candace! I will check it out.

God bless you!

hug Ann

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Emily-647155 said: Totally agree, and see it a LOT. I don't think it's an "abilit...
(Quote) Emily-647155 said:

Totally agree, and see it a LOT. I don't think it's an "ability" thing--it's a "willing" thing.

We're in the same boat.

--hide--

I agree with you 100%! I'm thankful to have your company in the boat. : )

Ann

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried." G K Chesterton

That is the way it is with sexual morality.

I praise God for everyone who believes the Truth about how destructive living a life of sexual sin can be. You are NOT alone, and you will find someone who loves God as much as you do (and proves it by how they conduct themselves).

What people need to know is that all laws have consequences...like the law of gravity...you jump out a window, the law of gravity will have an immediate affect.

But when you break a moral law, it too has a consequence, it just is not instantaneous like the law of gravity,but just as serious.

Many saints and mystics have reported that more people are burning in hell for sexual sin than any other kind of sin.

Satan's greatest deception is that he has convinced everyone that nothing is a sin anymore, especially in the sexual realm.

We are truly a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.

As Naomi said, the road to hell is wide, and the way to heaven is narrow; choose the narrow way.

--hide--

Pat, thank you for your understanding, encouragement, and kind words. I agree with your assessment of the situation and I want you to remember just how special you are too! I just wish there were A LOT more people on this site that would speak for this truth and/or talk about living it. I think living in the ways that are prescribed for your state in life are essential to being a practicing Catholic. Do you all think that most Catholics don't think this? I really don't get it. I am surprised at how few people have shared their feelings about this.

The more I have been thinking about this, the more I believe the vocation to marriage is the vocation that is in crisis! I am going to make an appointment to go and share my concerns with some leaders in our Archdiocese. It may be too late to catechize the people in my generation to live wisely in this area, but hopefully something can be changed to help future generations. I don't want anyone else to experience this overwhelming sense of loss. Hopefully the Church can talk more about this in a more direct way in the future. Maybe that will help? Any other thoughts for me to share when I do meet with the leaders around here?

God bless you all!

scratchchin Ann

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abst...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain from using contraception in marriage, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to learn to forgive and give and give to another person.

--hide--

The reason many find it difficult to live a chaste life is because they repeatedly subject themselves to temptations. Just as someone on a diet will have far more difficulty maintaining it if they hang around in bakeries or Baskin Robbins.

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: Hi Rachel, I agree that this is the GOOD life and if we stay close to God at all ti...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

Hi Rachel,

I agree that this is the GOOD life and if we stay close to God at all times, it is not difficult to follow His teachings. My sadness comes from how few others there are that are following the teachings and/or willing to speak about them. One of my prayer group friends from church has said that God has given me a special grace in this area. But I don't know if I agree. While I do believe that God has given me a special grace in being able to say no, I think that grace is really there for everyone. Do you? I think it is a special grace that is given to be able to teach people about this though. I have done this many times, in person, on dates. I don't think any of them have changed their ways, but I hope they have at least thought a little bit differently after that. I don't know. That's not really for me to judge, I don't think.

What I really wonder about is why God doesn't just send someone quickly for people like us that are faithful and waiting? When you are called to marriage and that person can't be found how do you live out your vocation without settling? My priest advises me against settling, and I agree, but where does that leave us? It makes me feel like I'm living a life that doesn't fit. It's so heartbreaking to me. I feel like so many are in this position.

Ann

--hide--

Like salvation, grace is a gift that must be freely accepted, by us. My favourite image of Christ has always been Him knocking on a door with no handle. Its the door to your soul and only you can open it - from the inside!

I heard it once explained that say you're in jail, and you cannot afford bail, Oprah rocks up with a wallet full of cash and she's on one of her moral high horse benders, she offers to pay your bail. If you accept, you're free. If you don't, well, you sit there and rot.

Accepting chastity, the grace and power to say no, that's a gift that God has offered to all of us. Like all sin, we can say no to it. Its just our flesh fights against us.

I agree with you that its certainly heartbreaking that so many of us feel like we're stagnating in the limbo before vocation. I tend to view the situation as just another example of how much damage is caused by sin. We suffer because of the sins of others, and because of our own personal sin.

I do find it irritating [and kinda a downer] when people try to set me up, when people want me to head out on the town with them to pick up a guy. They don't understand my faith, and the role it plays in my life, I'm not going to find a good Catholic man in the places my friends want to drag me.

The world doesnt understand us. Not by a long shot. But Christ told us that was the deal. If I didn't like the deal, I'd pack up and go join some other frilly easy-as-pie religion, but in all actuality, I'd probably be an atheist. But No. God exists. I can't deny that fact. Not with what He's shown me.

I know what's on the other side of death. If I have to cross through that door a curmudgeonly virgin spinster, with 128 dead cats in the freezer, so be it. I don't know what sex is like. I don't know what marriage is like. But I know Heaven and hanging out with God forever is like infinitely better than the physical. That's how I get through the grumpy low moments when all my secular/protestant/whatever friends are shagging like rabbits and co-habitating with their "life partners".

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I just wish there were A LOT more people on this site that would speak for this truth and/or talk a...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

I just wish there were A LOT more people on this site that would speak for this truth and/or talk about living it. I think living in the ways that are prescribed for your state in life are essential to being a practicing Catholic. Do you all think that most Catholics don't think this? I really don't get it. I am surprised at how few people have shared their feelings about this.

--hide--

Ann, there are more CM members out there who feel as you do who don't speak up in the forums because they have witnessed how certain members mock and belittle those who speak out on some of these issues and they simply don't want to deal with it.

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, in regard to abstinence before marriage. It is not so much that it is painful for me to follow the teachings, but rather, painful to see such a small number of other Catholics willing (able?) to follow the teachings. Is anyone else feeling this way / seeing this problem?

I visited with my priest about this a few days ago, with many tears. It doesn't seem that it should be so difficult to find others among the Catholic ranks that have a fervor for living this teaching. Can anyone share their feelings about this? I only know a few other Catholics who followed this teaching prior to their marriage (but now they are married) . . . so I am feeling very lonely in this pain. Any thoughts, ideas, feelings, or remedies appreciated!

God bless everyone!

--hide--

Before I say anything, I think we should give ourselves a pat on the back and be proud that we have chosen and so far succeeded in remaining to stay chaste before marriage despite all the modern day temptations that surround us. Haha.

As a person who also believes in abstinence before marriage, I am right there with you when it comes to being disappointed in Catholics who aren't willing till marriage. When I was in my teens, I used to be frustrated and even judgmental of people who were not willing to practice abstinence. Heck, I went to a Christian High School growing up, and there were people in my school who were sexually active. Two of the girls that I knew even became pregnant when I was in my senior year. As I grew older, however, I realized that as human beings, we are not infallible and we all make mistakes. We shouldn't chastise and judge them, but, as Catholics, we should learn to forgive and pray that they find their way back to God. Afterall, isn't it what we were all taught to do?

The fact of the matter is, there are Catholics out there who really don't know any better either because of upbringings or the crowds they grew up with. Then there are those who call themselves Catholics but do not practice God's teachings. As Naomi said, the best thing we can do is pray for them. We can pray and hope that they will once again put God at the center of their lives and realize that the path they are walking on is not the path that God has made for them. God wants us to be happy, and sleeping with random people or temporary partners certainly won't bring us that happiness.

In the end, what really matters is that you have made the decision to abstain before marriage and that you have stuck with it and you should be happy with that accomplishment. So kudos. ;)

Posts 31 - 40 of 87