Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:.... they hang around in bakeries or Baskin Robbins.
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:.... they hang around in bakeries or Baskin Robbins.
--hide--
shhh shhh shhh shhh shhh shhh wink

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: ... but as I've mentioned there are so few that follow the teachings, so the pool seems to be s...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

... but as I've mentioned there are so few that follow the teachings, so the pool seems to be small. : (

--hide--

Even if the pool is small, as far as I know, you can only catch one fish from that pool as an Altar Date.

Fish wisely ...

03/14/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: You've put your finger on some of the lies that society has fed us over the last two generati...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

You've put your finger on some of the lies that society has fed us over the last two generations:
- everybody's doing it
- there's no harm done

In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain from using contraception in marriage, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to learn to forgive and give and give to another person.

The trick is to put one's greedy desires at the back of the queue.

--hide--

All we have to do is be holy and live right ourselves - and stop whining about the conduct of others.

03/14/2013 new

Ann, I think the idea of talking to the powers that be in the archdiocese is a great idea, and before I leave this Catholic singles world, I plan to do the same.

We need a great deal more chastity education for older adults. The great tragedy is people get off on the wrong road, and they think there is no way back. That would be a beginning, to assist others in amending their ways.

But also to encourage chastity from the get go with young people, and to support them in that endeavor, in the "apprenticeship in self mastery which is a training in human freedom," as the Catechism states (CCC 2339).

Man must master his passions or they will control him. (Id.) People need help in doing that.

I agree that there is a great crisis in the 'other' vocation, that is, the vocation to marriage, and the institutional church needs to address it much better.

God bless you for trying, on behalf of the laity! And God bless you, because "blessed are the pure, for they shall see the face of God." When you are lonely, when you feel there is no one else like you, think on that. hug Praying

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I agree with you that its certainly heartbreaking that so many of us feel like we're...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I agree with you that its certainly heartbreaking that so many of us feel like we're stagnating in the limbo before vocation. I tend to view the situation as just another example of how much damage is caused by sin. We suffer because of the sins of others, and because of our own personal sin.

The world doesnt understand us. Not by a long shot. But Christ told us that was the deal.

I know what's on the other side of death. If I have to cross through that door a curmudgeonly virgin spinster, with 128 dead cats in the freezer, so be it.

--hide--

"...limbo before vocation..." love the image of this, but hate the feeling & yes, oh so true

Yes, I agree that most don't understand us. They don't want to. They know it is a hard road. I guess my main difficulty with all of this is that if others' sins are causing damage and/or suffering that is keeping us from our vocation, what can we do about it? I just have a really hard time believing that God wants people to feel this way because of other people's sins. I know that God does not want to us to live sad lives. He said that He came to earth so we could live life abundatly. Naomi, living like you said "a curmudgeonly virgin spinster, with 128 dead cats in the freezer" does not sound like living life abundantly. That's where I am so confused. I know God is all powerful and has answers for these sorts of problems. But what are they and why are the answers so difficult to find?

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Ann, there are more CM members out there who feel as you do who don't speak up in the...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Ann, there are more CM members out there who feel as you do who don't speak up in the forums because they have witnessed how certain members mock and belittle those who speak out on some of these issues and they simply don't want to deal with it.

--hide--

Hi Jerry,

Well I certainly understand that, but think it's silly for anyone to mock anyone anywhere, but especially on a Christian website. I would not think anyone should do that whether they agree with them or not. Anyway, anyone who would like to talk to me about this but may feel uncomfortable posting is more than welcome to message me. Thanks!

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: Hi Jerry, Well I certainly understand that, but think it's silly for anyone to mock anyo...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

Hi Jerry,

Well I certainly understand that, but think it's silly for anyone to mock anyone anywhere, but especially on a Christian website. I would not think anyone should do that whether they agree with them or not. Anyway, anyone who would like to talk to me about this but may feel uncomfortable posting is more than welcome to message me. Thanks!

--hide--

I certainly agree with you. If you feel someone is mocking you, or anyone else, in the forums, use the Report Post link in the lower left corner of the objectionable post to have it reviewed.

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Marge-938695 said: You've put your finger on some of the lies ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Marge-938695 said:

You've put your finger on some of the lies that society has fed us over the last two generations:
- everybody's doing it
- there's no harm done

In reality...IT'S NOT THAT HARD to live a chaste life, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to abstain from using contraception in marriage, just as IT'S NOT THAT HARD to learn to forgive and give and give to another person.

The trick is to put one's greedy desires at the back of the queue.

All we have to do is be holy and live right ourselves - and stop whining about the conduct of others.

--hide--
Whining?

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) John-917143 said: Before I say anything, I think we should give ourselves a pat on the back and be proud th...
(Quote) John-917143 said:

Before I say anything, I think we should give ourselves a pat on the back and be proud that we have chosen and so far succeeded in remaining to stay chaste before marriage despite all the modern day temptations that surround us. Haha.

As a person who also believes in abstinence before marriage, I am right there with you when it comes to being disappointed in Catholics who aren't willing till marriage. When I was in my teens, I used to be frustrated and even judgmental of people who were not willing to practice abstinence. Heck, I went to a Christian High School growing up, and there were people in my school who were sexually active. Two of the girls that I knew even became pregnant when I was in my senior year. As I grew older, however, I realized that as human beings, we are not infallible and we all make mistakes. We shouldn't chastise and judge them, but, as Catholics, we should learn to forgive and pray that they find their way back to God. Afterall, isn't it what we were all taught to do?

The fact of the matter is, there are Catholics out there who really don't know any better either because of upbringings or the crowds they grew up with. Then there are those who call themselves Catholics but do not practice God's teachings. As Naomi said, the best thing we can do is pray for them. We can pray and hope that they will once again put God at the center of their lives and realize that the path they are walking on is not the path that God has made for them. God wants us to be happy, and sleeping with random people or temporary partners certainly won't bring us that happiness.

In the end, what really matters is that you have made the decision to abstain before marriage and that you have stuck with it and you should be happy with that accomplishment. So kudos. ;)

--hide--

Hi John,

Yes I totally agree with you and kudos to you too for staying chaste. I'd like to encourage you to not think of it as "we have chosen and so far succeeded in remaining to stay chaste." One of the things my parents taught me in this regard is to know that that is what you have chosen and stand for and to never let anything, including a small little statement that sounds like it has the possibility to give way and get in the way of your conviction ever have a place at the table. Their advice in this has helped me so much over the years. There can be no sense of wavering if it is your conviction! : )

And, yes, I do not think that we should criticize those who have not made that decision for whatever reason, but if there are people who can help us speak the truth a little louder and clearer in the Church, those are the people that I am thinking need to be doing more. I don't know if that is possible, but I'm pretty sure it is, because that's what I keep hearing in my prayer. Today at Mass there was a perfect place that that could have been mentioned in the Prayers of the Faithful. I said it as my own prayer. The prayer was to help married people live their married lives faithfully. I have heard this kind of prayer several times, but what about adding, "and help all those who are living as single people to remain chaste in preparation for their possible vocation of marriage or religious life." Anyway something like that. I think way more awareness needs to be brought up about this directly at Mass. I feel like a lot of people think of their "sex lives" and "daily lives" as not having too much to do with their "church lives" and from my understanding that just isn't true. If people heard that often about remaining chaste during the Prayers of the Faithful sometimes, I think they'd think about it more at least and might take it more seriously.

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Bob-59786 said: Even if the pool is small, as far as I know, you can only catch one fish from that pool as a...
(Quote) Bob-59786 said:

Even if the pool is small, as far as I know, you can only catch one fish from that pool as an Altar Date.

Fish wisely ...

--hide--

I just went out and bought the Super Duper Fish Wiser Sparkly You get a Gold Star! (for the girls) pole today! lovestruck! Men can get one with "whatever it is you'd all want instead of sparkly attached". cookie : ) It only set me back a couple million, but he will be worth it! : ) Thanks Bob!

Posts 41 - 50 of 87