Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: All we have to do is be holy and live right ourselves - and stop whining about the conduct of oth...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

All we have to do is be holy and live right ourselves - and stop whining about the conduct of others.

--hide--

Mosts of the debates over morality in the forms are not about the conduct of others; they are about the truth or falsehood of opinions expressed in the forum posts. Whether those who post opinions that are opposed to Church teaching are writing about personal behavior or about their beliefs that have not been acted on is often not clear, and in any case is irrelevant to the discussions at hand.

Among the spiritual works of mercy are to instruct the ignorant, to counsel the doubtful, and to admonish sinners (or, in this case, those who are advocating sinful behavior as being morally acceptable). Thus, it is our calling as Christians to point out errors on matters of faith and morals, especially when put forth in public forums such as this where they may well provide scandal to the faithful.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I certainly agree with you. If you feel someone is mocking you, or anyone else, in the fo...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I certainly agree with you. If you feel someone is mocking you, or anyone else, in the forums, use the Report Post link in the lower left corner of the objectionable post to have it reviewed.

--hide--

Thank you Jerry! I appreciate that. You all do such a great job moderating everything! Thank you! You definitely need a gold star! You get a Gold Star! : )

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said:I just went out and bought the Super Duper Fish Wiser Sparkly (for the girls) pole today! Men can get one w...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:I just went out and bought the Super Duper Fish Wiser Sparkly (for the girls) pole today! Men can get one with "whatever it is you'd all want instead of sparkly attached". : ) It only set me back a couple million, but he will be worth it! : ) Thanks Bob!

--hide--

You're welcome Ann - it's better to think how we'll react when the prize fish we want bites, and then we start to reel him/ her in.

Never know where that fish might be. An attractive 35 - 39-yo woman (got her age from switchboard.com) came up to me at the banana counter today, and told me that's a great place to meet people. Only problem, she's married. Maybe she's going to introduve me to someone else? She gave me her business card.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Among the spiritual works of mercy are to instruct the ignorant, to counsel the doubtful, and to a...

Among the spiritual works of mercy are to instruct the ignorant, to counsel the doubtful, and to admonish sinners (or, in this case, those who are advocating sinful behavior as being morally acceptable). Thus, it is our calling as Christians to point out errors on matters of faith and morals, especially when put forth in public forums such as this where they may well provide scandal to the faithful.

--hide--

Our Deacon preached the homily last Sunday He said Christians have 2 duties ....

1 - Get to Heaven.

2 - Look around Church at empty seats, and get those seats filled "from the world of sorrowful souls".

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, in regard to abstinence before marriage. It is not so much that it is painful for me to follow the teachings, but rather, painful to see such a small number of other Catholics willing (able?) to follow the teachings. Is anyone else feeling this way / seeing this problem?

I visited with my priest about this a few days ago, with many tears. It doesn't seem that it should be so difficult to find others among the Catholic ranks that have a fervor for living this teaching. Can anyone share their feelings about this? I only know a few other Catholics who followed this teaching prior to their marriage (but now they are married) . . . so I am feeling very lonely in this pain. Any thoughts, ideas, feelings, or remedies appreciated!

God bless everyone!

--hide--

I have read a quote by Christopher Dawson and it is this: "Virginity is a living martyrdom."

You are not alone. You will find many women who are following Gods ways with you.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Bob-59786 said: Our Deacon preached the homily last Sunday He said Christians have 2 duties .... 1 -...
(Quote) Bob-59786 said:

Our Deacon preached the homily last Sunday He said Christians have 2 duties ....

1 - Get to Heaven.

2 - Look around Church at empty seats, and get those seats filled "from the world of sorrowful souls".

--hide--

The error many make is assuming the Church must change to keep the seats full: the Church, through her members, must do their best to teach those they bring in why they should choose to keep their seat. Ultimately, all must accept the Church on her terms; while she doesn't reject them, she does not change to keep them on their terms.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Ann-119096 said: I just wish there were A LOT more people on this s...

Quote:
Ann-119096 said:

I just wish there were A LOT more people on this site that would speak for this truth and/or talk about living it. I think living in the ways that are prescribed for your state in life are essential to being a practicing Catholic. Do you all think that most Catholics don't think this? I really don't get it. I am surprised at how few people have shared their feelings about this.

Ann, there are more CM members out there who feel as you do who don't speak up in the forums because they have witnessed how certain members mock and belittle those who speak out on some of these issues and they simply don't want to deal with it.

--hide--

Ann, This is absolutely true.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have read a quote by Christopher Dawson and it is this: "Virginity is a living martyrdom.&...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I have read a quote by Christopher Dawson and it is this: "Virginity is a living martyrdom."

--hide--

Virginity is easier than maintaining chastity after losing one's virginity (you don't know what you are missing until you taste it...).

In either case, many of us make the task much more difficult than it need be by intentionally exposing ourselves to unnecessary temptations.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have read a quote by Christopher Dawson and it...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Virginity is easier than maintaining chastity after losing one's virginity (you don't know what you are missing until you taste it...).

In either case, many of us make the task much more difficult than it need be by intentionally exposing ourselves to unnecessary temptations.

--hide--

True.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Mosts of the debates over morality in the forms are not about the conduct of oth...

Mosts of the debates over morality in the forms are not about the conduct of others; they are about the truth or falsehood of opinions expressed in the forum posts. Whether those who post opinions that are opposed to Church teaching are writing about personal behavior or about their beliefs that have not been acted on is often not clear, and in any case is irrelevant to the discussions at hand.

--hide--

Many of the threads and comments on the suject of chastity are anything but acts of mercy. Envy, jealousy, resentment, and a slew of personal dysfunctions seem to be motivating many of the things we read in these endless fruitless discussions. Masquerading these unadmirable qualites as piety is sick; it's neither wholesome nor good.

For the zillionth time, I have no quarrel with chastity or piety. But I do have a BIG problem with people who cloak their own nastiness and personal dysfunctions in the garb of piety in order to make it unassailable and make their adversaries appear as enemies of virtue. This distinction appears to be lost on you and many others and that has cost me dearly.

Our chastity is the greatest gift we can offer to God, to ourselves, and to our future spouses. It's NOT something we offer to God only because no one else will take it off our hands or because something in our character makes intimacy of any sort unattainable.

We must look within rather than focusing on others. We'll find we have much work to do on ourselves before going out and rubbing other peoples' noses in the faults we perceive as theirs.

You'll be happy to hear that today's my last day on CM. I'm taking a break for several months in order to complete my annulment and do some other things. In all, this has been a very rewarding experience. I've learned a lot and grown in my faith here.

Posts 51 - 60 of 87