Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Among the spiritual works of mercy are to instruct the ignorant, to counsel the doubtful, and to a...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Among the spiritual works of mercy are to instruct the ignorant, to counsel the doubtful, and to admonish sinners (or, in this case, those who are advocating sinful behavior as being morally acceptable). Thus, it is our calling as Christians to point out errors on matters of faith and morals, especially when put forth in public forums such as this where they may well provide scandal to the faithful.

--hide--

It is our calling as Christians to be holy. Once we make significant progress at that we can begin to perform these acts of mercy. Too often those who claim (and even believe that they are) to be instructing the ignorant, counseling the doubtful, and admonishing sinners are merely being cruel and resentful for the sake of being cruel and resentful. Hardly the stuff a good Christian is made of.

So, rather than deleting this post and the one which preceded it, please consider it my spiritual act of mercy.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: It is our calling as Christians to be holy. Once we make significant progress at tha...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

It is our calling as Christians to be holy. Once we make significant progress at that we can begin to perform these acts of mercy. Too often those who claim (and even believe that they are) to be instructing the ignorant, counseling the doubtful, and admonishing sinners are merely being cruel and resentful for the sake of being cruel and resentful. Hardly the stuff a good Christian is made of.

So, rather than deleting this post and the one which preceded it, please consider it my spiritual act of mercy.

--hide--
Sounds like a damming judgement to me.Take a look in the mirror.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Sounds like a damming judgement to me.Take a look in the mirror.
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

--hide--

You're right. My hands are not entirely clean. Funny how any "fraternal correction" appears to be unkind. Therefore it's best if we focus on improving opurselves before setting out to improve others.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Sounds like a damming judgement to me.Take a lo...

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

You're right. My hands are not entirely clean. Funny how any "fraternal correction" appears to be unkind. Therefore it's best if we focus on improving opurselves before setting out to improve others.

--hide--
I think most of what you interpret as judgeing ,is just people having a general discussion about the topic.It's just a discussion.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: I think most of what you interpret as judgeing ,is just people having a general discussion about ...

I think most of what you interpret as judgeing ,is just people having a general discussion about the topic.It's just a discussion.

--hide--

IMO, there's a lot of sickness and dysfunction and resentment behind many of the comments. Must we always discuss sex sex sex?? We look ridiculous.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The error many make is assuming the Church must change to keep the seats full: the Church...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The error many make is assuming the Church must change to keep the seats full: the Church, through her members, must do their best to teach those they bring in why they should choose to keep their seat. Ultimately, all must accept the Church on her terms; while she doesn't reject them, she does not change to keep them on their terms.

--hide--

I agree = NO change in Teachings.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: I think most of what you interpret as judgeing ...

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

IMO, there's a lot of sickness and dysfunction and resentment behind many of the comments. Must we always discuss sex sex sex?? We look ridiculous.

--hide--
David,that is a very judgemental statement,and only your opinion.It would be better if you do not participate in these discussions, if you have a problem with the topic.You can't control the Topic of other peoples conversations.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: David,that is a very judgemental statement,and only your opinion.It would be better if you do not...

David,that is a very judgemental statement,and only your opinion.It would be better if you do not participate in these discussions, if you have a problem with the topic.You can't control the Topic of other peoples conversations.

--hide--

Maybe, maybe not. It's just the impression I have and which others have also mentioned to me privately. I took care not to identify any of the members whose comments I feel might be motivated by such sentiments. All these discussions of sex and chastity tend to bring out the worst in people. I wish we'd move on to another hot topic.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Maybe, maybe not. It's just the impression I have and which others have also mentioned to me private...
(Quote) David-364112 said: Maybe, maybe not. It's just the impression I have and which others have also mentioned to me privately. I took care not to identify any of the members whose comments I feel might be motivated by such sentiments. All these discussions of sex and chastity tend to bring out the worst in people. I wish we'd move on to another hot topic.
--hide--

Me too. I've got enough on my plate just worrying about the state of my soul on a day to day basis. We know the rules. We can choose to abide by them or not, but ultimately we will answer to no one on this site, but the ultimate arbiter of whether we did it right or wrong. My day to day prayer is that my walk in faith will be more influential than my talk about faith.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: (Quote) David-364112 said: Maybe, maybe not. It's just the impression I hav...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

Quote:
David-364112 said: Maybe, maybe not. It's just the impression I have and which others have also mentioned to me privately. I took care not to identify any of the members whose comments I feel might be motivated by such sentiments. All these discussions of sex and chastity tend to bring out the worst in people. I wish we'd move on to another hot topic.

Me too. I've got enough on my plate just worrying about the state of my soul on a day to day basis. We know the rules. We can choose to abide by them or not, but ultimately we will answer to no one on this site, but the ultimate arbiter of whether we did it right or wrong. My day to day prayer is that my walk in faith will be more influential than my talk about faith.

--hide--
It's really simple.Don't participate in these type of Threads then.

Posts 61 - 70 of 87