Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The error many make is assuming the Church must change to keep the seats full: the Church...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The error many make is assuming the Church must change to keep the seats full: the Church, through her members, must do their best to teach those they bring in why they should choose to keep their seat. Ultimately, all must accept the Church on her terms; while she doesn't reject them, she does not change to keep them on their terms.

--hide--

Wow do I agree, very well said. I want to ask the people that disagree with the church - because I did at one point - Do you actually think you are smarter than over 2,000 years of smart and holy people praying, writing, discerning, discussing the faith? Do you actually think you are smarter than the actual friends of Jesus? I once thought I was smarter than the church. I thought the church was archaic and out of touch. I thought it just didn't uderstand our new world.

But, by the grace of God, I actually convinced myself to "try" to live as the church teaches with Chastity. I am not perfect at it, but I can tell all that ever since I have tried to learn about and follow the theology of the body and chastity that the Church teaches, a whole new and wonderful world has opened up for me. It is hard to describe, but so many more graces abound in my life and my life is so much more healthier in so many ways. The church was right and I was wrong.

This finally let the thought get through my thick skull that maybe I am not so smart; maybe I don't know more abot how to live than all these other saints. It's time for humility; time for us to realize we (as a society) don't know all that much like we think we do and maybe our predecessors have something to say to us so we don't have to learn it the hard way.

To answer the very original post in this thread, I am curious if more people follow the church's teaching in regards to sexuality but are maybe reluctant to say due to the macho culture we live in???

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Ann, there are more CM members out there who feel as you do who don't speak up in the...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Ann, there are more CM members out there who feel as you do who don't speak up in the forums because they have witnessed how certain members mock and belittle those who speak out on some of these issues and they simply don't want to deal with it.

--hide--

True dat. I think that, deep down inside, there is some jealousy from the nay-sayers, which is so ridiculous! We all need God's graces.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

I am finding it very painful to be a single Catholic who is following the teachings of the Church, in regard to abstinence before marriage. It is not so much that it is painful for me to follow the teachings, but rather, painful to see such a small number of other Catholics willing (able?) to follow the teachings. Is anyone else feeling this way / seeing this problem?

I visited with my priest about this a few days ago, with many tears. It doesn't seem that it should be so difficult to find others among the Catholic ranks that have a fervor for living this teaching. Can anyone share their feelings about this? I only know a few other Catholics who followed this teaching prior to their marriage (but now they are married) . . . so I am feeling very lonely in this pain. Any thoughts, ideas, feelings, or remedies appreciated!

God bless everyone!

--hide--

To quote Coldplay:

"Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be this hard."

God bless you, Ann!

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jay-564527 said: I am curious if more people follow the church's teaching in regards to sexuality but a...
(Quote) Jay-564527 said:

I am curious if more people follow the church's teaching in regards to sexuality but are maybe reluctant to say due to the macho culture we live in???

--hide--

Jay, I hope you are right, and I understand that it may not be the macho thing to say, but wouldn't it be wonderful if Catholics did speak out about this together so that at the very least there would be a majority of single Catholics living this way? And to me, a guy who stands up for the truth in our faith is very macho. : ) Maybe it would influence others in society too, but it would be so nice to know that if someone says they are Catholic that we could trust that they are guiding their life by this and all the other principles of their certain state of life.

I'm not saying that people don't slip and fall and make mistakes. We all do in various sins in life, and we all need to forgive each other, obviously, but if we could know that all people would hold these truths of the Church in high regard and really try to live by them, then the rule rather than the exception would be to believe that people are living chastely. Then if there had been some moment(s) that needed to be discussed that could happen in love and charity with a potential spouse. At least for me, with my experiences, it is me having to defend my decision (which I really feel is trying to explain how God has given me this grace) to remain chaste on almost every date I've ever gone on since I've been out of college. It just seems weird to me that that is the exception and not the rule in the dating world period, but especially in the Catholic dating world. My dad and I were just discussing this the other day and he said that yes, he can understand that this would be so difficult because when he was dating people expected to be dating virgins and it was rare to find people who weren't virgins. How nice that must have been. I'm sure there were far fewer complications in getting two peoples' hearts together.

theheart
Did anyone happen to see my post about adding something to the Prayers of the Faithful when prayers about marriage are offered? I just wondered what people think about that, too? God bless you, everyone!

Mar 20th 2013 new

"The Lord’s gift remains with the devout; his favor brings lasting success. My child, stand by your agreement and attend to it, grow old while doing your work. Do not marvel at the works of a sinner, but trust in the LORD and wait for his light; For it is easy in the eyes of the LORD suddenly, in an instant, to make the poor rich. God’s blessing is the lot of the righteous, and in due time their hope bears fruit."

- Sirach 11:17, 20-22

Mar 20th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: You're right. My hands are not entirely clean. Funny how any "fraternal cor...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

You're right. My hands are not entirely clean. Funny how any "fraternal correction" appears to be unkind. Therefore it's best if we focus on improving opurselves before setting out to improve others.

--hide--
People are just discussing these types of topics based on the Catholic Churchs teachings.Because the Church says a particular can be objectively mortally sinful,does not mean that the person posting that information is judging anyone.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: Yes, I agree that most don't understand us. They don't want to. They ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

Yes, I agree that most don't understand us. They don't want to. They know it is a hard road. I guess my main difficulty with all of this is that if others' sins are causing damage and/or suffering that is keeping us from our vocation, what can we do about it? I just have a really hard time believing that God wants people to feel this way because of other people's sins. I know that God does not want to us to live sad lives. He said that He came to earth so we could live life abundatly. Naomi, living like you said "a curmudgeonly virgin spinster, with 128 dead cats in the freezer" does not sound like living life abundantly. That's where I am so confused. I know God is all powerful and has answers for these sorts of problems. But what are they and why are the answers so difficult to find?

--hide--

I think in the video that I saw of Christopher West talking about chastity, he said that he wasn't chaste before he got married even though that is what he is advocating. I sometimes think that maybe if I lived the lifestyle of some of the married people that I know that didn't lead a chaste life when they were younger that I would be married by now...so you are not alone in finding difficult answers.
The important thing is to take responsibility for our actions as Christians; to know that if you were wanting to have sex with someone that you would be obligated to marry them and take care of them for the rest of your life.
Especially with someone middle aged who is not a virgin in the sinful world that we live in, we should be smart enough to know that being chaste before marriage is right and what God would like us to choose.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Ann-119096 said: Yes, I agree that most don't understand us. They don't want to. They ...
(Quote) Ann-119096 said:

Yes, I agree that most don't understand us. They don't want to. They know it is a hard road. I guess my main difficulty with all of this is that if others' sins are causing damage and/or suffering that is keeping us from our vocation, what can we do about it? I just have a really hard time believing that God wants people to feel this way because of other people's sins. I know that God does not want to us to live sad lives. He said that He came to earth so we could live life abundatly. Naomi, living like you said "a curmudgeonly virgin spinster, with 128 dead cats in the freezer" does not sound like living life abundantly. That's where I am so confused. I know God is all powerful and has answers for these sorts of problems. But what are they and why are the answers so difficult to find?

--hide--

I think in the video that I saw of Christopher West talking about chastity, he said that he wasn't chaste before he got married even though that is what he is advocating. I sometimes think that maybe if I lived the lifestyle of some of the married people that I know that didn't lead a chaste life when they were younger that I would be married by now...so you are not alone in finding difficult answers.
The important thing is to take responsibility for our actions as Christians; to know that if you were wanting to have sex with someone that you would be obligated to marry them and take care of them for the rest of your life.
Especially with someone middle aged who is not a virgin in the sinful world that we live in, we should be smart enough to know that being chaste before marriage is right and what God would like us to choose.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Hi Ann, wave

You are not alone. I too have watched many people raised Catholic walk away from the Church and its teachings. It is very painful. It is very painful to listen to them criticize the Church. It is equally painful to have Catholics criticize each other because they do not agree with each other on point X or point Y.

Nevertheless, you will find more support here for living a faithful Catholic life as a single person than in a lot of other places. I rely on it. The teachings of the Catholic Church, the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes and the Gospels can inform us, but there is no manual for what to do in particular situations – we must continually stay connected to our faith through Mass attendance, the Sacraments and prayer so that we do not have to look far
for the answers that we are seeking about a particular situation.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

It has been said that if God doesn't destroy L.A. and San Francisco, then he owes sodom and Gomorrah and apology. While I cannot comment on the efficacy of this statement, it is obvious that moral relativism and the radical changes in both the media and the liberal left have caused a monumental shift in what once stood for morals. You can view this in the simple adoption of the lifestyles portrayed in "Two and a half Men." This would have shocked an audience 20 years ago, but now just passes for normal attitudes and behavior. While it horrifies me, my brother and sister-in-law see nothing wrong with their children watching as show such as this without ever understanding the spiritual underpinnings and moral depravity that shows like this portray. All I can say to those concerned is that only you can make the choice of following the correct and moral path and rely on the Church to ber your guide. My feeling is that things are going to get much worse and that the evil one is going to have more and more influence on the further degradation of morals witrh the hopes of casting more and more into the depths of Hell. Listen to the messages of St. Lucia from Fatima who has said that souls with fall into hell like raindrops due to the sins o0f the flesh. But we have hope! Abd so please relay on Christ, the Blessed Mother and the Church to keep you strong and pure!

Posts 71 - 80 of 87