Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: Science tells us that women's brain have a larger area dedicated to communication a...
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:

Science tells us that women's brain have a larger area dedicated to communication and language, and that in an average day men speak 7,000 words, and women 20,000.

--hide--
Since for most women a lot of their speaking will be back and forth with other women, this may "translate" to women's writing and reading more in general. Maybe that means that women also write and read more in the fora.

Mar 8th 2013 new
(Quote) John-184825 said: This topic asks you to write any differences that you think are true about men's reading of topics compared ...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

This topic asks you to write any differences that you think are true about men's reading of topics compared to women's reading of topics. One example of a possible difference is what men are looking for as they read compared to what women are looking for. Another example is how men react to this or that kind of content compared to how women react to the same content. Still another example is how the titles of topics affects men's decisions to read them compared to how titles of topics affect women's decision to read them.

This topic seeks only personal opinions, not scientifically researched and tested answers. Also, although my question does not include the word, "post", you can assume that the posts within a topic are part of the topic and so the inquiry is about reading both topics and their posts.

Trying to appeal to members who are tell-us-topically inclined,

John

--hide--
Hi John. I had to go out of this topic and do a little research. When I am browsing the headings, I tend To look at something that catches my eye. I just posted on Marge's subject about why can't she remember how to layer lasagna and she asked for people to participate. It was fun and I got to comment. I generally shy away from antagonistic subjects and if they don't appear that way in the title but do in the first sentence, I am gone. I like subjects that welcome family stories or that I feel are comical. I don't feel educated enough to hold my own in political debates. I like to challenge my brain on some of these subjects and let sad subjects take me down that road because that is part for life. I like to experience all the emotions on the forum but I don't want to lose my cool and will wait to post on those subjects when I am in control. I want to hear what people say and understand their view. I guess that is what my friend meant when I want you to see what I see on my way around the block! Eileen.
Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: I know!!! (oh, wish there is a delete button out here)
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:


I know!!! (oh, wish there is a delete button out here)

--hide--
The main reason why I included words about omitting scientific studies was to avoid the kind of debate that might ensue if I seemed to be looking for the correct answer rather than just for personal opinions. If someone is familiar with some of the academic findings in this area that's fine as long as it does not tend to intimidate others who want to offer their views based only on subjective criteria.

Mar 8th 2013 new

As a man, I read from left to right, top to bottom. I believe that women like to read between the lines. laughing

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Brett-848238 said: As a man, I read from left to right, top to bottom. I believe that women like to read between the...
(Quote) Brett-848238 said:

As a man, I read from left to right, top to bottom. I believe that women like to read between the lines.

--hide--


That's the $1 million answer and said so succinctly...just like a man! laughing

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: (Quote) John-184825 said: One woman will read a profile in which the man claims h...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Quote:
John-184825 said: One woman will read a profile in which the man claims he is a hard worker and she will see the implication that he will be a good provider. A second woman will read the same profile with the same claim about working hard and see the implication that he is boastful.



I would conclude that he had no hobbies or interests beyond his work.

--hide--

tee, hee... and I would have caught myself wondering if hard working might translate to mean "work-aholic". wink Being a good provider is quite admirable, but not at the expense of family time - at least in my book.

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: You are correct. I answered a question you did not directly ask. I cannot answer how other wome...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

You are correct. I answered a question you did not directly ask. I cannot answer how other women read a topic or post. I can only answer for myself. I find that I try shy away from topics that appear as if they will take a downward spiral into bickering and negativity. Even in the current events forum, respectful discourse is enlightening and fun; topics stated as if there is no possible response to the topic other than to take a poll of those in agreement are not enlightening or fun. I am greatly interested in the views of others and concede that I know very little about a lot of things; however, I grow weary of topics and posts where folks repeat, repeat, repeat the same thing over and over. That's what the thumbs up and down are for. I have noticed in what appear to be controversial topics that when men answer honestly, women (I'm feeling right now a distaste for this generalization) often do not take a few moments to thoughtfully consider the response, but will instead become defensive. This is only how I see it and do not assert this view for others.

--hide--
Thanks for describing some aspects of your reading pattern in the fora. It was interesting. One approach that I take in order to reduce the likelihood that a topic will, in your words, take a downward spiral into bickering and negativity is to ask for subjective, personal views rather than the one and only correct answer.

I try to find ways to avoid writing topics that you describe as topics ... where folks repeat, repeat, repeat the same thing over and over, but it can be hard to find completely new material without becoming ridiculously trivial such as, "What are the best color of socks/hose to wear on an early afternoon date on a Tuesday in early spring?" laughing

Mar 8th 2013 new

[quote]John-184825 said: Thanks for describing some aspects of your reading pattern in the fora. It was interesting. One approach that I take in order to reduce the likelihood that a topic will, in your words, take a downward spiral into bickering and negativity is to ask for subjective, personal views rather than the one and only correct answer."


Thank you the input. Now, about those socks....

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: (Quote) John-184825 said: Thanks for describing some aspects of your reading pa...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

[quote]John-184825 said: Thanks for describing some aspects of your reading pattern in the fora. It was interesting. One approach that I take in order to reduce the likelihood that a topic will, in your words, take a downward spiral into bickering and negativity is to ask for subjective, personal views rather than the one and only correct answer."


Thank you the input. Now, about those socks....

--hide--
Orange hair with orange socks, I'd could say that really rocks!

Mar 8th 2013 new

Orange is THE color this spring.

Posts 11 - 20 of 37