Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

degree misunderstanding

Mar 6th 2013 new

If someone told you that they went to school for recreation, what would be your general thought about what that degree would mean?

Mar 6th 2013 new

Is recreation capitalized? This would make a huge difference if we are talking about someone who always writes grammatically correct sentences. If it is lower case it could suggest that they were not degree seeking but "just for fun". In other words, most of the classes I take.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: If someone told you that they went to school for recreation, what would be your general thought...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

If someone told you that they went to school for recreation, what would be your general thought about what that degree would mean?

--hide--

Jessica it would mean that they did not pay for their degree and are not planning on using their degree as part of the profession.

Mar 6th 2013 new

Maybe they're doing a "Tourism and Recreation" degree? Heh.

Or as others have said, maybe just faffing about at uni getting a degree that they can't use or dont' want to.

But degrees, even BAs [my own history professor used to call them a "bugger all" degree], are useful. It shows an employer a person can research, has general literacy skills and can put together a tangible argument - or at least mooch off someone else's.

I wouldn't completely fob off such a person, I went to uni and was doing a "recreation" degree, I have a string of papers from then that I cross credited to another branch of study now.

Real question is how much did it cost them? Student loan? Parents paid for their shenanigans? Scholarship? The answer might point to some clues on their fiscal responsibility.

Mar 6th 2013 new

You know what.....I would just ask. I would want someone to ask me if they didn't understand something on my profile. Ask if "recreation" refers to a degree or he just enjoys learning. DON'T say "do you have a degree or not" because it is over the computer and a person cannot hear the tone in which it is said and might believe you are making a judgement. But if you put it carefully and nicely, I'm sure the gentleman will answer.

Mar 6th 2013 new

A long time ago when I was on here, I asked someone their occupation. They thought I was shallow. That actually told me enough about them for me to make a decision. Sometimes a persons answer can determine things for you.

Mar 6th 2013 new

It would make a big difference if the "recreation" is capitalized or not. If they mean they're going to school just for recreation, then I would take it that they are using it to pass time, have fun, don't have any goals, and are not taking the education part of their experience very seriously.

If they're studying "Recreation", that's something different. I remember years ago my friends and I joking that wouldn't it be nice if we could all major in "Recreation" when we saw it listed in a college/university course calendar. As it turns out, it was an actual program geared towards the business management of events planning, the outdoors, and group activities, with graduates potentially seeking employment in management positions at places like theme parks, tourist resorts, or seniors' centres.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: If someone told you that they went to school for recreation, what would be your general thought...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

--hide--
The first thing that would come to mind is something the person enjoyed doing that he/she did not have to do. I would also ask for clarification.

Mar 6th 2013 new

There are actually Therapeutic Recreation people, that work in hospitals with patients to support physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc. in a "fun" way. So maybe that? It's a relatively new field....but that's the only thing that comes to mind, unless it's something like Parks and Rec. But do you need a degree for that?

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Is recreation capitalized? This would make a huge difference if we are talking about someone wh...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

Is recreation capitalized? This would make a huge difference if we are talking about someone who always writes grammatically correct sentences. If it is lower case it could suggest that they were not degree seeking but "just for fun". In other words, most of the classes I take.

--hide--

Yes, recreation is supposed to be capitalized... mistake on my part.

Posts 1 - 10 of 34