Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: You know what.....I would just ask. I would want someone to ask me if they didn't understan...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

You know what.....I would just ask. I would want someone to ask me if they didn't understand something on my profile. Ask if "recreation" refers to a degree or he just enjoys learning. DON'T say "do you have a degree or not" because it is over the computer and a person cannot hear the tone in which it is said and might believe you are making a judgement. But if you put it carefully and nicely, I'm sure the gentleman will answer.

--hide--

This question was posed towards me... lol. I am the one with the degree in Recreation. It's just that no one knows, in almost all the interviews I have what a Recreation degree is or intails.

Mar 6th 2013 new

I guess I should of asked the question this way. If you are an interviewer for a job let's say at a YMCA or a Recreation Center and an applicant had on their resume that they have a Bachelor of Science degree in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services what would be your recreation? Because I have gone into interviews where the interviewer has never heard of such a degree or they call me saying they are not giving me the position because they are looking for someone more qualified. How more quailified can one get? Yes, I don't have the experience because I am not given the opportunity but I have the degree where I learned the ins and outs of how a recreation facility operates. Grrrr to the whole expereince thing irked

Mar 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: If someone told you that they went to school for recreation, what would be your general thought about what th...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

If someone told you that they went to school for recreation, what would be your general thought about what that degree would mean?

--hide--

Why not just ask him?
Mar 6th 2013 new

reaction not recreation

Mar 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: Why not just ask him?
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said:

Why not just ask him?
--hide--

Oops. Sorry! I thought you were trying to figure out something from a guy's profile. I've now read on to find out you are the person with the degree in Receation.
Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: Oops. Sorry! I thought you were trying to figure out something from a guy's profile. I'...
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said:

Oops. Sorry! I thought you were trying to figure out something from a guy's profile. I've now read on to find out you are the person with the degree in Receation.
--hide--

It's okay, I realized after reading everyones response that I should of asked the question differently.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I guess I should of asked the question this way. If you are an interviewer for a job let's ...

I guess I should of asked the question this way. If you are an interviewer for a job let's say at a YMCA or a Recreation Center and an applicant had on their resume that they have a Bachelor of Science degree in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services what would be your recreation? Because I have gone into interviews where the interviewer has never heard of such a degree or they call me saying they are not giving me the position because they are looking for someone more qualified. How more quailified can one get? Yes, I don't have the experience because I am not given the opportunity but I have the degree where I learned the ins and outs of how a recreation facility operates. Grrrr to the whole expereince thing

--hide--

Oh! Well, as you can see from my previous response, I do know that there are degrees in Recreation ... one way to deal with this is if you get to the interview stage, have a small portfolio folder with you that includes a photocopy of your degree (with the seal on it) and a copy of the course calendar description clipped to it, so that the interviewer can see that it was a 2, 3 or 4 year (or whatever length) program, and what the courseload was like. They may choose not to look at it, but at least you can offer it as proof of your credentials.

It is crummy to get caught in the "don't have experience so I can't a job which I need to get the experience" cycle. You may try volunteering to get some experience in a work setting in your field. Good luck! crossfingers

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: Oh! Well, as you can see from my previous response, I do know that there are degrees...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

Oh! Well, as you can see from my previous response, I do know that there are degrees in Recreation ... one way to deal with this is if you get to the interview stage, have a small portfolio folder with you that includes a photocopy of your degree (with the seal on it) and a copy of the course calendar description clipped to it, so that the interviewer can see that it was a 2, 3 or 4 year (or whatever length) program, and what the courseload was like. They may choose not to look at it, but at least you can offer it as proof of your credentials.

It is crummy to get caught in the "don't have experience so I can't a job which I need to get the experience" cycle. You may try volunteering to get some experience in a work setting in your field. Good luck!

--hide--

Thank you, I did not know there was a degree in Recreation until the end of my sophomore year in college when I entered into the degree at the advice of the director of the Newman Center. I do have a portfolio, the department had us put together one during our last semester. It has references, a transcript, resume and class assignments that showcases what we learned and can bring to the job. I try to remember to bring it with me to every job interview but and this is a big but, I have not had the opportunity to show it to the interviewers because I just don't know how to bring up in the conversation that I have a portfolio showcasing what the degree is and what I have learned in my classes. Anyone have any suggestions on how to bring up the topic of my portfolio. I think out of the hundreds of interviews I have done only one person asked about my portfolio and that was the job for my practicum (internship) back in 2007.

I have thought about volunteering but I just have not found a place yet, I have tried at the local YMCA a few years ago but they apparently said they do not take volunteers at least that is what I thought I heard them say. Oh well, I keep searching, haven't really given up just yet.

Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I guess I should of asked the question this way. If you are an interviewer for a job let's ...

I guess I should of asked the question this way. If you are an interviewer for a job let's say at a YMCA or a Recreation Center and an applicant had on their resume that they have a Bachelor of Science degree in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services what would be your recreation? Because I have gone into interviews where the interviewer has never heard of such a degree or they call me saying they are not giving me the position because they are looking for someone more qualified. How more quailified can one get? Yes, I don't have the experience because I am not given the opportunity but I have the degree where I learned the ins and outs of how a recreation facility operates. Grrrr to the whole expereince thing

--hide--

If that is the formal degree title, I would avoid referring to it as simply "Recreation" in any context even remotely related to job hunting, at least until after you've gotten the formalities out of the way. "Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services" gives an entirely different impression than "Recreation" (even with a capital 'R')

Mar 6th 2013 new

Perhaps a degree in "Physical Education"? They do exist.

Ed

Posts 11 - 20 of 34