Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-814080 said: Jessica, with your degree you could go into Recreation Management and work for a Park or town. I ...
(Quote) Mary-814080 said:

Jessica, with your degree you could go into Recreation Management and work for a Park or town. I bet with your degree you had to take a budgeting class or two.

Don't give up, sometimes we do things that are not in our field of education but land on our feet years later doing something that we enjoy. Jobs seems to be opening up now but it is still hard to find one where you can use your degree to the fullest extent. I know that my BA was not in the field in which I work and today someone new would need a CPA to do what I do, but years of experience helps. I've seen many changes in my field in 23 years. The first 10 years out of college, I didn't know what I wanted to do and had switched jobs on average every 2 to 3 years.

Good Luck on your job search.
--hide--

One of the classes I took (don't remember the name) we had a topic on budgeting but we only spen at least a couple of weeks on money management. I haven't quite given up yet, I am still looking, though, I plan to go back to school in the fall (or at least it is my hope to) to get a one year certificate in Child Care Studies so I can have that classroom experience in child care services and hopefully that will make me stand out better to employers or at least I hope so.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: If I were you I would try the cruise ships...go travel and have some fun while you a...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

If I were you I would try the cruise ships...go travel and have some fun while you are young!

--hide--

A cruise ship would be nice but I couldn't do it. Too many hours working, no time to really enjoy myself, plus I am not much for going on cruises, I much prefer going on pilgrimages. Thank you for the idea though.

Mar 7th 2013 new

When I was still in the military, before I separated, they put my in a temporary position. I was in a hospital and could have my pick. One of them said "REC.".....I assumed it was "recreation" for kids and people who had to be at the hospital for long amounts of time. And I knew that a job like that existed. So I picked it. It turned out to be Medical Records. So yes, sometimes titles can be confusing.

Mar 7th 2013 new

Hi Jessica,

Interview processes can be such a pain and so confusing. I wish I had some good advice for that part of it. One of the hardest things about grad school especially for me, but some in undergrad as well, was learning how to "sell" myself, so to speak. Being able to toot my own horn, which seems so counter to everything we are taught about being humble, lol. With a degree in Anth, as well as many other degrees, I remember a class we had on professional development and getting a job and the person speaking told us, even when our degrees aren't mentioned as potential degrees for a position, we can and should tweak our presentation toward how our degree satisfies the needs of the job and what our strengths are because of our degrees that will make us good candidates, for instance if we have a lot of experience in research, or social engagement because of our field or if we have some special expertise because of our degree, like say GIS mapping or setting up Access databases. (These are just examples from my field, lol.) They also told us to make sure or CV or resume was different for each job we were inquiring about, rearranging them to highlight the things most pertinent to that job. I don't know if any of that will help, and you may already have done that or someone else may have mentioned these things already. I'll add it to my prayer list though :-). Lauren

Posts 31 - 34 of 34