Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

I agree with this article about who will be the nexy Pope , Cardinal Burke has more knowledge of the faith then any other Cardinal. He also has the best Chance at saving the Church in the west. I have listen to him before and he Impressed more then any other Cardinal in my life beside John paul and Benedict. I really think he will carry out benedict's legacy and bring back the Church to where Catholics will be proud to be Catholic. Check this out and see what you think all.www.taylormarshall.com

Mar 7th 2013 new

I don't know though. I'm a lawyer and conservative, so I like Burke. That said, there is something about Christian love that draws people in more than intellectualizing or philosophizing seems to. Benedict was brilliant, but there was an intellectual divide that made him unrelateable to many whom he would have hoped to convert. Burke is a man of the mind, and a great choice to shepperd those within, but a pope must be an evangelist, too. Devoted to truth, but a friend of the sinner and downhearted. Head of the Rota? Definately. Head of the Church? I'd rather see someone like Cardinal Tagle or even Arinze - old though he may be.

Cardinal Rai would be beautiful, too. A great move for uniting the churches of the Church.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said: I don't know though. I'm a lawyer and conservative, so I like Burke. That said, there ...
(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said:

I don't know though. I'm a lawyer and conservative, so I like Burke. That said, there is something about Christian love that draws people in more than intellectualizing or philosophizing seems to. Benedict was brilliant, but there was an intellectual divide that made him unrelateable to many whom he would have hoped to convert. Burke is a man of the mind, and a great choice to shepperd those within, but a pope must be an evangelist, too. Devoted to truth, but a friend of the sinner and downhearted. Head of the Rota? Definately. Head of the Church? I'd rather see someone like Cardinal Tagle or even Arinze - old though he may be.

Cardinal Rai would be beautiful, too. A great move for uniting the churches of the Church.

--hide--

The majority of Elector Cardinals are European. Europeans, in general, have a love/hate view of America. Most other countries have a similar bias.

Statistically, that makes the election of an American, any American, extremely problematical.

Mar 7th 2013 new

I'm praying for Cardinal Burke. We need a strong, firm Pontiff with a love of the liturgy (traditional) and he meets the mold.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-926612 said: I'm praying for Cardinal Burke. We need a strong, firm Pontiff with a love of the li...
(Quote) Edward-926612 said:

I'm praying for Cardinal Burke. We need a strong, firm Pontiff with a love of the liturgy (traditional) and he meets the mold.

--hide--
Amen! Dove

Mar 7th 2013 new

Although I think that Burke would be a wonderful choice to be the next pope, don't you think that it is highly unlikely that any American will be elected to the position? We are a super power and not a very well loved one at that. I can't see the electorate wanting to feel like they are giving Americans any more power/clout then we already have. Just my humble opinion.

Mar 7th 2013 new

I don't necessarily think it's a power thing. Most popes in the last century have been superstars. There are few that have lived with more charisma than JPII or brains than B16. Burke is great - Brilliant! But not the globally recognised superstar that the Cardinals will seek.

One of the major issues I see is that the American, anti-Catholic venom of the media would be unleashed on Burke for his orthodox convictions. A foreign pope, particularly one from Africa or Asia might attract less vitriol for fear that the attack might be veiwed as racially insensitive.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said: I don't necessarily think it's a power thing. Most popes in the last century have been...
(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said:

I don't necessarily think it's a power thing. Most popes in the last century have been superstars. There are few that have lived with more charisma than JPII or brains than B16. Burke is great - Brilliant! But not the globally recognised superstar that the Cardinals will seek.

One of the major issues I see is that the American, anti-Catholic venom of the media would be unleashed on Burke for his orthodox convictions. A foreign pope, particularly one from Africa or Asia might attract less vitriol for fear that the attack might be veiwed as racially insensitive.

--hide--

My thoughts exactly, Theodoric. Very well stated. Perhaps one from South America might be a possibility too?

Mar 8th 2013 new

But whom? Cadinal Sandri? His parents are Italian. I think he'd attract no less backlash. I can see all kinds of references to "The Mission" flooding the papers :P

Mar 8th 2013 new

Don't take this the wrong way, but I sincerely hope not. An American Pope could possibly isolate a lot of developing nations, and probably wouldn't do much to damper down hostile feelings in Middle Eastern nations - especially the extreme versions of Islam.

America is too powerful a nation, it'd be intimadating to have a Pope from such a superpower.

And saving the Church in the West? If they can't bolster numbers in their own countries, how can an American elected Pope do much more as Pope? Its not really about "saving" the Church in any particular geographical location, its about a global missionary. America isn't the be all and end all of Catholicism, and it certainly doesn't have the largest population of Catholics, nor does Europe for that matter, not any more, and certainly not practicing.

Posts 1 - 10 of 43