Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Post-schism. But whether or not they adhered to an Eastern liturgical tradition at the time of th...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Post-schism. But whether or not they adhered to an Eastern liturgical tradition at the time of their election is unknown.

Historical records show that there were Latin parishes in the Eastern Mediterranean prior to the schism.
--hide--

I don't doubt the Byzantine Popes celebrated the liturgy in the Latin tradition, as the Roman Pontiffs, but I thought the question was about Eastern (ethnic) Pope rather than Pope who celebrated the liturgy according to an Eastern tradition. :) No big deal. I think it would be awesome to have an Eastern Roman Pontiff again.

Mar 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I don't doubt the Byzantine Popes celebrated the liturgy in the Latin tradition, as the Roman Pon...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I don't doubt the Byzantine Popes celebrated the liturgy in the Latin tradition, as the Roman Pontiffs, but I thought the question was about Eastern (ethnic) Pope rather than Pope who celebrated the liturgy according to an Eastern tradition. :) No big deal. I think it would be awesome to have an Eastern Roman Pontiff again.

--hide--

Popes John XXIII and John Paul II celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom at least once during their reigns.
Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Popes John XXIII and John Paul II celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom at least o...

Popes John XXIII and John Paul II celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom at least once during their reigns.
--hide--

Yes, yes. I was not clear in what I wrote. I'm trying to get at regular adherence to a specific liturgical tradition. It seems obvious to me that the Roman Pontiff would have a regular adherence to the Latin Rite liturgy, whether at times he celebrated using Eastern Rites or not.

I'm not arguing against you...I'm trying to agree with you. :)

Mar 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Yes, yes. I was not clear in what I wrote. I'm trying to get at regular adherence to a specific...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Yes, yes. I was not clear in what I wrote. I'm trying to get at regular adherence to a specific liturgical tradition. It seems obvious to me that the Roman Pontiff would have a regular adherence to the Latin Rite liturgy, whether at times he celebrated using Eastern Rites or not.

I'm not arguing against you...I'm trying to agree with you. :)

--hide--

I'd love to have a Roman pontiff who follows the Byzantine rite. :)

I pray for the day that the Roman pontiff and Russian Orthodox patriarch concelebrate together at St. Peter's.
Mar 11th 2013 new

Benedict concelebrated with Bartholomew, did he not?

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I'd love to have a Roman pontiff who follows the Byzantine rite. :) I pray for the da...

I'd love to have a Roman pontiff who follows the Byzantine rite. :)

I pray for the day that the Roman pontiff and Russian Orthodox patriarch concelebrate together at St. Peter's.
--hide--

There is no concelebration in the Orthodox Church so it is unlikely you would ever see that. However you could see a Mass celebrated by one other the other where the Pope or Patriarch acted as deacon.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-278516 said:There is no concelebration in the Orthodox Church so it is unlikely you would ever see that. However you ...
(Quote) Brian-278516 said:There is no concelebration in the Orthodox Church so it is unlikely you would ever see that. However you could see a Mass celebrated by one other the other where the Pope or Patriarch acted as deacon.
--hide--

Didn't know! I'm Latin Rite.

Roman Catholic Pope Benedict XVI and Eastern Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople reciting the Nicene Creed in its original form in Greek. No Filioque! www.youtube.com

Perhaps he didn't concelebrate, but he shared in the celebration as a non-celebrant :) www.catholicculture.org Video on Youtube. I remeber watching it live on EWTN and being particularly moved.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Awesome wedding pics, by the way! Looks like a beautiful liturgy you had!

Mar 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said: Benedict concelebrated with Bartholomew, did he not?
(Quote) Theodoric-68091 said:

Benedict concelebrated with Bartholomew, did he not?

--hide--

No. Pope Benedict attended Vespers with Patriarch Bartholomew wearing his choir dress and not vested for Mass.
Posts 11 - 20 of 22