Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I've been to every state except Alabama.I'm picturing it as green and sunny and h...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I've been to every state except Alabama.

I'm picturing it as green and sunny and humid, with nice little mom-and-pop cafes and a significant mosquito population.

Are there any CMers from Alabama?

--hide--


I am! There are no nice little mom and pop cafes; sorry to dissappoint! There are, however, a ton of little hole-in-the-wall, melt in your mouth BBQ places with names like "Butt Hutt." ;) True story.

Mar 10th 2013 new

Ya-hoo! Even better!

You are now officially on my list of people to see when I go down there...someday.

Mar 10th 2013 new

I can't speak for Vermont, but one of the reasons I moved to Maine was that the natives are very friendly. The 16-year old bagger in the supermarket will chat with you, no matter who you are.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Think of NJ as a smaller California. We have the mountains, the highways, and the beaches (with...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Think of NJ as a smaller California. We have the mountains, the highways, and the beaches (with warmer water than CA, BTW), and the budget deficits, just on a smaller scale. You can go to the beach in the summer and ski here in the winter.

Oh. And turn off "Jersey Shore," "The Sopranos," and "The Real Housewives of New Jersey."

--hide--
And they're kinda shaped the same, only in opposite directions. Ironically, California is roughly shaped like the lower half of a 'C', while New Jersey is shaped like a "J"

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: For instance..... I see New Jersey as a state covered in asphalt and concrete. A state where...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

For instance.....

I see New Jersey as a state covered in asphalt and concrete. A state where school children are bussed to museums to see and touch real grass and trees.

I see Utah as a giant sandbox for adult males to use their ATVs, 4x4s and dirtbikes.


I see Mississippi as a state completely covered in kudzu with alligators underneath.


Here are the rules: You cannot use the words snow or cold or blizzard or freezing when referring to Minnesota.

--hide--



Ok Well when I think of Minnesota I think of Little House on the Praire :) Covered wagons and tough men working on farms.


New Jersey , well I live here, it has the best of everything but all jammed in a tiny state. William gave a good description. We have the beaches and mountains. The western part of the state is more rural. Funny on the border to PA there once read a sign, AMERICA starts here. Well NJ people didn't like that. Sort of like saying we are a toxic waste dump and we are not included in America. Well that sign did not last long. And from what I understand a lot of the waste and garbage goes to PA now since we are running out of room here in NJ.

Oh the Good Ole United States. I think each state has great history and has nice things in them.


Kathleen a native New Jersian although born in NYC wink oh and my mother is French Canadian. That is a beautiful country too !!!

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: For instance..... I see New Jersey as a state covered in asphalt and concrete. A state where...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

For instance.....

I see New Jersey as a state covered in asphalt and concrete. A state where school children are bussed to museums to see and touch real grass and trees.

I see Utah as a giant sandbox for adult males to use their ATVs, 4x4s and dirtbikes.


I see Mississippi as a state completely covered in kudzu with alligators underneath.


Here are the rules: You cannot use the words snow or cold or blizzard or freezing when referring to Minnesota.

--hide--
A friend from Minnesota gave me a book years ago titled, How to Talk Minnesotan (you can still get it on Amazon). It was a humorous book, covering subjects like...

Useful phrases such as "You bet", "That's different", and "Whatever"
Refusing food three times before accepting
The art of waving
Hotdish
Lutefisk
Talking about cars and starting cars in the winter
The Minnesotan "long goodbye"

What I remember most from it was a pie chart showing acceptable topics of conversation. 90% was devoted to weather and farming while the remaining 10% bunched together topics such as lutefisk recipes, ice-fishing, and Vikings football.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-146319 said: A friend from Minnesota gave me a book years ago titled, How to Talk Minnesotan (...
(Quote) John-146319 said:

A friend from Minnesota gave me a book years ago titled, How to Talk Minnesotan (you can still get it on Amazon). It was a humorous book, covering subjects like...

Useful phrases such as "You bet", "That's different", and "Whatever"
Refusing food three times before accepting
The art of waving
Hotdish
Lutefisk
Talking about cars and starting cars in the winter
The Minnesotan "long goodbye"

What I remember most from it was a pie chart showing acceptable topics of conversation. 90% was devoted to weather and farming while the remaining 10% bunched together topics such as lutefisk recipes, ice-fishing, and Vikings football.

--hide--


you betcha wink

Mar 10th 2013 new

Ya sure, you betcha I love visiting family in MN. While I do avoid the lutefisk I love getting fresh sweetcorn, eating hotdish and visiting family. We may go tubing, or just hang out by a lake. Once we went camping up by the boundry waters and that was absolutely beautiful. Also you can see many more stars in rural MN than you can in the Chicago area.

Other impressions of MN, no one likes spicy food and there is ketchup on the table everywhere, even at Mexican restaurants. People really are Minnesota nice. They may not be outgoing to strangers but they will be polite. Also there are wonderful desserts in Minnesota. Potlucks are particularly fun since you can normally sample several varieties of jello salad in addition to all the hotdish. I lived there for one year. It was a rather mild winter, I only got snowed in once and never went off the road into the ditch. People were bemoaning the unseasonable warmth that interfered with everything from ice fishing to dog sledding and ice sculpting at a winter carnival.

Mar 10th 2013 new

This is a fun thread.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Amber-931533 said: Ya sure, you betcha I love visiting family in MN. While I do avoid the lutefisk ...
(Quote) Amber-931533 said:

Ya sure, you betcha I love visiting family in MN. While I do avoid the lutefisk I love getting fresh sweetcorn, eating hotdish and visiting family. We may go tubing, or just hang out by a lake. Once we went camping up by the boundry waters and that was absolutely beautiful. Also you can see many more stars in rural MN than you can in the Chicago area.

Other impressions of MN, no one likes spicy food and there is ketchup on the table everywhere, even at Mexican restaurants. People really are Minnesota nice. They may not be outgoing to strangers but they will be polite. Also there are wonderful desserts in Minnesota. Potlucks are particularly fun since you can normally sample several varieties of jello salad in addition to all the hotdish. I lived there for one year. It was a rather mild winter, I only got snowed in once and never went off the road into the ditch. People were bemoaning the unseasonable warmth that interfered with everything from ice fishing to dog sledding and ice sculpting at a winter carnival.

--hide--


You are correct, lutefisk should be avoided at all costs, and never eaten under any circumstances crazy ... as for the ketchup, in Minnesota there are only three approved seasonings: salt, pepper, and ketchup. All other spices and condiments are to be avoided as well, especially anything spicy. Many a hotdish was completely ruined by adding anything else.

I'll be traveling to Arizona for the first time at the end of April, for CM-Phoenix (only $99/night, heckuva deal biggrin) My impression is hot, dry (hopefully not so much in April, however), scorpions and snakes everywhere shocked Lots of old people, too, I imagine ... kinda used to that from prior trips to FL, except the FL old people mostly seem to come from NY, and Arizona has lots of Minnesotan's, I hear. Looking forward to trying some real Mexican food, maybe even try something spicy. Probably have to bring my own ketchup bottle rolling eyes laughing

Posts 21 - 30 of 102