Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Your parish priests recognize that sports and sporting events seem to trump Mass attendance. Becaus...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Your parish priests recognize that sports and sporting events seem to trump Mass attendance. Because of the culture of our times and living in a diverse culture, sporting events are common on Sundays, as are other youth activities. Even when a popular professional sports team is playing an afternoon game, many people are in a rush to get out of Church.

It's not the sports on Sunday that's necessarily problematic -- it's the over-importance attributed. It would be better to schedule games on Saturdays but this doesn't always work well either.

Instead of a negative approach which is bound to cause rebellion among certain parishioners, the priests need to get back to basics and emphasize the importance of attending Mass. There are times when outside events produce some degree of legitimacy as far as some people needing to get out of Mass as soon as possible, even though there could be an element of disrespect. I would leave that up to a person's conscience. But....to see this on a regular weekly basis isn't contributing to spiritual growth.

As Catholics, we have an obligation to attend Mass. We are fortunate to be able to do this on Sundays AND Saturday early evenings. Any activity should be planned around attending Mass. Ideally it's to show the proper reverence to our Good Lord instead of trying to see how we can squeeze in Mass attendance into a busy schedule. With few exceptions, it's an easy thing to do.

An outright ban would most likely be ignored by many. In this we see two Commandments being neglected:

1. Thou shalt not have strange gods before thee. This is where the over emphasis on sports has crept in.

3. Remember: thou shalt keep holy the Lord's day.

The priests may have the right ideas in mind, but need a better approach to solve the problem.

I recall a major league baseball player who refused to play games on the Sabbath. He was Jewish. How are we practicing our Faith on the Sabbath?

--hide--

Great post, Ray! Aren't you on your Parish Council?

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: What do you think most of those kids were focused on during Mass: Mass or the upcoming ga...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

What do you think most of those kids were focused on during Mass: Mass or the upcoming game?

Sporting events can be scheduled on Saturday. Sunday is for the Lord and families.

--hide--

Jerry, keep in mind that this post was started in the single parent forums. We are not talking about intact families. I guess you'd have to ask the kids where their heads are. I suppose, for some, it's similar to attending school Mass with their classmates. Yes, there can distractions.

On the other hand, Mass and worship can be enhanced by the group experience. I know I treasure the Masses I attend with my CM friends.

In my parish, there were plenty of non-Catholic kids attending Mass with their team. I'd say there is value in that.

Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Brenda, I am so sorry to hear this. That's wrong! You are right about Little League, though....
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said:

Brenda, I am so sorry to hear this. That's wrong! You are right about Little League, though. I don't believe we played or practiced on Sundays!

--hide--

You know about twenty years ago I was blessed to meet Mother Angellica from EWTN and my family were guests in one of the cottages there. Her example was one I will never forget. On Saturday her help cooked enough food for the guests so that there would be no need to have hired help cooking on Sundays. We were expected to want to spend time in prayer and meditation as a family on Sundays. So I guess you could say I am not against sports, I am just against things that take away from our family life and faith activities.
Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Jerry, keep in mind that this post was started in the single parent forums. We ...

Jerry, keep in mind that this post was started in the single parent forums. We are not talking about intact families. I guess you'd have to ask the kids where their heads are. I suppose, for some, it's similar to attending school Mass with their classmates. Yes, there can distractions.

On the other hand, Mass and worship can be enhanced by the group experience. I know I treasure the Masses I attend with my CM friends.

In my parish, there were plenty of non-Catholic kids attending Mass with their team. I'd say there is value in that.

--hide--

Perhaps our families would have more of a chance of being intact if we still prayed together...
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Great post, Ray! Aren't you on your Parish Council?

Great post, Ray! Aren't you on your Parish Council?

--hide--
Yes, I'm on our council. It's a good opportunity to be a servant to the people in the parish.

And thank you for your kind words!!! hug

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Yes, I'm on our council. It's a good opportunity to be a servant to the people in the paris...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Yes, I'm on our council. It's a good opportunity to be a servant to the people in the parish.

And thank you for your kind words!!!

--hide--

Again, Ray, with level-headed, thoughtful posts like that, you must be a huge asset to your parish! I enjoy serving my parish as well, though I'm not on the council:)

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Perhaps our families would have more of a chance of being intact if we still prayed together...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Perhaps our families would have more of a chance of being intact if we still prayed together...
--hide--

Oh Brenda, sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons. Lots of us are single in spite of our prayers!

There are many positive benefits to youth sports. It does give us a chance to build bonds for under-privledged kids from broken homes. I know of too many positive examples to site including many, many positive examples for my own sons. Not every Sunday afternoon was spent at a game, but the ones that were, were very, very good ones!

Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Oh Brenda, sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons. Lots of us are single in spite of ...

Oh Brenda, sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons. Lots of us are single in spite of our prayers!

There are many positive benefits to youth sports. It does give us a chance to build bonds for under-privledged kids from broken homes. I know of too many positive examples to site including many, many positive examples for my own sons. Not every Sunday afternoon was spent at a game, but the ones that were, were very, very good ones!

--hide--

I was a single parent 22 years before I lost my son. And I actually think it is refreshing to see church leaders to call for a renewal of faith and prayer life in our families....
Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Again, Ray, with level-headed, thoughtful posts like that, you must be a huge asset to yo...

Again, Ray, with level-headed, thoughtful posts like that, you must be a huge asset to your parish! I enjoy serving my parish as well, though I'm not on the council:)

--hide--
Thank you again, Lisa. Your own participation in parish activities is a meaningful reminder that there are so many ways to serve and be of service. There's a need for people of all talents; that's what makes for a successful parish and community. Thank you for being active in your parish and contributing your gifts.

Mar 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Jerry, keep in mind that this post was started in the single parent forums. We a...

--hide--
Lisa, it seems to be a matter of what's being emphasized. Is the sporting event more important than anything else that day? It seems your parish has taken a wise approach and somehow has managed to successfully attain a sense of balance to this issue. Also, to have kids who aren't Catholic attend Mass can be an educational, meaningful experience for them. In case they have received misinformation about the "mysterious" Church, their participation can help clear up some of the erroneous information they heard elsewhere.

Posts 11 - 20 of 36