Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

03/09/2013 new

(Quote) Cherie-117432 said: At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on S...
(Quote) Cherie-117432 said: At the parish council meeting the other night I learned that our Priest feels strongly that sports on Sunday should be banned. As such, he is working toward banning sports on Sunday in our diocese. For many reasons, I do not agree. Curious to know how other parents might feel about sports on Sunday.
--hide--

Are you saying that your Catholic school sports teams play games on Sundays? That suprises me because I always assumed that Catholic schools would play games on Saturdays only... That's the case with our diocesan basketball league, but so far I've only had experiece with elementary school games, not high school.

I would agree with the priest - Catholic school teams playing games on Sundays just seems strange. Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. Frankly, that can be different things to different people. What for some is rest for others is work. Personally, I wouldn't have a moral problem with my son playing a sport on Sunday because that's far better and healthier than the alternative - video games! (We need a "sigh" emoticon). I also don't quite understand what "rest as a family at home" actually means - are you supposed to just sit in the living room and look at each other? I know that phrase is used a lot, and I've wondered for a long time what it actually means.... scratchchin

I heard a homily by FSSP priest on Sunday rest a few days ago, and he said that a hike would be fine on Sunday. How is a hike different from basketball? Both are a workout...

Anyway, at the same time, I can see how for other families, especially large families, games on Sundays could be more work than rest and interfere with their rest day, so to require kids to play sports on Sundays in a Catholic environment is not right.

03/09/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Are you saying that your Catholic school sports teams play games on Sundays? That surprise...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Are you saying that your Catholic school sports teams play games on Sundays? That surprises me because I always assumed that Catholic schools would play games on Saturdays only... That's the case with our diocesan basketball league, but so far I've only had experience with elementary school games, not high school.

I would agree with the priest - Catholic school teams playing games on Sundays just seems strange. Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. Frankly, that can be different things to different people. What for some is rest for others is work. Personally, I wouldn't have a moral problem with my son playing a sport on Sunday because that's far better and healthier than the alternative - video games! (We need a "sigh" emoticon). I also don't quite understand what "rest as a family at home" actually means - are you supposed to just sit in the living room and look at each other? I know that phrase is used a lot, and I've wondered for a long time what it actually means....

I heard a homily by FSSP priest on Sunday rest a few days ago, and he said that a hike would be fine on Sunday. How is a hike different from basketball? Both are a workout...

Anyway, at the same time, I can see how for other families, especially large families, games on Sundays could be more work than rest and interfere with their rest day, so to require kids to play sports on Sundays in a Catholic environment is not right.

--hide--

Hiking as a family is not competitive (usually) but basketball games and tournaments certainly are!
Resting as a family does not mean sitting and staring at each other -- it means no rushing here and there, no scheduled activities other than Mass. It means everyone gets to talk to each other, play games or with toys or read or whatever unrushed activity they choose!
And if you don't like your son playing video games, limit the use of them! My kids have limited screen time and are voracious readers, love playing together, talk a lot to each other, and aren't dependant on electronics for 'fun' -- as the parent, who make the rules.
As parents, I wish we could have sports on Saturday and keep Sunday calm and joyful, not rushed and competitive.
Especially tournaments that go from 10am to 6pm -- those really mess up family time.

03/09/2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Hiking as a family is not competitive (usually) but basketball games and tournaments certainly a...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Hiking as a family is not competitive (usually) but basketball games and tournaments certainly are!
Resting as a family does not mean sitting and staring at each other -- it means no rushing here and there, no scheduled activities other than Mass. It means everyone gets to talk to each other, play games or with toys or read or whatever unrushed activity they choose!
And if you don't like your son playing video games, limit the use of them! My kids have limited screen time and are voracious readers, love playing together, talk a lot to each other, and aren't dependant on electronics for 'fun' -- as the parent, who make the rules.
As parents, I wish we could have sports on Saturday and keep Sunday calm and joyful, not rushed and competitive.
Especially tournaments that go from 10am to 6pm -- those really mess up family time.

--hide--

So is that the underlying problem with sports on Sundays - their competitive nature? Tournaments from 10 to 6? Yikes! That would be trying on any day of the week! I'm thinking a basketball game that lasts 1 hour... Clearly you can tell I haven't experienced real sports yet. smile

My son is an only child and doesn't really have many friends in the neighborhood - so if he can't watch TV or play video games, he'll be bored out of his mind. Not all kids like to read - I didn't as a kid, and my son doesn't either. What I'll end up with is a kid who relies on me for entertainment all day, and I get tired of driving him around all the time. That doesn't sound very restful either.

03/09/2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Hiking as a family is not competitive (usually) but basketball games and tournaments certa...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

--hide--

See that is why I don't like sports on Sundays. Especially for rural communities that only have one Mass available on weekends.....
03/09/2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: So is that the underlying problem with sports on Sundays - their competitive nature? Tournaments ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

So is that the underlying problem with sports on Sundays - their competitive nature? Tournaments from 10 to 6? Yikes! That would be trying on any day of the week! I'm thinking a basketball game that lasts 1 hour... Clearly you can tell I haven't experienced real sports yet.

My son is an only child and doesn't really have many friends in the neighborhood - so if he can't watch TV or play video games, he'll be bored out of his mind. Not all kids like to read - I didn't as a kid, and my son doesn't either. What I'll end up with is a kid who relies on me for entertainment all day, and I get tired of driving him around all the time. That doesn't sound very restful either.

--hide--

I used to plan activities with my son on Sundays. Weather permitting picnics in the parks or just playing together....I think the idea is to want to spend time reading, praying, teaching the kids on Sundays.
03/09/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: So is that the underlying problem with sports on Sundays - their competitive nature? Tourn...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

So is that the underlying problem with sports on Sundays - their competitive nature? Tournaments from 10 to 6? Yikes! That would be trying on any day of the week! I'm thinking a basketball game that lasts 1 hour... Clearly you can tell I haven't experienced real sports yet.

--hide--

Everything about sports competitions on Sunday is not bad, but most of it is not positive, restful, God-centered.

An only child should be able to entertain himself in many ways rather than electronic stupor -- Legos, chemistry sets, outdoor play, biking, scooters, woodworking, drawing, play-do or clay, toys, having a friend over, etc. Parents are not to be entertainers and it is great for the creativity and imagination forachild to learn to entertain himself -- especially in nature and play.

03/10/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: So is that the underlying problem with sports on Sundays - their competitive nature? Tourn...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

--hide--
Lisa -- the basketball game might last only an hour, but there's getting ready time, showing up early so the youngsters can put on their uniforms, and the aftermath -- showers, getting back into street clothes. Well....there goes the afternoon.

As I stated previously, I'd prefer that games be held on Saturdays or perhaps even Friday evenings. Some sporting events begin even earlier than 10 AM, making it even more difficult on a Sunday. Because of the number of teams on many leagues, playing runs into Sundays. Going to Church is something that is squeezed in rather than a focal point of the day. It takes careful management to avoid being rushed. Playing on Sundays per se isn't wrong with the proper perspective. It's getting away from the routine of the week -- the kids sitting at their desks, stationary much of the time. It's all of the other stuff that goes with it. Good conduct and sportsmanship should be an integral part of the game, no matter when it is played.

As far as your son is concerned, it would be helpful to plan some activity with him (trip to a zoo, park, museum or visiting relatives or many other possibilities) that accomplish the same thing -- a refreshing break from the school routine. It would help if he would find something to develop as a hobby so that he can devote time to it on his own without pressuring your time. It might be easier said than done, but he will need some type of outside interest sooner or later. There are so many constructive hobbies that he can handle on his own so there should be something out there to pique his interest. He just needs to discover what his interests are besides electronics and TV. Not everyone enjoys reading (both children and adults alike) but hobbies can be very absorbing and restful.

03/10/2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: It would help if he would find something to develop as a hobby so that he can devote time to it on ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

It would help if he would find something to develop as a hobby so that he can devote time to it on his own without pressuring your time. It might be easier said than done, but he will need some type of outside interest sooner or later. There are so many constructive hobbies that he can handle on his own so there should be something out there to pique his interest. He just needs to discover what his interests are besides electronics and TV. Not everyone enjoys reading (both children and adults alike) but hobbies can be very absorbing and restful.

--hide--

I agree that indeed would be nice for him to have a hobby, except that it wouldn't be fruitful for me to force him into one, and he hasn't come up with one on his own. He does love to ski but that hobby sets me back over $1,000 each trip. Most hobbies are not God-centered either though so not sure how they would be any more appropriate for Sunday than screen time or sports. All of these things are a break from the school routine.

03/10/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I agree that indeed would be nice for him to have a hobby, except that it wouldn't be ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I agree that indeed would be nice for him to have a hobby, except that it wouldn't be fruitful for me to force him into one, and he hasn't come up with one on his own. He does love to ski but that hobby sets me back over $1,000 each trip. Most hobbies are not God-centered either though so not sure how they would be any more appropriate for Sunday than screen time or sports. All of these things are a break from the school routine.

--hide--
Agreed, Lisa -- you can't force him into something. But....if he isn't introduced and exposed to some outside activities, he won't get acquainted with them, which leads to not adopting one.

Ideally, an activity would be God-centered, but wholesome recreation and hobbies represent a change of pace from the normal routine, so their primary function isn't an obvious religious experience. Yet, it can help us appreciate our world and relationship with our Creator, even if only casually.

Sadly, there is a cost factor with many sporting activities and hobbies. The interest and emphasis has led to more expensive equipment being developed. Because the economy was booming, along with enthusiastic interest, more expensive equipment was brought out. It is ridiculously expensive and not affordable to everyone. But...there are low or no-cost activities. Our local newspaper lists several low cost activites taking place in the area; also freebies. It seems there is something suitable for most interests. Music, for example, is common, with free park concerts with almost every type of music venue imaginable. Obviously, those in sparsely populated areas don't have these opportunities.

Many parents have an innate sense of creativeness. If a person isn't coming up with ideas, perhaps another parent could be contacted for ideas. During these difficult times, it's necessary to be frugal and creative, or find someone who can help in this area. There's a whole world out there to be explored. It's up to the people to find ways to accomplish that, as circumstances permit. An excessive attachment to today's electronic gadgets that keep a person glued to his or her seat isn't likely to result in a well rounded person.

03/10/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I was a single parent 22 years before I lost my son. And I actually think it is refreshing to se...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I was a single parent 22 years before I lost my son. And I actually think it is refreshing to see church leaders to call for a renewal of faith and prayer life in our families....
--hide--

Again, Brenda, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Of course we want church leaders to lead us in our faith. Our pastor would cancel all after school activities including sports when we would have a Parish Mission. It was wonderful and I applaud his actions. No Scouts, no evening meetings of any kind to interfere with attendance at the Mission.

Posts 21 - 30 of 36