Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Lisa -- the basketball game might last only an hour, but there's getting ready time, showing up...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Lisa -- the basketball game might last only an hour, but there's getting ready time, showing up early so the youngsters can put on their uniforms, and the aftermath -- showers, getting back into street clothes. Well....there goes the afternoon.

As I stated previously, I'd prefer that games be held on Saturdays or perhaps even Friday evenings. Some sporting events begin even earlier than 10 AM, making it even more difficult on a Sunday. Because of the number of teams on many leagues, playing runs into Sundays. Going to Church is something that is squeezed in rather than a focal point of the day. It takes careful management to avoid being rushed. Playing on Sundays per se isn't wrong with the proper perspective. It's getting away from the routine of the week -- the kids sitting at their desks, stationary much of the time. It's all of the other stuff that goes with it. Good conduct and sportsmanship should be an integral part of the game, no matter when it is played.

As far as your son is concerned, it would be helpful to plan some activity with him (trip to a zoo, park, museum or visiting relatives or many other possibilities) that accomplish the same thing -- a refreshing break from the school routine. It would help if he would find something to develop as a hobby so that he can devote time to it on his own without pressuring your time. It might be easier said than done, but he will need some type of outside interest sooner or later. There are so many constructive hobbies that he can handle on his own so there should be something out there to pique his interest. He just needs to discover what his interests are besides electronics and TV. Not everyone enjoys reading (both children and adults alike) but hobbies can be very absorbing and restful.

--hide--

Ray, it's too easy to imagine alternatives when one also gets to make assumptions. Kids aren't pro athletes with uniforms and showers. For most sports, you get a tee-shirt. My own experience was one of very limited financial resources as were my parish and fellow parishioners. Sure, some sports are on Sundays, like track and youth football, but we are only talking about maybe 6 Sundays a year per sport.

I've been flying solo since my sons were 18 mos and 4 yo. I had the no TV rule and I did not allow video games in my house. Both my sons took lots of music lessons and played several instruments. We lived a half block from school and church, so transportation or teammates were never an issue. The boys on our street, fellow alter servers, could field a LL team and often did. The sports never interfered with our Mass attendance or Faith Formation. We were blessed with very devote Catholic coaches who led by example. It helped to have 3 and 4 generations in the neighborhood, too. Often, grandfathers would coach and they have so much more time to give to the development of young people's character and spiritual development.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Ray, it's too easy to imagine alternatives when one also gets to make assumptions. Ki...
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said:

Ray, it's too easy to imagine alternatives when one also gets to make assumptions. Kids aren't pro athletes with uniforms and showers. For most sports, you get a tee-shirt. My own experience was one of very limited financial resources as were my parish and fellow parishioners. Sure, some sports are on Sundays, like track and youth football, but we are only talking about maybe 6 Sundays a year per sport.

I've been flying solo since my sons were 18 mos and 4 yo. I had the no TV rule and I did not allow video games in my house. Both my sons took lots of music lessons and played several instruments. We lived a half block from school and church, so transportation or teammates were never an issue. The boys on our street, fellow alter servers, could field a LL team and often did. The sports never interfered with our Mass attendance or Faith Formation. We were blessed with very devote Catholic coaches who led by example. It helped to have 3 and 4 generations in the neighborhood, too. Often, grandfathers would coach and they have so much more time to give to the development of young people's character and spiritual development.

--hide--
Lisa -- we're back to individual circumstances. Because they differ from person to person, it's sometimes difficult to make widespread generalizations. Our tendency is to base our comments on what we see happening right around us. Certainly there are many exceptions, and yours is an excellent example of how to combine practicing the faith, yet participating in sports in a productive way. During Mass, as I was reflecting on this, I thought, too, about the limits in the season for each type of sports. Some youngsters though are playing in several sports and that involves them year round. One sport with a 6 week season is much more manageable.

Around here, sports are over-emphasized, especially at the high school level. Games and tournaments are sometimes commencing at 8 AM on Sundays. Also, a few of the coaches aren't helping the situation with their "winning is everything" attitude. Your own situation presents more of an ideal -- everyone is involved in a positive way to honor God in what they do, and maintain a proper, healthy perspective. If all areas conducted their activites as yours did, this topic wouldn't exist.

Your own children have become well-rounded with their sporting interests, music lessons, and much more that you have taught them. A good lesson is that they can survive without all of the electronic trappings. That could be another topic too because there are benefits to some of them, so we can't issue a blanket condemnation. It's all about balance, which you have seemed to have accomplished.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Lisa -- we're back to individual circumstances. Because they differ from person to person, it&#...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Lisa -- we're back to individual circumstances. Because they differ from person to person, it's sometimes difficult to make widespread generalizations. Our tendency is to base our comments on what we see happening right around us. Certainly there are many exceptions, and yours is an excellent example of how to combine practicing the faith, yet participating in sports in a productive way. During Mass, as I was reflecting on this, I thought, too, about the limits in the season for each type of sports. Some youngsters though are playing in several sports and that involves them year round. One sport with a 6 week season is much more manageable.

Around here, sports are over-emphasized, especially at the high school level. Games and tournaments are sometimes commencing at 8 AM on Sundays. Also, a few of the coaches aren't helping the situation with their "winning is everything" attitude. Your own situation presents more of an ideal -- everyone is involved in a positive way to honor God in what they do, and maintain a proper, healthy perspective. If all areas conducted their activites as yours did, this topic wouldn't exist.

Your own children have become well-rounded with their sporting interests, music lessons, and much more that you have taught them. A good lesson is that they can survive without all of the electronic trappings. That could be another topic too because there are benefits to some of them, so we can't issue a blanket condemnation. It's all about balance, which you have seemed to have accomplished.

--hide--

ah, much better, Ray! And I do agree that it does come down to individual circumstances. It sounds like your community is a bit more affluent then my personal experience. I agree that youth sports can get nutty! Really, parents can obsess about anything. You will find that it happens more with intact families who are not stretched as thin as those of us who have been forced to fly solo.

My boys played sports nearly year round starting at the Y, then CYO-school and high school and college. I had a decent LL-er back in the day and was known to stand up from a tournement and say, "See you in two weeks at football!" With two LL-ers, I was at the ball diamond 6 days a week and loved every minute of it. I still enjoy attending youth sports games. And, as a banker, my boss required me to take up golf which meant we all three learned to play.

Still, I was appalled recently when I heard that a local public school coach required his football team to meet Sunday morning. That's wrong! My kid had state championship rings and they never met on Sunday! Wasn't it Gayle Sayers who said, "I am third?" That's the lesson of sports!

Mar 11th 2013 new

I am moving this thread as the discussion his not really about single parenting but the idea of participation in competitive sports on Sunday.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Sports on Sunday is a very good thing, since it's recreation and the community coming together to be in relationship. The only issue is when people start taking it so seriously that it ceases to serve us and requires us to serve it.

Mar 11th 2013 new

My children played sports on Saturday and Sunday as part of the Catholic School Athletic Association. On Saturday games had to be over by five pm and on Sunday they could not start until one, so that they did not interrupt Mass schedules. I much prefer this, as families are able to participate together and Mass is still made the primary focus of the weekend. Unlike the public schools who have sporting events all throughout the week, often during the school day and make it difficult for parents to participate in all but the most popular sports like boys football :-).

Posts 31 - 36 of 36