Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-443439 said: I love animal prints! Like with any article of clothing it is how you wear it! And yes, modes...
(Quote) Michelle-443439 said:

I love animal prints! Like with any article of clothing it is how you wear it! And yes, modesty can be very sexy! There is NOTHING wrong with being sexy, radiant, confident or beaming! Feel good about yourself and be true to who you are! That is always an attractive quality!

--hide--

I've noticed the word "sexy" a few times in a few posts over the time I've been here. Always mentioned in some sort of "catholic" context.

Frankly, I find it unsettling and we need to find a better word to describe modesty. Because sexy and modesty go together like chocolate cake and necrotising facilitis.

Oxford English Dictonary defines sexy as:

1. sexually attractive or exciting: sexy French underwear.

* sexually aroused. neither of them was feeling sexy.

2. very exciting of appealing: business magzines might not seem like the sexiest career choice.

And from the OE Theraursaurus.

seductive, desirable, alluring, inviting, sensual, sultry, slinky, provocative, tempting, tantalising, nuile, lush, flirtatious,

informal: bedable, come-to-bed, bootylicious, foxy:

And then there's this gem, Aussie vulgar slang (removed).

In the context of "sexy" it is clear that current trends lend themselves to a lustful application. As Catholics, we cannot in any seriousness use the word "sexy" in regards to chaste behaviour or dress. I'd even go so far as to safely say such an attempt by Catholics to "borrow" the word sexy is commiting the sin of scandal.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:   I've noticed the word "sexy" a few times in a few posts over the time I've been h...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I've noticed the word "sexy" a few times in a few posts over the time I've been here. Always mentioned in some sort of "catholic" context.

Frankly, I find it unsettling and we need to find a better word to describe modesty. Because sexy and modesty go together like chocolate cake and necrotising facilitis.

Oxford English Dictonary defines sexy as:

1. sexually attractive or exciting: sexy French underwear.

* sexually aroused. neither of them was feeling sexy.

2. very exciting of appealing: business magzines might not seem like the sexiest career choice.

And from the OE Theraursaurus.

seductive, desirable, alluring, inviting, sensual, sultry, slinky, provocative, tempting, tantalising, nuile, lush, flirtatious,

informal: bedable, come-to-bed, bootylicious, foxy:

And then there's this gem, Aussie vulgar slang (removed).

In the context of "sexy" it is clear that current trends lend themselves to a lustful application. As Catholics, we cannot in any seriousness use the word "sexy" in regards to chaste behaviour or dress. I'd even go so far as to safely say such an attempt by Catholics to "borrow" the word sexy is commiting the sin of scandal.

--hide--

Thank you, Naomi!! Finally someone who understands that word is not at all one to interchange with 'feminine' 'attractive' or nicely modest!!!!!

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Thank you, Naomi!! Finally someone who understands that word is not at all one to i...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Thank you, Naomi!! Finally someone who understands that word is not at all one to interchange with 'feminine' 'attractive' or nicely modest!!!!!

--hide--

Another way I think we can all look at it, we refer to Our Holy and Blessed Mother Mary, sinless and chaste. She is the height of feminine beauty, her attractiveness is what we should be emmulating.

Dare anyone speak of our Blessed Mother Mary as "sexy"?

Mar 11th 2013 new

It appears some are afraid of being attractive, desirable and worthy of another's admiration. Frankly, I love the confidence of looking in the mirror and feeling good about myself. To deny oneself the ability to smile at the reflection and enjoy the moment is just sad. I have learned to love myself good, bad or indifferent. Take that moment and embrace the beauty within. You just might be amazed how it reflects to others as well!

Mar 11th 2013 new
There's nothing wrong with prettying yourself and taking pride in your appearance, as long as you don't cross over into vanity. The problem is "sexy". Dressing in a manner that places your appearance above your inherent dignity and chasitity is not ok. Especially when your appearance could cause another to lust. Dress well, dress in a modest way that makes you feel good? But "sexy" is not appropriate, you are a human being, made in the image and likeness of God, we all need to remember that when selecting our outfit.
Mar 11th 2013 new

It is ok to feel good about yourself. One can not help it if a person of the opposite sex lusts over how you appear. Some will lust irregardless of how you look anyway. I consider myself to be a lady and I dress accordingly, and yes I may even feel sexy at times, but I don't have to show my body to feel that way. It has to do with ones attitude and how one presents ones self, and in my eyes it is not a sin to feel that way.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Hi Rachel,

In my opinion the perspectives lie with the person reviewing it. As a guy I have seen women in both tight pants, low-cut necklines or loose dresses with total cover-ups. Each wearer has her own intention - to look good, alluring, confidence, propagating the love for animals...etc.

It's how they present themselves and how I want to see that woman as. When I was married man I would look at them as interesting clothing with a strong personality style. I don't have an inclination to be attracted to them. I was mindful as a married man with a wonderful wife and a family life.

As a single now as a widower, I maybe drawn a bit more to them as I am in a position to start a relationship. Then I would be aware of the alluring clothing she projects for appreciation or attraction.

That's my perspective to your interesting post.

Cheers,

Cliff

Apr 13th 2013 new

I just bought a vintage 1950's Leopard print swing coat! I love it and four ladies and one man, all strangers to me said it looked as if it were made for me. And the owners of this antique mall and car museum, are Catholics at my parish! And we are a conservative traditional parish, where the priests tell the women and men if they are inapproprietly dressed. And they have never had to say that to me. I love my new coat. Thanks wink

Posts 41 - 48 of 48