Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

To be or not to be a vegan?

Mar 10th 2013 new

I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary that talks about (and provides scientific research findings) eating a plant-based and whole grain diet with no meat, eggs or milk. The doctors in the documentary said that eating this way heals all sorts of diseases and gives you more energy. It sounds very appealing, but I imagine planning vegan meals will be very difficult, especially in the beginning. Any vegans out there who can attest to the health beneifts of such a diet? Do you really feel better or is this just a fad?

(If I try this, it would have to be a modified vegan diet that allows fish because life without sushi is just not worth living.) Chef

Mar 10th 2013 new

Good topic. I wonder how much healthier it is to be a vegan. Aren't there health benefits to milk (Vitamin D), some meat (protein & iron) and even eggs got a bad rap but they have some nutrients also.

Heck, I struggle a little on Fridays during Lent. Don't think I could do it all the time... cool

Mar 10th 2013 new

According to the research they presented in the movie, the difference is huge. People's blood pressure and cholesterol dropped signficantly, their blook sugar normalized - all kinds of benefits. Almost too good to be true...

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: According to the research they presented in the movie, the difference is huge. People's blood p...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

According to the research they presented in the movie, the difference is huge. People's blood pressure and cholesterol dropped signficantly, their blook sugar normalized - all kinds of benefits. Almost too good to be true...

--hide--

I wonder sometimes. Wasn't Linda McCartney a big vegan? And she died of breast cancer. I think of my dad. He enjoys food - will try almost anything, will eat meat (and vegetables), fish, Chinese, Italian food, pizza, etc. He'll sometimes have a drink before dinner (he likes scotch). He's 87 years old, still active and lives independently. His parents lived until their mid 80s and he had aunts who died in their mid 90s. I think genetics can trump diet in some situations. Hard to say.

I hear there is also some raw movement - some people will not eat anything cooked above a certain temperature? boggled Years ago, I remember "rice cakes" being popular for dieters. Tasted like Styrofoam. I lost interest in that fast.

Mar 10th 2013 new

I for one think veganism is a load of nonsense. What's making people unhealthy in the modern world is highly processed foods. Not meat. If we weren't meant to eat meat, we wouldnt' have cainine teeth within our gobs. Those are for meat eaters!

Besides, high protein, meat I mean, is fantastic for wound healing.

I' know a lot of vegetarians/vegans and they're not exactly healthy. They may have low cholestoerol et cetera, but they're skinny, always get colds and take ages to heal when they get a cut.

Everything in moderation. Cut out the highly processed stuff and you should be fine.

What makes me smile, though, is the extreme vegans who think everyone should share their diet. If that were to happen, if the world were to go vegan to save all the animals, we'd have to kill all the animals because we'd need the pastures to grow our wheat and soy products.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: What makes me smile, though, is the extreme vegans who think everyone should share their diet. If...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

What makes me smile, though, is the extreme vegans who think everyone should share their diet. If that were to happen, if the world were to go vegan to save all the animals, we'd have to kill all the animals because we'd need the pastures to grow our wheat and soy products.

--hide--

Speaking of vegan diets and soy, that's another one of the biggest problem of going entirely vegetarian. In order to get the protein their bodies need, most people supplement their diet with soy products. Soy is one of the most genetically modified foods out there, and has been linked to numerous serious health problems, including infertility, especially in men.

Mar 10th 2013 new
While I am not a vegan, or vegetarian, one of my best friends has lymphoma. Along with the regular medical things you go through, one Doctor told her to eat vegan, and her blood counts would improve. He challenged her to try it for 3 months and then review the results. in that period of time, her blood counts improved incredbly.

So I would just say that in her situation, with her health issues, it will extend her life.

I do make vegan meals when I have a dinner party and she is there. Everyone else likes it too... maybe not all the time, but at least at my house.
Mar 10th 2013 new

As for me, it's not going to happen. I may not eat huge quantities of meat but I love to cook and eat a wide spectrum of dishes. I guess I get bored with eating the same old things, I like to mix things up. Heck, if I see someone's profile where they classify themselves as vegan, it is a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I'm one heck of a cook and too old to start totally trying to revamp my cooking and eating patterns now and I refuse to cook two separate meals.

A few months before my mother passed away at the age of 80, she was stressing out trying to understand what types of things she could or couldn't eat regarding the 'heart healthy diet' her doctor kept telling her she needed to be on. I finally sat down and told her that she had a choice (we always do). She could decide to approach her remaining life with either the aim of quality or quantity. If she was genuinely anxious to live as long as she humanly could, then we could print her out menus, recipes and shopping lists of what she needed and she'd have to work diligently to follow the recommendations. If on the other hand, she preferred to live out the remainder of her time, doing and enjoying the things that she had always done, then she could do so but must realize that she may or may not be with us as long. Although she was still somewhat fearful of dying, she chose the later and continued to cook what she liked and the way she always had.

Personally, I try to avoid much processed food with all the additives etc., as I enjoy cooking from scratch, by the healthiest means possible . That being said, people don't keep asking for my recipes because I cook with bean sprouts! wink Besides; while I may not have a death wish, I also have no great desire to make myself miserable just so I can stay down here longer. I'm looking forward to the day I get called home! Harp

Mar 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary that talks abo...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary that talks about (and provides scientific research findings) eating a plant-based and whole grain diet with no meat, eggs or milk. The doctors in the documentary said that eating this way heals all sorts of diseases and gives you more energy. It sounds very appealing, but I imagine planning vegan meals will be very difficult, especially in the beginning. Any vegans out there who can attest to the health beneifts of such a diet? Do you really feel better or is this just a fad?

(If I try this, it would have to be a modified vegan diet that allows fish because life without sushi is just not worth living.)

--hide--
Personally, I've made the decision to become a vegetarian, but before I do that I'm waiting for beef, pork, and chicken to be declared as vegetables. Until then ... :)
Mar 10th 2013 new
I totally agree Naomi! I have a good friend that followed a vegan diet and she lost too much weight and was always tired, no energy and sickly. She finally went to her doctor who told her to start eating meat again...now she is back to normal and full of energy and healthy!
Posts 1 - 10 of 200