Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I for one think veganism is a load of nonsense. What's making people unhealthy in the modern ...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I for one think veganism is a load of nonsense. What's making people unhealthy in the modern world is highly processed foods. Not meat. If we weren't meant to eat meat, we wouldnt' have cainine teeth within our gobs. Those are for meat eaters!

Besides, high protein, meat I mean, is fantastic for wound healing.

I' know a lot of vegetarians/vegans and they're not exactly healthy. They may have low cholestoerol et cetera, but they're skinny, always get colds and take ages to heal when they get a cut.

Everything in moderation. Cut out the highly processed stuff and you should be fine.

What makes me smile, though, is the extreme vegans who think everyone should share their diet. If that were to happen, if the world were to go vegan to save all the animals, we'd have to kill all the animals because we'd need the pastures to grow our wheat and soy products.

--hide--

This is my problem too..They aren't just happy with their own diet being vegan, they try to force feed it down everybody elses throats too.. There used to be a woman vegetarian on here and she would start threads and post videos of animals being slaughtered.. I refused to view them. Fine if you want to eat nothing but vegetables, but leave me and my T-bone's alone.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-444789 said: As for me, it's not going to happen. I may not eat huge quantities of meat but I love to coo...
(Quote) Brenda-444789 said:

As for me, it's not going to happen. I may not eat huge quantities of meat but I love to cook and eat a wide spectrum of dishes. I guess I get bored with eating the same old things, I like to mix things up. Heck, if I see someone's profile where they classify themselves as vegan, it is a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I'm one heck of a cook and too old to start totally trying to revamp my cooking and eating patterns now and I refuse to cook two separate meals.

A few months before my mother passed away at the age of 80, she was stressing out trying to understand what types of things she could or couldn't eat regarding the 'heart healthy diet' her doctor kept telling her she needed to be on. I finally sat down and told her that she had a choice (we always do). She could decide to approach her remaining life with either the aim of quality or quantity. If she was genuinely anxious to live as long as she humanly could, then we could print her out menus, recipes and shopping lists of what she needed and she'd have to work diligently to follow the recommendations. If on the other hand, she preferred to live out the remainder of her time, doing and enjoying the things that she had always done, then she could do so but must realize that she may or may not be with us as long. Although she was still somewhat fearful of dying, she chose the later and continued to cook what she liked and the way she always had.

Personally, I try to avoid much processed food with all the additives etc., as I enjoy cooking from scratch, by the healthiest means possible . That being said, people don't keep asking for my recipes because I cook with bean sprouts! Besides; while I may not have a death wish, I also have no great desire to make myself miserable just so I can stay down here longer. I'm looking forward to the day I get called home!

--hide--

When my grandmother was in her late 80's her cholesterol and triglycerides were found to be really high.. The doctor wanted to put her on a low cholesterol diet.. My mother had been on one for several years and hated it. She said 'No WAY am I going to put my mother through it.." Grandma died when she was 92, and she spent her last years eating ice cream every day, because that's what she wanted.

Mar 10th 2013 new

I am not a vegan or vegetarian. I have a friend who is a pisco-vegetarian (fish+veggies, essentially Lenten all year long) who isn't Catholic and it's a health thing for her plus also the animal abuse thing. Likewise I have another friend -- this one, Catholic -- who is sometimes-vegan for health reasons. And one more friend who generally avoids meat, and I think his reason is the animal abuse issue.

In the US, there's been some violent acts by animals rights protestors against factory farms. Their outrage is legitimate, but the violent acts of *some* of them are not legitimate. So, Congress passed the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act

ccrjustice.org

This act was intended originally to prevent violent acts, but the language is too broad and it also unconstitutionally forbids undercover investigations (freedom of the press) and essentially anything that might cause a loss of profits. But if honestly reporting and honestly posting videos that are honestly disturbing hurts profits, this is honestly a First Amendment issue.

Sorry for digressing like that. Healthwise: avoid processed foods, as Naomi said, and it wouldn't necessarily hurt to cut back on meat. But by all means, avoid soy and stick with some organic stuff if it's in your price range.

I have strong leanings towards the animal rights movement in that I believe animals for consumption shouldn't be killed inhumanely or kept in squalid living conditions. Currently, I tentatively will say that I suspect that's exactly what happens, and I want that to change. I can't personally confirm it, though, and I don't trust greenisthenewred.com to give reliable news. Their bias is too strong. But if no one else reports on it, then there's no way to really know, is there?

In the US, the word "free range" has no meaning. It's just a label without any standards, so I don't think I can even trust that without specifically researching the company. If you want meat killed ethically, buying local seems the wisest choice. I'd love to see reform on this, though.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Note: my link contains no disturbing photos or videos. I wouldn't do that without warning!)

Mar 10th 2013 new

I went vegan for lent, and it does gradually get easier. I really, really, really miss cheese, though.

I couldn't do it forever, but it's not too bad, I guess.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: This is my problem too..They aren't just happy with their own diet being vegan, t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

This is my problem too..They aren't just happy with their own diet being vegan, they try to force feed it down everybody elses throats too.. There used to be a woman vegetarian on here and she would start threads and post videos of animals being slaughtered.. I refused to view them. Fine if you want to eat nothing but vegetables, but leave me and my T-bone's alone.

--hide--

Exactly! Its like vegans view us all as a bunch of uncouth, inrbed savages! I refuse to buy factory farmed meat, I buy organic produce. If I'm going to eat an animal I like to know it had a happy life. And I don't like my veges sprayed with chemicals. I grew up on a farm, I know how animals are butchered, and there's a right way and a wrong way. It all builds into the "stewarts of the Earth". God gave us lambchops, best we can do is make sure that lamb didn't suffer in some crate for its short life. With that said, I'm currently in a situation where I can afford to buy that kind of meat/produce. I don't like the "if you don't buy free range eggs you're the devil and making a chicken live like a Jew in Aushwitchz" type person.

Plus, really, think of all the little field mice who'll be dragged squeaking into the thressers at wheat harvest time?

There is realistically no way any human diet won't end up killing something. But whatever diet we choose, we dont' have to be forceful or snobby about it.

Mar 10th 2013 new

Hi all. I have lots I could say on this topic....but I will be brief. First..it would be great if people knew where their food came from. I grew up in the city and to me it came wrapped in plastic from the grocery. I've lived in the country and have a whole new understanding.

Second people could then shop accordingly. Factory farms have all but put most of the local dairy farmers out of business. People want "cheap". We get what we pay for.

Last, gluttony drives it all. Moderation (or for me with certain foods elimination) is key. Many animals are killed just to fill those huge plates in the restaurant. I've changed my whole life...kept 110# off over 6 years. Yes I still eat meat. But in moderation.

Have blessed day wave

Mar 10th 2013 new

Lisa, for another perspective, I highly recommend the book "Nourishing Traditions" ;)

Mar 10th 2013 new

I'm going to die anyway,......so,....why be miserable and die a vegan tongue Chef Chicken??? cookiemonster cookie Mmmm.... Donut.... tongue

Beef....it's what's for dinner! hyper www.youtube.com

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary that talks about (and provides scientific research findings) eating a plant-based and whole grain diet with no meat, eggs or milk. The doctors in the documentary said that eating this way heals all sorts of diseases and gives you more energy. It sounds very appealing, but I imagine planning vegan meals will be very difficult, especially in the beginning. Any vegans out there who can attest to the health beneifts of such a diet? Do you really feel better or is this just a fad?

(If I try this, it would have to be a modified vegan diet that allows fish because life without sushi is just not worth living.)

--hide--
I often make vegan recipes because I can't eat diary, and also because I keep a tight budget. There are some great recipes out there to try that are nutritious, flavorful, and good for the grocery bill. However, I don't think it's a good idea to cut dairy out a diet unless you have to - especially for women.

Posts 11 - 20 of 200