Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Yeah you have to feel sorry for our Hebrew and Muslim brothers, not beining able to ha...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Yeah you have to feel sorry for our Hebrew and Muslim brothers, not beining able to have a BLT or a sandwich of thick slices of fresh baked wholegrain bread with thick slabs of off-the-bone ham, with salad and sour cream and chive dressing and huge slices of tomato......... mmmmmmmm

--hide--
I brought turkey bacon and farm fresh eggs to have brunch w/family and was greeted with already prepared bacon. I must admit the "real" bacon tasted better.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I watched this last night. Interesting documentary. Juicing seems very wasteful though - y...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I watched this last night. Interesting documentary. Juicing seems very wasteful though - you end up throwing away a ton of pulp from so many fruits and veggies you use to make one glass of juice. I think Costco has Vitamix on sale this weekend - I plan to get it. I like the smoothies they sample - the entire fruit/vegetable gets used but is ground so fine that you don't notice the pulp. This is going to replace all the processed cereal and milk that constitues my son's breakfast.

--hide--

I get where you are going with the waste of pulp, but I have a friend who juices and he uses the pulp as compost for his garden. I like the idea of Vitamix and I need to work harder on eating more fruits and vegetables, especially at breakfast but I have come so accustomed to food on the go.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Hi Jessica, I spent a hunk on a juicer and all the fresh produce to go with it. . .it now...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Hi Jessica,

I spent a hunk on a juicer and all the fresh produce to go with it. . .it now sits on top of the refrigerator. . .I couldn't get past the taste and the texture of some of the vegetable juices. And I read through the books about how good it is for you etc. I was so excited because I do love vegetables and I really like fresh veggies or steamed. . .but this was not enjoyable lol.

--hide--

I remember watching the documentary and he commented that it took him at least a week to get used to the texture and the taste of the vegetables but there is that fear that if I buy a juicer and I just can't handle the vegetable juice that it too will just sit in a cupboard or someplace else.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: And he got his medica- sciencel degree/PhD from where exactly? I would suggest you get...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

And he got his medica- sciencel degree/PhD from where exactly? I would suggest you get better doctors, not blame the whole profession and go wandering through the daisies

--hide--

I know of others that don't go a traditional doctor and I am considering it; because they really don't cure anything and are only good at prescribing drugs.

If George Malkmus is still active over 100, still working out and preaching, I'm sure that many others will be converted into believing that his diet represents health.

I don't personally know anyone that was cured of cancer by chemo without changing their diet. There is a person that I know right now where I work who is in his 30's, married with children, who is undergoing cancer treatments with chemo. I don't expect him to live if he has faith in our medical community with PhD's ashamed

Mar 16th 2013 new

Greetings, Ronald.

I believe there is a time and place for most things. If I broke a leg, I would see a doctor. If I needed an appendix removed, I would want to be in a hospital.

However, when it comes to chronic conditions, my personal experience has been that the medicines carry some very weighty risks. For example, I took immunosuppressants for just over a year many many moons ago. I am smarter now and would not do that again for the condition that was being treated when diet alone achieves the same results for me, without the side effects and the risks associated with immunosuppressants.

Your point is well taken.

As Hippocrates stated in about 400 BC: Let food be thy medicine. How long will it take us as a society to learn this lesson??

Mar 16th 2013 new

Interestingly, I do not recall anyone bringing up the fact that here in the US over half of all antibiotics are used in livestock production. and animals are fed hormones in order for them to mature faster. Isn't anyone else concerned about this???

Do we really believe this is healthy for us?

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said: Interestingly, I do not recall anyone bringing up the fact that here in the US over half of a...
(Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said:

Interestingly, I do not recall anyone bringing up the fact that here in the US over half of all antibiotics are used in livestock production. and animals are fed hormones in order for them to mature faster. Isn't anyone else concerned about this???

Do we really believe this is healthy for us?

--hide--

Subscribe to the free mercola.com. He writes about this frequently. Also GMOs, astaxanthin, turmeric, K2, D3, healthy fats, ubquinol, and any other things.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: HI Lisa, I'm going to answer this question from what I know of diet througho...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

HI Lisa,

I'm going to answer this question from what I know of diet throughout time and our physiology and anatomy. We are omnivores. We have teeth for processing both meat and vegetable material. Our microbiomes are closer to carnivores than to herbivores on the whole. Our microbiomes are also amazing things that increase our ability to extract nutrients from our diets. For example, one of the things we have learned about the microbiome is that in those who carry more weight, they often have a greater number of bacteria whose function allows greater extraction of nutrients. This would have been wonderfully adaptive in times when food was scarce, sub-optimal or during feast and famine events. In our world, where food is available in great abundance so to speak, this becomes maladaptive leading to weight issues. Couple that with lots of processed and nutritionally devoid foods, it creates an issue. People who spend a long time eating a vegan diet often loose the ability to handle meat proteins and this can lead to health issues as well. Obtaining adequate nutrition froma vegan only meal can also be difficult, not impossible but difficult. I have over the years met a few students who were vegan, staunchly and they looked incredibly unhealthy. . .anemic, bleeding gums, poor hair, etc. They were failing to obtain all that they needed for their bodies. Not all vegans mind you but some, enough as a mother to be concerning.

Prior to hunting technologies, humans scavenged meat from the kills of other animals. Once hunting technology came along meat was obtainable, but with difficulty. Anyone who hunts knows that coming back everytime one goes out with something doesn't happen, some days nothing is bagged at all. Traditionally, young men and men in their prime hunted, everyone else gathered natural resources or were involved in small time horticulture, and hunting small game. This activity provides for the majority of the caloric intake of the group. Small game (meat) and gathered plant resources including nuts. Large game is generally shared throughout and is a minor contribution overall.

Those that hunted bison on the Plains opted for females and calves, which at first seems contrary to good maintenance of the herds, but, there is such a thing as protein toxicity -- too much lean meat causes health consequences. But, females and calves have a higher fat content, which is beneficial and add to that berries, wild vegetables etc provides a well balanced diet.

Once animal domestication occurred only about ten thousand years ago, meat became a far more reliable dietary element, and a broad, vegetable diet was replaced by a few domesticated varieties mostly grains. Many groups continued to supplement with gathered vegetables.

In the Americas we have what we call The Three sisters: corn, beans and cucurbits (squashes). Despite its popularity corn is not a good nutritional source unless it is combined with beans and squashes. All three planted together provide nutrients and protection for each other. Squash speads out along the ground protecting against soil erosion and moisture retention. Beans replace nitrogens in the soil and use the corn stalks to climb. The corn proveds some shade and an anchor.

Mutualistic relationships between hunters and farmers often develop in areas where humans have diverse environments, where hunters exchange meat for agricultural products.

Those who object to a meat based diet on the basis of cruelty may be disappointed in the future as some new research indicates plant likewise have some pretty intricate sensory systems and react to things that might "hurt" them. It will be interesting to see that research develop.

So in the long and short of that, we are omnivores by physiology, anatomy and practice. I think it is too early to suggest that strict vegan diets are truly so dramatic at "fixing" health problems especially those that are autoimmune related. These are too complex for a simplistic fix. And, autoimmune things often respond initially to something but the benefits are not always maintained. Having said that in our Western world and especially in the US we eat way too much, we are decidedly meat heavy and should be consuming far more fruits and vegetables, in fact these should be probably 70-90% of our diet, add to that our propensity to over clean and have highly processed convenience foods and we are creating our own issues. Not only that but instead of working to obtain our food through hunting, gathering and farming by hand, we try to pack our hard work into an hour at the gym. So I plan on keeping meat as part of my diet along with fruits and vegetables. I would however if I weren't the black death to plants love to grow my own vegetables like my dad did when we were kiddos.

--hide--

WOW Lauren!!!! Very interesting and thorough. I learnt much from that post. clap clap clap

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: Yes, it's also well known in the bible that men did not eat meat before the flood......
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

Yes, it's also well known in the bible that men did not eat meat before the flood....I think that a lot of Catholics though don't believe in the flood

--hide--

Hmmmmm? scratchchin Where exactly did you get that idea. Nothing that I have ever read in the bible suggests that. Please provide your sourceas I would like to read it for myself. It is amazing that this is well known and no one is teaching it in biblical studies. Looking forward to the text.

Mar 16th 2013 new

Genesis 1: 29

www.usccb.org

Posts 151 - 160 of 200