Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Hmmmmm? Where exactly did you get that idea. Nothing that I have ever read in the bible ...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Hmmmmm? Where exactly did you get that idea. Nothing that I have ever read in the bible suggests that. Please provide your sourceas I would like to read it for myself. It is amazing that this is well known and no one is teaching it in biblical studies. Looking forward to the text.

--hide--

In fact the bible directs the eating of the sacrificed animals by the priests. So any attempt to base an argument for being a vegan on the bible, fails and falls flat on its face as there is nothing there to support it.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said: Genesis 1: 29 www.usccb.org
(Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said:

Genesis 1: 29

www.usccb.org

--hide--

Read one more verse and it is clear that the meat of animals was also given.

It iis always important that we don't take individual passages from the Bible to prove anything. Doing that one could "prove" just about anything. The Bible must always be read in context. The creation story has to be taken as a whole.Otherwise one can easily fall into the trap that many literalists fall into insisting that the earth is only 6,000 years old when clear physical evidence exits that, in fact, it is 13 billion year or so old.

If you want to be a vegan, fine, just be sure you find a way to eat a balanced diet that contains all things necessary to maintain good health.

Mar 16th 2013 new
After Mass last week a woman I didn't know said she'd seen me several times in a local vegetarian restaurant. I told her I'd never seen herbivore.
Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Brad-937504 said: After Mass last week a woman I didn't know said she'd seen me several times in a local vegetarian...
(Quote) Brad-937504 said: After Mass last week a woman I didn't know said she'd seen me several times in a local vegetarian restaurant. I told her I'd never seen herbivore.
--hide--

HI Brad! I liked that one!!!

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said: Genesis 1: 29 www.usccb.org.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Quote:
Elizabeth-730125 said:

Genesis 1: 29

www.usccb.org

Read one more verse and it is clear that the meat of animals was also given.

It iis always important that we don't take individual passages from the Bible to prove anything.

--hide--

Paul, I am a bit confused by your reference, so let us be clear. The Bible verse I mentioned was Genesis 1: 29:

"God also said: See, I give you every seed-bearing plant on all the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food;"

You state that I should read the next verse, which would be Genesis 1:30:

"and to all the wild animals, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the earth, I give all the green plants for food. And so it happened."

Verse 30 tells us what the other animals were to eat (green plants, by the way).

Perhaps you meant to refer to verse 28 in which man is given dominion over all the animals. Perhaps you want to interpret dominion as "to eat them for food" but if that was God's intent, why not just say so explicitly in verse 29. Thus, I conclude that it is in YOUR post that you are trying to take the Bible verse out of context!!!

And just to remind everyone, this is in Genesis, before Adam and Eve sinned and were driven from the Garden of Eden.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: In fact the bible directs the eating of the sacrificed animals by the priests. So any att...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

In fact the bible directs the eating of the sacrificed animals by the priests. So any attempt to base an argument for being a vegan on the bible, fails and falls flat on its face as there is nothing there to support it.

--hide--

Paul, are you priest, thus justifying your consumption of meat by that verse?

Mar 16th 2013 new

On a lighter note, here is a vegan recipe for green tea cupcakes - just in time for St. Patrick's Day...

www.theppk.com

I took these into work last year and they were a hit!!

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said: Paul, I am a bit confused by your reference, so let us be clear. The Bible verse...

Paul, I am a bit confused by your reference, so let us be clear. The Bible verse I mentioned was Genesis 1: 29:

"God also said: See, I give you every seed-bearing plant on all the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food;"

"and to all the wild animals, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the earth, I give all the green plants for food. And so it happened."

Verse 30 tells us what the other animals were to eat (green plants, by the way).

Perhaps you meant to refer to verse 28 in which man is given dominion over all the animals. Perhaps you want to interpret dominion as "to eat them for food" but if that was God's intent, why not just say so explicitly in verse 29. Thus, I conclude that it is in YOUR post that you are trying to take the Bible verse out of context!!!

And just to remind everyone, this is in Genesis, before Adam and Eve sinned and were driven from the Garden of Eden.

--hide--

Very good Elizabeth, you explained that very well.

Rev. George Malkmus also explains that man wasn't permited to eat meat until Genesis 9:1-5, after the flood.

Of course, it is possible that men ate meat before the flood; men were very evil at that time and that is why God destroyed them...

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:Besides, high protein, meat I mean, is fantastic for wound healing.
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:Besides, high protein, meat I mean, is fantastic for wound healing.

--hide--

Cheese and nuts seem to work very well healing wounds.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-730125 said: Paul, I am a bit confused by your reference, so let us be clear. The Bible verse...

--hide--

I am not found of nit-picking the Bible word by word; the practice seems to land the Protestants into no end of trouble.

Exactly what Adam and Eve ate in the Garden of Eden is really not terribly relevant to much of anything with a single exception; they ate the one fruit which they had explicitly been forbidden to eat. I will note in passing that it was a forbidden fruit, not a forbidden steak. (I hardly think the fact it was a fruit is a decisive, or even all that important point. I just find it amusing in the context of the discussion.)

From the context of the Bible, including the Book of Genesis, it is abundently clear that there is nothing "unnatural" or unethical about human consumption of meat.

But if we were to accept your argument that the earliest lines of Genesis made everything a herbivore, you would have to come to the conclusion that all of the carnivores and omnivores either were not present at Creation or they radically changed their diet at some point.

Nobody can seriously argue that sharks or wolves or falcons etc. do not naturally consume meat. If you choose to believe that

Verse 30 tells us what the other animals were to eat (green plants, by the way)."

means that before the fall of man they were muching on veggies, you need to come up with some reason why that is not true today.

Posts 161 - 170 of 200