Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary that talks about (and provides scientific research findings) eating a plant-based and whole grain diet with no meat, eggs or milk. The doctors in the documentary said that eating this way heals all sorts of diseases and gives you more energy. It sounds very appealing, but I imagine planning vegan meals will be very difficult, especially in the beginning. Any vegans out there who can attest to the health beneifts of such a diet? Do you really feel better or is this just a fad?

(If I try this, it would have to be a modified vegan diet that allows fish because life without sushi is just not worth living.)

--hide--

Nonsense conclusion that do not apply to everyone and probably not to a majority of the population.

Four years ago I spent 4 days at a Trappist Monastery as a retreat. We were fed a strict vagan diet. The food went through me like an express train and I spent as many hours in the bathroom as I did praying.

A vegan diet would kill my daughter.

As with everything in life, moderation is the key to healthy eating. You don't eat a one pund steak 3 times a day nor salads with nuts just as often. It is possible to eat a balanced diet with only vegetables and grains, but most people do not have the knowledge nor the interest to do so successfully. And just as obviously not everyone would survive on it even if they were able to master the regimen.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: When my grandmother was in her late 80's her cholesterol and triglycerides were found...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

When my grandmother was in her late 80's her cholesterol and triglycerides were found to be really high.. The doctor wanted to put her on a low cholesterol diet.. My mother had been on one for several years and hated it. She said 'No WAY am I going to put my mother through it.." Grandma died when she was 92, and she spent her last years eating ice cream every day, because that's what she wanted.

--hide--

Everyone in my family had high Cholesterol, my mother well into the 300s.

My Dad died at 86 my mother at 97.

When my Dr. first put me on cholesterol drugs, I told her I would do so because she recommended it but pointed out that my mother with extremely high cholesterol lived to 97. She replied, "We don't worry about high cholesterol in 97 year olds." At that we both had a hearty laugh.

Mar 11th 2013 new

It looks like the idea that humans are omnivores is questionable and many experts believe that humans are really herbivores.

www.powered-by-produce.com

We don’t have the sharp teeth or sharp claws to be killing and eating a live animal like a bear or a rat.

Most humans I don’t think would even eat a bowl of hamburger not cooked; especially if it was in a 98 deg room for eight hours and smelled like crap. Meat in your digestive system takes about 24 hours to digest; uncooked meat in your stomach at 98 deg for a few hours would make a lot of people sick.

Eating cooked meat or finely prepared dead meat (which no true omnivore eats) does not make you an omnivore. I think humans are the only ones that eat meat that is dead and usually cooked.

Also there is more protein in 100 calories of many leafy vegetables than there is in beef. Cows and apes have more muscle than humans and they only eat vegetation; but a lot of it. When we eat beef it seems like we are eating second class vegetation since the cattle got the most beneficial part of the food.

www.drfuhrman.com

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: It looks like the idea that humans are omnivores is questionable and many experts believe that h...
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

It looks like the idea that humans are omnivores is questionable and many experts believe that humans are really herbivores.

www.powered-by-produce.com

We don’t have the sharp teeth or sharp claws to be killing and eating a live animal like a bear or a rat.

Most humans I don’t think would even eat a bowl of hamburger not cooked; especially if it was in a 98 deg room for eight hours and smelled like crap. Meat in your digestive system takes about 24 hours to digest; uncooked meat in your stomach at 98 deg for a few hours would make a lot of people sick.

Eating cooked meat or finely prepared dead meat (which no true omnivore eats) does not make you an omnivore. I think humans are the only ones that eat meat that is dead and usually cooked.

Also there is more protein in 100 calories of many leafy vegetables than there is in beef. Cows and apes have more muscle than humans and they only eat vegetation; but a lot of it. When we eat beef it seems like we are eating second class vegetation since the cattle got the most beneficial part of the food.

www.drfuhrman.com

--hide--

The only experts who believe that are pushing an agenda not scientific facts.

But there are people who eat raw meat. Steak Tartar comes to mind, as well as uncooked hamburger. I agree that in most cases people are not eating meat that has been left lying around in 98 degree heat. Unless someone ate a very large quantity of raw meat at one time, the body's heat does not have the same effect as the similar temperature would outside the body since digestive enzymes go to work immediately, even if it takes 24 hours to completely digest and absorb the food value from meat.

Maybe I am unusual, but in my case it does not take 24 hours to digest meat.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm a big carnivore. But I watched "Forks over Knives" the other day - a documentary that talks about (and provides scientific research findings) eating a plant-based and whole grain diet with no meat, eggs or milk. The doctors in the documentary said that eating this way heals all sorts of diseases and gives you more energy. It sounds very appealing, but I imagine planning vegan meals will be very difficult, especially in the beginning. Any vegans out there who can attest to the health beneifts of such a diet? Do you really feel better or is this just a fad?

(If I try this, it would have to be a modified vegan diet that allows fish because life without sushi is just not worth living.)

--hide--

My question on abstaining from meat is where one could get creatine for strength (specfically, muscle repair). I think there's no question that most of us would drop weight almost immediately if we completely gave up meat; this may or may not be a good thing.

I know a vegetarian who had a blood test taken as part of a military entrance physical and was held up because of the results. A doctor who he later consulted (but apparently didn't know beforehand) looked at the blood test results and told him immediately that he had failed the blood test because he didn't eat meat.

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The only experts who believe that are pushing an agenda not scientific facts. But ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The only experts who believe that are pushing an agenda not scientific facts.

But there are people who eat raw meat. Steak Tartar comes to mind, as well as uncooked hamburger. I agree that in most cases people are not eating meat that has been left lying around in 98 degree heat. Unless someone ate a very large quantity of raw meat at one time, the body's heat does not have the same effect as the similar temperature would outside the body since digestive enzymes go to work immediately, even if it takes 24 hours to completely digest and absorb the food value from meat.

Maybe I am unusual, but in my case it does not take 24 hours to digest meat.

--hide--

I don't see the facts that humans are omnivores, that's the point. If we were omnivores everyone would not have a problem in eating raw hamburger and everyone would not have an issue say killing a small live animal like a mouse with our teeth; I'm not sure that human teeth could even handle it...I'm being objective and I'm not pushing an agenda since I eat dead prepared meat like most people.

I know that it's hard to make changes in our ways of thinking since it defines who we are scratchchin

Mar 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm doing this diet change not for myself but for my son wh...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm doing this diet change not for myself but for my son who already needs a heart-healthy diet at his age. I will have to do some research on soy products - I didn't realize they were not healthy. Maybe just cutting meat down significantly and eliminating red meat (or like one of you said, the four-legged animals) is more realistic. Giving up dairy would certainly be harder than giving up meat. I tried almond milk once, and it was naaasty. I couldn't stomach it.

I like the idea of eating like Asians eat - the research presented in Forks over Knives was primarily done with asian populations. They were saying that the amount of meat an American eats at one meal would feed the entire family in an Asian culture because they use meat more for taste than for substance.

--hide--

But Asians are generally much smaller people than Americans. I know this, because I'm 5'7" and I was taller than everyone I came across during a port visit to Thailand many years ago.

The Japanese grew remarkably after the Second World War, simply because of the influx of American food products (and yes, their heart problems increased as well).

You can tell me it's none of my business, but you might want to speak to a doctor before putting together a diet for your son, for no other reason that he gets what he needs to grow.

Mar 11th 2013 new

I have subtanrially reduced the amount of processed food I eat in the past year. My chronic pain had been at a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 pretty consistently for years; it is now down to a 1 or .5. Life is better.

I'm also eating less meat these days, which has whappened gradually and naturally; more veggies and more fruits. I'm trying to crowd out the "bad" foods with the "good" foods and it's gradually working.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Spoiler alert: This post talks abt cows and methane gas. Did you know that cows have 4 stomachs? A grass-fed cow will use all 4 stomachs and produce less methane gas than a cow eating what is considered standard fare today -- corn. Cause of global warming: methane gas.

Mar 11th 2013 new

Spoiler alert: This post talks abt cows and methane gas. Did you know that cows have 4 stomachs? A grass-fed cow will use all 4 stomachs and produce less methane gas than a cow eating what is considered standard fare today -- corn. Cause of global warming: methane gas.

Posts 41 - 50 of 200