Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Ruthenian Rite

03/10/2013 new

I attend the Missal of 1962 and Divine Liturgy of the Byzantine Ruthenian Rite. As a Latin Catholic, I know of the Roman Missal best. Quick questions however;

1) What are the official rules of fasting in the East?
2) Are there any "official" liturgy colors in the East? Everytime I've attended Mass in the Ruthenian there have been white vestments during times where in the west there are violet vestments (e.g. the season of septuagesima and Lent in the west vs. Meatfare Sunday, Cheesefare Sunday and Great Lent).

I know I'm comparing east and west and they have different traditions but I'm just saying. I love traditional liturgies and I think it would be great if we call could appreciate and learn from each others liturgies. I love to compare and contrast. E.g. the confiteor before Communion in the west is very nice as is the prayers in the East which is quite long but mentions "I shall not tell your enemies the secret, nor kiss you with Judas' kiss."

03/10/2013 new
(Quote) Edward-926612 said: I attend the Missal of 1962 and Divine Liturgy of the Byzantine Ruthenian Rite. As a Latin Catholic, I know of...
(Quote) Edward-926612 said:

I attend the Missal of 1962 and Divine Liturgy of the Byzantine Ruthenian Rite. As a Latin Catholic, I know of the Roman Missal best. Quick questions however;

1) What are the official rules of fasting in the East?
2) Are there any "official" liturgy colors in the East? Everytime I've attended Mass in the Ruthenian there have been white vestments during times where in the west there are violet vestments (e.g. the season of septuagesima and Lent in the west vs. Meatfare Sunday, Cheesefare Sunday and Great Lent).

I know I'm comparing east and west and they have different traditions but I'm just saying. I love traditional liturgies and I think it would be great if we call could appreciate and learn from each others liturgies. I love to compare and contrast. E.g. the confiteor before Communion in the west is very nice as is the prayers in the East which is quite long but mentions "I shall not tell your enemies the secret, nor kiss you with Judas' kiss."

--hide--

The Byzantine rite has several variants of which the Ruthenians are one. Each usage or rescension has minor variants such different melodies that the liturgies are sung to.

In the Catholic communion you have the Melkites, Ukrainians, Romanians, Italo-Greeks, Russians, Greeks, Bulgarians, etc.who follow the same basic rites with minor variations.

The Roman rite had similar variants prior to Vatican II and the Council of Trent that had different propers, feast days, chant melodies, etc. (Carmelite, Benedictine, Dominican, Sarum, etc.)

To answer your questions:

1) What are the official rules of fasting in the East? There are customary rules that require strict fasting from meat, eggs, dairy, fish,wine and olive oil during fasting periods.

These include Great Lent, St. Philip's Fast (Advent), the Apostle's Fast (Lasts from the Sunday of Pentecost until the Feasts of Sts. Peter and Paul), and the Dormition Fast that lasts from August 1 until the Feast of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (Assumption).

We also are obliged to abstain on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year.

In practice most parishes and eparchies have become lax under Roman Catholic influence.

2)Are there any "official" liturgy colors in the East? Everytime I've attended Mass in the Ruthenian there have been white vestments during times where in the west there are violet vestments (e.g. the season of septuagesima and Lent in the west vs. Meatfare Sunday, Cheesefare Sunday and Great Lent).

No. We don't have set liturgical colors in the Byzantine rite.

The Byzantine rite has two main Eucharistic liturgies. The Liturgies of St.John Chrysostom and St. Basil. The latter is said on the Sundays of Lent and on Christmas Eve. During Lent we use the Presanctified Liturgy of St. Gregory the Pope of Rome, which is vespers with a communion service attached.

Here's a basic explanation of the Byzantine liturgical tradition from an Eastern Orthodox site considering we use the same liturgical tradition they use.

www.najim.net
03/10/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: The Byzantine rite has several variants of which the Ruthenians are one. Each usage or rescension...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

The Byzantine rite has several variants of which the Ruthenians are one. Each usage or rescension has minor variants such different melodies that the liturgies are sung to.

In the Catholic communion you have the Melkites, Ukrainians, Romanians, Italo-Greeks, Russians, Greeks, Bulgarians, etc.who follow the same basic rites with minor variations.

The Roman rite had similar variants prior to Vatican II and the Council of Trent that had different propers, feast days, chant melodies, etc. (Carmelite, Benedictine, Dominican, Sarum, etc.)

To answer your questions:

1) What are the official rules of fasting in the East? There are customary rules that require strict fasting from meat, eggs, dairy, fish,wine and olive oil during fasting periods.

These include Great Lent, St. Philip's Fast (Advent), the Apostle's Fast (Lasts from the Sunday of Pentecost until the Feasts of Sts. Peter and Paul), and the Dormition Fast that lasts from August 1 until the Feast of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (Assumption).

We also are obliged to abstain on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year.

In practice most parishes and eparchies have become lax under Roman Catholic influence.

2)Are there any "official" liturgy colors in the East? Everytime I've attended Mass in the Ruthenian there have been white vestments during times where in the west there are violet vestments (e.g. the season of septuagesima and Lent in the west vs. Meatfare Sunday, Cheesefare Sunday and Great Lent).

No. We don't have set liturgical colors in the Byzantine rite.

The Byzantine rite has two main Eucharistic liturgies. The Liturgies of St.John Chrysostom and St. Basil. The latter is said on the Sundays of Lent and on Christmas Eve. During Lent we use the Presanctified Liturgy of St. Gregory the Pope of Rome, which is vespers with a communion service attached.

Here's a basic explanation of the Byzantine liturgical tradition from an Eastern Orthodox site considering we use the same liturgical tradition they use.

www.najim.net
--hide--

This is a good explaination, but with one slight correction.

The Liturgy of St. Basil is said on the Feast of Theophany.

03/10/2013 new

Thanks for the responses. To clerify, as far as fasting goes. I meant for before Communion. I take it as an hour? I say this because the church I went to has salad and soup on Fridays at 6 and then Mass of the Pre Sanctified at 7.

I will have to read that PDF one day. It's long but looks to explain everything in detail.

Posts 1 - 4 of 4