Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Enlighten me, please! I've read on here and elsewhere how cold, cruel, impolite - you pick the adjective - it is to "dump" your beloved on the phone. Well, I guess maybe if you are engaged, I can see that. But, what about just dating? and LDRs? Why is it so awful to do it over the phone? or in an email? or, dare I say it? a text?

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Enlighten me, please! I've read on here and elsewhere how cold, cruel, impolite - you pick the...
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said:

Enlighten me, please! I've read on here and elsewhere how cold, cruel, impolite - you pick the adjective - it is to "dump" your beloved on the phone. Well, I guess maybe if you are engaged, I can see that. But, what about just dating? and LDRs? Why is it so awful to do it over the phone? or in an email? or, dare I say it? a text?

--hide--

I can say on the phone depending the distant would be something to do out of necessity. Dating someone for a period of time and being "dumped" over the phone and worse by email and the absolutely worst text shows that there was no sensitivity or care to the other person's feeling and engagng in a conversation as to why the relationship is over and bringing closure. You have brought out a good point why people are being more distant and not entering into the feelings of another by the new generation (I don't mean any specific age but rather the time we are in now) as to talking and caring of another's feelings and not what is quick and easy for the person that is doing "dumping."

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Enlighten me, please! I've read on here and elsewhere how cold, cruel, impolite - you pick the...

--hide--

Maybe ending a relationship by phone or e-mail is okay if it's a LDR or if two people have never met. I guess it depends on how both parties generally communicated with one another. Ending a relationship by text just seems totally inappropriate. I can't imagine doing that to someone or being the recipient of that. As with everything in life, "do unto others. . ."

Mar 10th 2013 new

You should end a relationship by the highest level of contact you have previously had--if you have never talked, by email or text is fine I guess. If you have talked on the phone it should be on the phone, if you have been together in person, it should be in person.

Mar 10th 2013 new

I agree with Pat. If you have met in person, you should end it in person. Anything less, is disrespectful. Of course, often people don't care what impression they give of themselves to someone they no longer want to date. Nevertheless, that person will be left with a bad impression and you never who they know they they might have been able to hook you up with, or who in reality you have let go of. It could be someone who is way above your league and they never let on, but now you look like a fool in their eyes, someone cheap... laughing

Mar 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-572677 said: Enlighten me, please! I've read on here and elsewhere how cold, cruel, impolite - you pick the adjective - i...

--hide--

We are adults?? I think it is better if you have been dating awhile to be honest with the other person and let them know up front. Of course the person being dumped will get the point either way but I suspect if you know you are about to break up with someone and you can't be honest when you are with them in person they are better off without you.....
Mar 10th 2013 new

I just think that you should treat someone the way you would like to be treated. Ask yourself would I like it if so and so dumped me by texting me, phoning me, e-mailing me or meeting me in person? This is assuming that you have texted, e-mailed, talked on the phone or met the person you are going to dump. If you have only talked on the phone well then this is probably the way you will end the relationship. What is the kindest way to do it ?? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and I don't think you can go wrong. At least that is the way I think.

Mar 10th 2013 new

I don't care how it's ended. As long as there is actually a "Goodbye" rather than the other party simply failing to respond ever again....

Mar 10th 2013 new

Marge that is for sure. Just cutting off communication is not the way to do it. It is not kind.

Mar 10th 2013 new

I've noticed no guys respond. I personally would want it done to me over the phone or in person but not at a public place, I almost prefer the phone call because it is more private. I think some people feel that if it's done in person it achieves some sort of special respect. I don't disagree but for me personally - tell me straight up on the phone.

--hide--

Posts 1 - 10 of 36