Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Well, it's interesting you mention the Blue Lodge since Albert Pike, the Masonic Gr...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Well, it's interesting you mention the Blue Lodge since Albert Pike, the Masonic Grand master who Stephen Hand labels "the old goose," termed them as "porticos (porches) of religion" in his book "Dogma & Morals of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry." In other words, it's somewhat nebulous where the Freemasonry the lodge ends and the religion begins.

You're also quite correct that secret societies are no longer needed, since Freemasonry and the occult, particularly the New Age, have been midwifed into mainstream culture through figures like Oprah Winfrey.

--hide--

Pike was a very strange man. I haven't read his book Morals and Dogma but maybe will at some point. Freemasonry is really a secret society within a secret society...or it was, as secret societies aren't even needed anymore. I believe Pike himself mentions that in Morals and Dogma. Ahh, the blue lodges. I've known some very good guys who are Masons. Hard to believe that at the top the rites, at least according to Pike, involved sodomy.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Pike was a very strange man. I haven't read his book Morals and Dogma but maybe wi...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Pike was a very strange man. I haven't read his book Morals and Dogma but maybe will at some point. Freemasonry is really a secret society within a secret society...or it was, as secret societies aren't even needed anymore. I believe Pike himself mentions that in Morals and Dogma. Ahh, the blue lodges. I've known some very good guys who are Masons. Hard to believe that at the top the rites, at least according to Pike, involved sodomy.

--hide--

Many Masonic orders are known for their philanthropy, especially the Shriners. That doesn't change the fact that Freemasonry is very much against the Christian faith at core since it it worships a god whose character is known only to inner adepts, which is the very core of the perrenial heresy of gnosticism.

Mar 14th 2013 new

I thought the Shriners were good with all the fundraising events they put on.

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Many Masonic orders are known for their philanthropy, especially the Shriners. That doe...

Many Masonic orders are known for their philanthropy, especially the Shriners. That doesn't change the fact that Freemasonry is very much against the Christian faith at core since it it worships a god whose character is known only to inner adepts, which is the very core of the perrenial heresy of gnosticism.

--hide--

They're like the Boy Scouts. Lord Baden Powell was rumored to be a pederast.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: I thought the Shriners were good with all the fundraising events they put on.
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

I thought the Shriners were good with all the fundraising events they put on.

--hide--

In terms of the natural order, those actions, especially when they aid the innocent, are commendable.

You can do commendable things and still be gravely sinful. The grave sin committed by Shriners is adherance to an order of worship not pleasing to God.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: They're like the Boy Scouts. Lord Baden Powell was rumored to be a pederast. <...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

They're like the Boy Scouts. Lord Baden Powell was rumored to be a pederast.

--hide--

The Boy Scouts are not a religious organization per se, and do not engage in secret rituals unlike Freemasonry.

Any rumors about Powell are slanders.

en.wikipedia.org

That said, the founder of the BSA definitely was involved in Freemasonic sects, including the Shriners and the Odd Fellows. BTW, there is a park in Plum Borough, a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA, in Boyce's name; that's where he was born.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: The Boy Scouts are not a religious organization per se, and do not engage in secret rituals unli...

The Boy Scouts are not a religious organization per se, and do not engage in secret rituals unlike Freemasonry.

--hide--

The Order of the Arrow does involve initiation ceremonies "secret" rituals. Lacking anydetai led knowledge of Freemasonry, I don'tk now how similar they may be.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: The Boy Scouts are not a religious organization per se, and do not engage in secret rit...

Any rumors about Powell are slanders.

en.wikipedia.org

That said, the founder of the BSA definitely was involved in Freemasonic sects, including the Shriners and the Odd Fellows. BTW, there is a park in Plum Borough, a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA, in Boyce's name; that's where he was born.

--hide--

Freemasonic influences are in many organizations, including the Boy Scouts. What am I allowed to say of the Knights of Columbus initiation ceremonies? At any rate, I thought they had Masonic similarities. What about the ultra-elitist Knights of Malta?

Of course one of the most sinister quasi-Masonic secret socities is Skull and Bones, which was founded during the anti-Masonic period in US history.

Mar 16th 2013 new

Thank you Steven and Jerry for your comments. I did a little bit more searching on the Internet about the Shriners being Masons, because I wanted to read it for myself. Now I know what Steven wrote is true.

Here is the first article I read.

The Shriners are actually rarely called by their full name, which is the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (A.A.O.N.M.S.). This attendant body to Free masonry was established in 1870 and is quite popular in the United States. The Shriners are perhaps most known among Masons and the general public for the bright fezzes that they wear and for their charity work. Shriners hospitals for children are known throughout North America.

The Shriners are not connected with Islam in any way and are not even a religious group. Today’s Shriners are known for their participation in local parades, where they often create elaborate units out of themed miniature cards. Some Shriner parade units also include bands dressed in exaggerated Middle Eastern dress.

Although traditionally Shriners had to have completed the Scottish Rite or York Rite degrees of Masonry to be eligible for membership in the Shriners, after 2000 any Master Mason can join the Shriners.

The Shriners, like most Masons, believe in community good works. The Shriners are best known for the Shriners Hospitals for Children, which is a network of twenty-two hospitals across North America. These hospitals are the major contribution that Shriners make to the community. Originally, the hospitals were created to help treat children with polio. However, as better treatment made that disease less common, the hospitals began treating an array of childhood illnesses. Today, the Shriners Hospitals for Children offer all forms of pediatric treatment, although they specialize in burns and orthopedic treatments. Treatment at the Shriners Hospitals for Children is always completely free of charge and any family can take their children for treatment to the Shriners Hospitals for Children. Parents do not need to be Masons or Shriners to have their children admitted. However, patients need to be under eighteen years of age and must be deemed to be treatable to be admitted to the Shriners Hospitals for Children.

Mar 16th 2013 new

Here is the second article I read.

All Shriners are Masons, but not all Masons are Shriners.

Shriners International is a spin-off from Freemasonry, the oldest, largest and most widely known fraternity in the world. Freemasonry dates back hundreds of years to when stonemasons and other craftsmen gathered after work in shelter houses, or lodges. Over time, the members organized into Masonic guilds and the tools of their trade – the square and compass – became the symbol of their brotherhood.

Over time, Masonry evolved into an organization that began to accept members who were not craftsmen. Today, Masonry is built upon a foundation of improving character and strengthening communities, though the square and compass are still the symbols of the fraternal brotherhood.

When Shriners International was first founded in 1872, the organization built on the principles that guided Freemasonry, while adding an element of fun and, ultimately, philanthropy, that set Shriners International apart. The two organizations are also structured similarly:

Shriners have temples; Masons have a Blue Lodge or Craft Lodge Members of the Masonic lodges are required to learn about their fraternity and earn a series of Masonic degrees. When a member has completed the third and final degree he becomes a Master Mason and is then eligible to become a Shriner. Additional courses of Masonic study are available – these are known as the Scottish Rite and the York Rite.
Posts 21 - 30 of 30