Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Apr 30th 2013 new

I just saw that Focus on the Family is featuring a book by Dannah Gresh, Get Lost; Your Guide to Finding True Love. You may get it with a gift of any amount. You can also listen to Dannah cite sections of the book on line at Focus on the Family's website.

Even though this organization is not Catholic, it is strongly Christian. I have been helped by their resources on many topics for many, many years.

May 8th 2013 new

The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace and He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not by Trish Ryan, both Christian authors

May 9th 2013 new

I haven't read that book but will get to it soon. I'm listening to an audio book of his (Gary Chapman)--

Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married. The back cover says: Among the twelve things you should know:

that being in love is not enough to make a successful marriage that romantic love has two stages (and how to make the transition) that mutual sexual fulfillment is not automatic that personality profoundly affects behaviour.

I guess for a Never-Married like me, I find the topics interesting. Because some of the things that he talks about are topics that I just take for granted and that I'll learn throughout the marriage.

May 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-96924 said: I haven't read that book but will get to it soon. I'm listening to an audio book of his ...
(Quote) Jessica-96924 said:

I haven't read that book but will get to it soon. I'm listening to an audio book of his (Gary Chapman)--

Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married. The back cover says: Among the twelve things you should know:

that being in love is not enough to make a successful marriage that romantic love has two stages (and how to make the transition) that mutual sexual fulfillment is not automatic that personality profoundly affects behaviour.

I guess for a Never-Married like me, I find the topics interesting. Because some of the things that he talks about are topics that I just take for granted and that I'll learn throughout the marriage.

--hide--

Hey! I put the 3rd paragraph in bullet form! What happened? It looks like a long run-on sentence. Grammar checkers, it's not my fault.

May 14th 2013 new

The absolute best book to read in regards to marriage: Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy by Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas is a Christian author, though not Catholic. He amazes me because he quotes the saints (esp. St. Francis de Sales and St. Thomas Aquinas) more than any CATHOLIC author I have read (on marriage). I was fortunate to hear him speak and spoke with him afterwards about his background.

I have read LOTS of books on marriage (Catholic, Christian, secular) and this one is by far the best. In fact I am selling ALL of my books on half.com but am keeping this book, a copy of Imitation of Christ, My Utmost for His Highest, and my bible. Everything else that doesn't sell is going to the second hand store or St. Vincent de Paul (over 500 books!!)

Gary Chapman's book on "love languages" is good but WAY too basic; definitely a "beginner" book. In order for marriage to succeed you will need more than just a "beginners course"..

Oct 12th 2013 new
Excellent book I've used for adult RCIA called "the Good News about Sex and Marriage" by Christopher West. An easy Q&A format and a must read for all Catholics (IMO ) esp those preparing for marriage.

Enjoy!
Posts 11 - 16 of 16