Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 14th 2013 new

Francis has a lot of "firsts" and "first since..."

-- First pope from the Western Hemisphere

-- First pope born outside of what was once the Roman Empire

-- First non-European pope since Gregory III (years 731-741), who was from Syria

-- First Jesuit pope

-- First pope who is a consecrated religious since Gregory XVI (years 1831-1846)

-- First pope to take an unused name since Lando (years 913-914), not counting new names composed of papal names already used (e.g. John Paul)

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: "The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: "The new pope took the name Francis in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because he is a lover of the poor, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Tom Rosica told CNN.

Also, the new pope should be known as Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I, Rosica said."
--hide--

Fr. Pacwa on EWTN opined that he probably chose after both St. Francis of Assisi and St. Francis Xavier.

He explains that St. Ignatius Loyola had a high regard for Francis of Assisi and recommended that his Jesuits emulate him. Francis Xavier is, of course, a big Jesuit saint, Ignatius' being the first man to join Loyola. He was a great missionary that reportedly single handedly converted and baptized more people than any other person in history, mainly in India but also elsewhere in the Far East.

I am sure we will find out soon enough why he chose the name from the man himself.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: Some also say he took the name to honor St. Francis Xavier, a founder of the Jes...
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:

Some also say he took the name to honor St. Francis Xavier, a founder of the Jesuit order who was canonized March 12, 1622. The Conclave began March 12.

--hide--

That makes more sense than St. Francis of Assisi, but you know the press they run away with the first thing that pops into their heads:) It will be interesting if he addresses this. On the conservative radio station I listen to they also said it could be St. Francis Xavier. Either way, he is named after two amazing saints!

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Florian-626971 said: Francis has a lot of "firsts" and "first since..." -- First pope fro...
(Quote) Florian-626971 said:

Francis has a lot of "firsts" and "first since..."

-- First pope from the Western Hemisphere

-- First pope born outside of what was once the Roman Empire

-- First non-European pope since Gregory III (years 731-741), who was from Syria

-- First Jesuit pope

-- First pope who is a consecrated religious since Gregory XVI (years 1831-1846)

-- First pope to take an unused name since Lando (years 913-914), not counting new names composed of papal names already used (e.g. John Paul)

--hide--

Correction: Francis is the first pope not born in or AROUND the former Roman Empire (e.g. JPII was from Poland, which was never part of the Roman Empire)

Mar 14th 2013 new

Apparently it is after St Francis of Assisi and he would have been given the full name of Francis Xavier if he had chosen that. I am so happy that he was chosen.

Mar 14th 2013 new
(Quote) Paul-866591 said: My only concern is his age. At 76 it could be a signal by the Cardinals that they believe he is ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

My only concern is his age. At 76 it could be a signal by the Cardinals that they believe he is going to be just an interim Pope. Since he had supposedly been the4\ second largest vote getter when BXVI was elected. Sort of reminds me of when the Republicans nominated Bod Dole as their candidate for President. A choice that made no sense, but was given to him as a reward for his long and faithful service to the Party.

--hide--

interesting comparison.......but maybe this pope will hang in there for 10yrs
Mar 14th 2013 new

Today have been a very blessed day! Our new pope was chosen. God bless ou r new Pope Frances
clap Praying theheart pope theheart Praying clap

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Lea-938919 said: Today have been a very blessed day! Our new pope was chosen. God bless ou r new Pope Frances
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

Today have been a very blessed day! Our new pope was chosen. God bless ou r new Pope Frances

--hide--

Correction for typo error... not Frances but Pope Francis pope pope pope Praying Praying Praying

Mar 14th 2013 new

I am so pleased that his background of living very humbly and that the Jesuits are very evangelist in nature. We need to bring non-practicing Catholics back in to the faith and we desperately need to bring new people in from all over the world. He may also attempt to bring more priests in to the faith. Plus-es all around.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Ellen-813688 said: This may provide some clarity: www.cbc.ca.
(Quote) Ellen-813688 said:

This may provide some clarity: www.cbc.ca

--hide--

St. Francis Xavier was Spanish and St. Francis of Assisi was Italian. Our new pope is Italian raised in a Latin country...Francis is a perfect name for him:) He has so many wonderful qualities to offer Christ's church.
The Holy Spirit put all the pieces together as usual Dove

Posts 41 - 50 of 193