Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 17th 2013 new

Yes I do, and I don't feel weird doing it.

I think it is a powerful witness in our secular world.

Apr 17th 2013 new
Yes, I am quiet about it unless other Catholics are with me and then we are quiet, together. Waitresses, etc. have actually made positive comments. Sometimes it is hard for me, depending on the place and situation.
Apr 18th 2013 new

I do

Apr 18th 2013 new

Yes, I do. Praying

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Do you feel odd doing it?How do your companions react?
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Do you feel odd doing it?
How do your companions react?

--hide--

Hi Marge et alia,

Hi, I'm James. I usually crack heads in STM, but just for you, I came here to answer your question. Okay, that's enough small talk.

And my answer is... drumroll please... no. Somewhere in the scriptures (Matthew 6.5-6, to be exact), it says

5. When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

www.usccb.org

James ☺

Apr 18th 2013 new

Yet read a bit farther in Matthew, and you will come to 10:32-33: "Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven. But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven."

A very basic explanation: Matthew, Chapter 6, deals more with puffed-up Faith, where it is shown as an act before the world, but Faith is not actually lived in the private, daily life. Matthew, Chapter 10, talks about the responsibility for setting a good example to the world by our lives, actions, and words.

Apr 18th 2013 new

Yes.
Yes.
Not much reaction.

Although my Mom & I were in Sam's last month and bought some pizza to eat. A bit after saying grace a woman in tears stopped by our table and said she saw us praying and would we pray for her as she had lost her job earlier in the week.

Apr 18th 2013 new
Yep.
Apr 18th 2013 new

We always pray in public, not in a showy, loud, look-at-us way, but quietly, reverently, quickly, humbly.
I've never had a rude reaction from anyone.
When we are in a large group, I'll just quietly pray aloud with my children or friends who are Catholic.
If I'm in a group where everyone but me is non-Catholic but Christian, often someone else will offer the blessing.
If not, I will offer the traditional blessing if they are obviously wanting a prayer.
If no one else seems interested I'll just pray silently and unobtrusively, but still making the sign of the cross at beginning and end.
I'm not showy in my praying, but not ashamed either!

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Christy-929874 said: Yet read a bit farther in Matthew, and you will come to 10:32-33: "Every one therefore tha...
(Quote) Christy-929874 said:

Yet read a bit farther in Matthew, and you will come to 10:32-33: "Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven. But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven."

A very basic explanation: Matthew, Chapter 6, deals more with puffed-up Faith, where it is shown as an act before the world, but Faith is not actually lived in the private, daily life. Matthew, Chapter 10, talks about the responsibility for setting a good example to the world by our lives, actions, and words.

--hide--

Hi Christy et alia,

I post on YouTube under a different moniker than James 17080. Sometimes the issue of religion comes up, especially with YouTubers who are avowed atheists. You can rest assured that I proudly represent that I am a Roman Catholic. Interestingly, I never get any arguments with regards to this subset of posts.

It often happens that I post comments on matters of science on YouTube. I believe in God, and I also believe in hell. But I also believe that God gave us brains. That means he wanted us to think, and not just about our next meal or sexual encounter, like other animals. I believe God gave us brains to analyze abstract things, and to explore the universe from the cosmos to the nucleus of an atom.

You might see where I'm going with this. Yes, I believe in God, but I also believe that life evolved through natural selection. And that, of course, is where the fundamentalist Christians and I part company. I take glee in bopping them, just like I bop my fellow wizards in STM.

I seem to be babbling here, to no purpose. Anyway, I always proclaim my faith in God, and my faith in the Scientific Method.

James ☺

Posts 21 - 30 of 40