Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said:It often happens that I post comments on matters of science on YouTube. I believe in God, and I al...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

It often happens that I post comments on matters of science on YouTube. I believe in God, and I also believe in hell. But I also believe that God gave us brains. That means he wanted us to think, and not just about our next meal or sexual encounter, like other animals. I believe God gave us brains to analyze abstract things, and to explore the universe from the cosmos to the nucleus of an atom.

--hide--

However, we must always be guided by the Faith during these explorations. How many of the problems of modern society are the result of doing things just because we can?

Apr 18th 2013 new

Hi James,

I didn't mean to imply that you were in any way lax. In fact, I admire you for defending the Faith, especially against atheists - I'm all too familiar with their preconceived notions. But I do wonder why saying grace is seemingly such a bad thing when you are quite open about your Faith in different areas. Grace isn't just about thinking when your next meal is coming; in fact, we should probably be saying "grace" every minute of our lives because we are thanking God for all His blessings, not just food. It just happens that somewhere along the line Catholics decided to say grace at meals, so I'm continuing that tradition. :) As other people have mentioned as well, even when it's prayed unobtrusively, people do notice. They may think no more about it after five minutes, but sometimes it touches them in a way that a theological discussion might not. God may be using my very simple act of saying grace for some good, beyond my being thankful for His manifold blessings, so I would not shirk from saying grace just because there is the chance that it might do someone some good. And if nothing else, grace is an extra prayer for the poor souls in Purgatory, and I know that does good even if it is miniscule in the whole scheme of things.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

Always! wave

I make the sign of the cross and fold my hands together then pray out loud. If I'm with fellow Christians, many times we'll hold hands and say grace together out loud. Praying

Sunday night in Indy, about 7 hours ago, we had 10 CMers meet at a lovely Italian restaurant for dinner. We all said grace together when the salads and appetizers were brought out. I LIKE praying with my friends, and just as others have posted - I actually feel strange when I DON'T say grace before meals. Praying

I've had strangers comment on how nice it is to see our table praying together - ESP when my son was young and we dined out. They appreciated the Christian example and show of faith. It really made an impact when folks would compliment my son on his prayers and his good manners.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

Yes I do.

With others we many times will hold hands.

When alone I will cross myself and say it silently with head bowed
I once looked up afterward to see a couple at the table across from me were nodding and smiling~

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Do you feel odd doing it?How do your companions react?
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Do you feel odd doing it?
How do your companions react?

--hide--
Certainly. Why not?

Companions join in usually.

Yes, Marge, we do make the Sign of the Cross at the beginning and end. It's not done in a showy manner -- reverence and thanksgiving are primary.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Marge et alia,Hi, I'm James. I usually crack heads in STM, but just for you...

Hi Marge et alia,

Hi, I'm James. I usually crack heads in STM, but just for you, I came here to answer your question. Okay, that's enough small talk.

And my answer is... drumroll please... no. Somewhere in the scriptures (Matthew 6.5-6, to be exact), it says

5. When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

www.usccb.org

James ☺

--hide--
But what about the passage that reads: "Where two or more are gathered in My name, there am I in the midst of them."?(Matthew 18)

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Do you feel odd doing it?How do your companions react?

--hide--

Yes, I always say grace in public, before and after meals. :) Praying I try not to make a show of it though.

I've never had anyone react negatively. Even when dining out with non-Catholics and their children, invariably the kids ask why, (they don't do it at home) I simply tell them, as a Catholic, it is customary to thank God for my meal. A simple "Oh, ok." Is usually the response. My Catholic companions usually pray with me, although I usually have the guy lead the prayers before and after. biggrin

Apr 22nd 2013 new

All of my dining companions say the grace before the meal and if it my turn it doesn't bother me to do this. The places I go to eat it is accepted practice.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

--hide--

Do I say grace in public? Heck yeah.

Do I feel odd doing it? No more than the usual.

How do your companions react? Well, I have not had anyone duck under the table or run away screaming. Yet.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Marge et alia,Hi, I'm James. I usually crack heads in STM, but just for you...

Hi Marge et alia,

Hi, I'm James. I usually crack heads in STM, but just for you, I came here to answer your question. Okay, that's enough small talk.

And my answer is... drumroll please... no. Somewhere in the scriptures (Matthew 6.5-6, to be exact), it says

5. When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

www.usccb.org

James ☺

--hide--
James, that used to be my guideline too. And I was very discrete with my prayers. But then I realized that Jesus prayed in different manners on different occasions. When asking His Father to wake up Lazarus He prayed very public, during the last supper He gave thanks before them all, during the agony in the garden He withdrew and prayed alone without anyone to keep Him company.

So, I think there is a time and a place both for a public prayer and for a private prayer.

Posts 31 - 40 of 40