Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intelle...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual. The simpleton tending sheep is much less likely to disbeleive the existance of God than the intellectual giving a lecture on nuclear fusion.

--hide--

I'm not so sure I totally agree with this, through a brazer chain of events I'm currently very underemployed. Most of my co-works are simple men most with no more then I high school education. I think maybe one guy out of 35-40 goes to "church" at let me tell you there is a lot of out spoken atheist in this group.

I think faith is combination of free will and grace and does not necessarily assign itself to any social class.

Mar 14th 2013 new

Great Topic Chuka! I think that there are people who reject God in all types of careers. In general I think that Science supports the existence of God. It is the attitude of the person or scientist that makes the difference. People tend to find what they look for and expect to find. They tend to look for what they hope to find. In most cases it is attitude driven, unless God is arranging for a divine intervention as happened with St Paul.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: (Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I recently went to conference with 7 other nurs...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

Quote:
Naomi-825244 said:

I recently went to conference with 7 other nurses from my unit...different ages, races, etc. Of the eight of us, I am Catholic, one is a Jehovah's Witness, and the other six were non-practicing Catholics. Nearly everyone in my feild in Southern VA beleives in God...but that certainly does not stop them from doing whatever they want. Perhaps because we are on the fringe of the Bible Belt that belief in God is stil accepttable. Oddly enough, they all give up something for Lent even though they haven't been to Holy Mass in Years!!! I have noticed that in the medical feild, the higher your education (RN versus LPN, MD versus Med student) their is a much higher rate of atheism...perhaps because they believe they can control anything...we hold power over life and death.

Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual. The simpleton tending sheep is much less likely to disbeleive the existance of God than the intellectual giving a lecture on nuclear fusion. Many people on this discussion have already alluded to the fact that this along with every other attrocity man is capable of committing are largly a matter of enculturation, of accepting something that everyone else does because I don't want to be an odd ball.

I think that, for some strange and largly as yet unexplained reason, people get the feeling that the existance of God has been scientifically disproved, or at least that it is unsupportable. All that has really happened is that Atheism or Agnosticism has been part of the scientific culture for hundreds of years due to loudmouths throughout history who really didn't know what they were talking about. A good example of this is Darwin's Origin of Species, which has been disproved many times over and was never recognized as fact among the more discerning intellectuals even of his day, but it is still clung to by so many people today. I am not here discounting the evolutionary process in general or the possibility that God may have used evolution to accomplish much of His work here on earth. I am merely pointing out that though it could not have happened in the way that Darwin states, people still hold him up as a great thinker and intellectual, and many poor, thoughtless, self made peole use his theory as a foundation of their own lives. White coats, bow ties, spectacles, and atheism give you a pretty solid picture of a scientist, doctor, or teacher.

Not intellect. Many very smart people have pointed to God. Atheism, atleast in the first generation, (those born to believing parents) is a disease of arrogance.

--hide--

As some who spent a good part of my teen years as an "Atheist," this is right on. When people ask me what drew me to Atheism in the first place I tell them it was "self-absorbed arrogance." This is the heart of what Atheism is.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: (Quote) Kwaku-654846 said: I think that many times big...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

Quote:
Kwaku-654846 said:

I think that many times big Catholic families do a disservice to their children by not encouraging more maths and sciences for fear that their children will loose their religion......
Really? In 2013? You surely know what you're talking about, so I'm not disputing it. It's just is shocking and unacceptable!! And plain wrong too..... From what I've seen, there is a slight tendency for highly educated people (not just those in maths and science) to be less religious.

FYI my priest was a engineer for 30 years before entering the priesthood.
I have a friend who is a recent engineering graduate (and was a top student) who has just entered seminary. And I know a priest who was an IT guy for many years beforehand.

I think that many times the big, Catholic families are often homeschooling. The mother is usually the one doing the teaching. If she has a degree (which many these days do) it's in the arts or "soft" science like social work. While many choose to use curriculum and even have their children persue outside college classes as older teens by that time it's too late to have the credits/background to get into the good "hard" sciences engineering, dr's, research scientists. I went to a Tier 2 school (Tier 1 being Ivy's and big name state schools) and to be accepted into science programs you had to come in with nearly a years worth of credits under your belt.

The parents of many children don't have the reasources to put one of many children through a year's worth of college by 17 or 18. Sometimes, they don't even have the room/money to support the child on breaks from school, certinaly not for 8+ years of med school and residency. I think at most they push their children into practical careers, business related, IT (which is a "science" but really depends on what you do) and into the skilled service industry (mechanics, plumbers) and different levels of law enforcement.

Smaller familes have the luxary of expensive field trips and summer camps, honors AP classes at private schools. Some states alow homeschoolers to share these resources, but not many. I think that devoutly Catholic or Christian families, both big and little, homescholed, prive or public tend to be afraid of what will happen to their children if they persue a hard science. I once met a Catholic medical student 2 years away from being a doctor who told me that his mother cried when he decided to be a doctor, fearing he would loose his way to God. Even at a Catholic med school he was one of 3 practicing Catholics in a class of 200.

However, in his class all the students had sought out the Catholic med school becuase of moral and ethical reasons. Most had come from a-moral families where relativism reigned. They sought out the stability of the Catholic teachings on life. Their was a special "seniour year RCIA" class....after 12 years of schooling, some baptized and others not joined the church. This was maybe 3-5 on any given year.

So, if we can keep the balance, keep our instuties of higher education focused on the morals they provide then perhaps we will win back Catholics at the end of their degrees.

I do think that the Catholic church as a whole needs to make a statement and "Take back" science. Almost all of Modern Science is founded on principles discovered by Catolics. We need to step up to the plate and turn the tide back.

--hide--

My impression is home schooling is much more of a evangelical, Jehovah witness, etc. thing then a catholic thing. I don't think I've ever met a home schooled catholic before, although, I've seen it here on CM. Most big catholic families send their kids to catholic schools.

An other random thought: I remember in college I read an article this subject where they did a survey on belief in God by career. The highest career for having faith in God was the medical profession which was something like 80 or 90 percent plus, while the lowest was psychology which was around 30 percent plus. I think this was only regarding careers in the "sciences," but I could be wrong.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: My impression is home schooling is much more of a evangelical, Jehovah witness, etc. thi...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

My impression is home schooling is much more of a evangelical, Jehovah witness, etc. thing then a catholic thing. I don't think I've ever met a home schooled catholic before, although, I've seen it here on CM. Most big catholic families send their kids to catholic schools.

An other random thought: I remember in college I read an article this subject where they did a survey on belief in God by career. The highest career for having faith in God was the medical profession which was something like 80 or 90 percent plus, while the lowest was psychology which was around 30 percent plus. I think this was only regarding careers in the "sciences," but I could be wrong.

--hide--

embarassed Please don't take me as calling you old, but at 37 it's understandable how you wouldn't have met many Catholic homeschoolers. Homeschooling was for hippies in the 70's and for extremists in the 80's. It wasn't until the late 90's and early 2000's that homeschooling became mainstream. Currently about 3-4% of chilren in America are homeschooled. The jump in the past 5-10 years has created huge Catholic comunities. Atleast here in the northeast Catholic schools are rather unaffordable to big families.

Mar 14th 2013 new

Just a correction to my earlier post. The author of Science and Faith: A new introduction is John F. Haught not Hough. . .I crawled into bed last night and picked it up to read a few pages and was hmmmm I think I wrote down the wrong last name lol. . .and I did. So far it is a fairly good book, lots of food for thought. It would be a fantastic book for discussion.

Mar 14th 2013 new

Thanks for all the great posts. I hope I don't repeat to much but I will share my experience.

My Agnosticism stems from my hypersensitivity. I feel wounded so often by the news, current event and t he world we live in in general. Many people turn towards God in these times. For me and my sensitivities, I constantly questioned "where is God?"

I've worked in human and veterinary medicine and have seen some terrible things. Abused children and pets. Heartbreaking. I can see how one could disbelieve after years of exposure to this. I had to leave the field for awhile. And now I'm finding my w ay back to God. I hope I can one day be as learned and devout as so many of you here. And go back into my field. And bring God with me!

I do hope that in the meantime people would be patient and kind to those who struggle with faith.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: Thanks for all the great posts. I hope I don't repeat to much but I will share my experience....
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

Thanks for all the great posts. I hope I don't repeat to much but I will share my experience.

My Agnosticism stems from my hypersensitivity. I feel wounded so often by the news, current event and t he world we live in in general. Many people turn towards God in these times. For me and my sensitivities, I constantly questioned "where is God?"

I've worked in human and veterinary medicine and have seen some terrible things. Abused children and pets. Heartbreaking. I can see how one could disbelieve after years of exposure to this. I had to leave the field for awhile. And now I'm finding my w ay back to God. I hope I can one day be as learned and devout as so many of you here. And go back into my field. And bring God with me!

I do hope that in the meantime people would be patient and kind to those who struggle with faith.

--hide--

Hugs Susan. I know it can be hard and the question is there. When the Murrah building was destroyed, so many of us wondered what was going on. The tragic loss of life that day was devastating. From that incident came several images I found comforting, one was the hand of God reaching down to gather the lost, and another was Jesus holding the little ones who were killed that day.

And, something that may help, where was God? In you, in your touch and care and the love you share to those who are wounded and harmed by those who should have loved them. The prayer of St. Francis often helps me through those barren times: I am including a link to the song as sung by Sinead O'Connor, there are many other versions as well, this one has some beautiful imagery with it and the words and is sung in a slow contemplative way. God has given you a gift in your sensitivity and He believes you are strong enough to love and care those who are brought into your life :-)). God sends you as a gift to those who have been harmed. Big Big Hugs Susan and thank you for your open and loving heart! Our world so needs them!

www.youtube.com

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Hugs Susan. I know it can be hard and the question is there. When the Murrah building w...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Hugs Susan. I know it can be hard and the question is there. When the Murrah building was destroyed, so many of us wondered what was going on. The tragic loss of life that day was devastating. From that incident came several images I found comforting, one was the hand of God reaching down to gather the lost, and another was Jesus holding the little ones who were killed that day.

And, something that may help, where was God? In you, in your touch and care and the love you share to those who are wounded and harmed by those who should have loved them. The prayer of St. Francis often helps me through those barren times: I am including a link to the song as sung by Sinead O'Connor, there are many other versions as well, this one has some beautiful imagery with it and the words and is sung in a slow contemplative way. God has given you a gift in your sensitivity and He believes you are strong enough to love and care those who are brought into your life :-)). God sends you as a gift to those who have been harmed. Big Big Hugs Susan and thank you for your open and loving heart! Our world so needs them!

www.youtube.com

--hide--
Thank you so much Lauren hug

I love St Francis...not just because of the animals and nature but because (as I have put in my profile) he gave up everything to work for God.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: Thank you so much Lauren I love St Francis...not just because of the animals and nature bu...
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

Thank you so much Lauren

I love St Francis...not just because of the animals and nature but because (as I have put in my profile) he gave up everything to work for God.

--hide--

Sensitive souls wound very easily by this crazy world gone out of control. I feel the same way and have struggled with depression because of it. I am in social work and see some pretty crazy stuff, and sometimes it is really sad. So I can relate though I am sure you have seen much worse. Sometimes you just need to step back for a bit.

Posts 41 - 50 of 74