Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: Are people of certain careers more prone to losing their Faith in God tha...
(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: Are people of certain careers more prone to losing their Faith in God than others? Or is it just a coincidence that people of certain careers (usually careers that require critical thinking such as science and technology/research) tend to seek deterministic and empirical "proof" for God's existence and also believe they are in "control" of everything and thus no "Greater Being" exists, regardless of religion?
--hide--

Of course! Herd mentality is really common in certain fields and professions. The unsurprising thing about this is that this herd mentality extends into politics as well as faith. If you notice, a lot of educators and government workers *tend* to be really liberal and uncomfortable talking about their faith (at least at work). Their work environments and course work in college just don't leave room for it.

Many scientists and empirically minded people want to place all of existence into a nice little scientific box and explain the world that way. What they fail to account for (and what their professors never ask them about) is the existence of non-physical things like love, honesty, truth, charity, etc. Since we can't scientifcally prove the existence of these things, does that mean they don't exist? Fr. Barron has a few YouTube videos on Scientism and Catholicism I recommend you check out. Good topic.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) John-917143 said: You really brought up an interesting topic. Personally, my career has never caused me to lose faith in Go...
(Quote) John-917143 said: You really brought up an interesting topic. Personally, my career has never caused me to lose faith in God...
--hide--

Nice thoughts John, I agree with you: I think it's a combination of upbringing, life experiences and the individual's thought process with respect to attempting to "rationalize" God's existence scratchchin

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Robert-834944 said: Personally, I think each career path presents its own snares and traps to lead one away from bel...
(Quote) Robert-834944 said:

Personally, I think each career path presents its own snares and traps to lead one away from belief in God...

Perhaps it's easier on business majors?

--hide--

Haha, I guess all career path DO have their unique snares after all.. one just has to be mindful of them. And like the Bible says:

"Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." -- Matthew 26:41 Praying rosary theheart

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual. ...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Not to be judgemental or make sweeping judgements, but atheism is a disease largly of the intellectual.
--hide--

Hi Naomi, this seems to be somewhat true in western world, but ironically it is not always the case in general. In fact, in my home country, it's almost the opposite as intellectuals, CEOs, and very higly educated individuals regardless of career path are still strongly devoted to God. This is probably because the general attitude of many back home is "whatever I am today, it is by God's grace".. an attitude which I notice to be somewhat lacking in western worlds where more people believe humans are in full control of everything in life. Since the western attitude leans more towards "I can be whatever I want to be", as an intellectual who has put in years of personal hardwork it may be harder to see God through one's career success scratchchin

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: I think that many times the big, Catholic families are often homeschooling...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said: I think that many times the big, Catholic families are often homeschooling...
--hide--

Thanks Renee for the very enlightening explanation of homeschooling smile

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is the attitude of the person or scientist that makes the difference.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is the attitude of the person or scientist that makes the difference.
--hide--

Marian, I totally agree with you on this point.. attitude DOES make a big difference

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Derek-947133 said: What they fail to account for (and what their professors never ask them about) is the existence of non-p...
(Quote) Derek-947133 said: What they fail to account for (and what their professors never ask them about) is the existence of non-physical things like love, honesty, truth, charity, etc. Since we can't scientifcally prove the existence of these things, does that mean they don't exist?
--hide--

Very lovely thought Derek, and very true too! clap

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Chuka-941523 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is the attitude of the person or scientist that mak...
(Quote) Chuka-941523 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said: It is the attitude of the person or scientist that makes the difference.

Marian, I totally agree with you on this point.. attitude DOES make a big difference

--hide--

Thank you. I think that a person's Attitude make the difference with any issue.. You are living near where I used to live as a child.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Renee-288471 said: (Quote) Justin-32820 said: My impression is home schooling is muc...
(Quote) Renee-288471 said:

Quote:
Justin-32820 said:

My impression is home schooling is much more of a evangelical, Jehovah witness, etc. thing then a catholic thing. I don't think I've ever met a home schooled catholic before, although, I've seen it here on CM. Most big catholic families send their kids to catholic schools.

An other random thought: I remember in college I read an article this subject where they did a survey on belief in God by career. The highest career for having faith in God was the medical profession which was something like 80 or 90 percent plus, while the lowest was psychology which was around 30 percent plus. I think this was only regarding careers in the "sciences," but I could be wrong.

Please don't take me as calling you old, but at 37 it's understandable how you wouldn't have met many Catholic homeschoolers. Homeschooling was for hippies in the 70's and for extremists in the 80's. It wasn't until the late 90's and early 2000's that homeschooling became mainstream. Currently about 3-4% of chilren in America are homeschooled. The jump in the past 5-10 years has created huge Catholic comunities. Atleast here in the northeast Catholic schools are rather unaffordable to big families.

--hide--

I hope you not calling me old but at 28 we are basically in the same age group wink Also, I've worked most of my career in education and I have come across home schooled students before.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said:The highest career for having faith in God was the medical profession which was something like 80 or 90 p...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:The highest career for having faith in God was the medical profession which was something like 80 or 90 percent plus,
--hide--
REally? I am surprised, impressed -- and relieved!

Posts 51 - 60 of 74