Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Douay-Rheims Bible Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter&...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Douay-Rheims Bible
Matthew 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother lying, and sick of a fever:

--hide--

How did you find that so fast, Bernard?

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: I have heard Peter was married,but left his wife to pursue the ministry.With her permission I ass...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

I have heard Peter was married,but left his wife to pursue the ministry.With her permission I assume.That can still be done if both spouses agree,and become Religious.Not to remarry,but to live in Holy Chastity.

--hide--

Bernard, you have heard all kinds of things. But the only evidence that exists that Peter was married was that he had a mother-in-law. Nothing in any document that exists or in tradition alludes to any thing else.

That he left his wife is just a pipe dream. If you think about it, Christ would never have allowed a married man to abandon his wife.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Do you know any more about Christ rebuking the fever of Peter's mother in law? I w...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Do you know any more about Christ rebuking the fever of Peter's mother in law? I wonder where in the Bible that
was?

--hide--

Matthew Chapter 8 verse 14

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Matthew Chapter 8 verse 14
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

--hide--

I found another; Mark 1:29-31

This is becoming more convincing. Well, the mother-in-law is.

Mar 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Matthew Chapter 8 verse 14

--hide--

ct.dio.org

This is by a priest from Illinois. I don't know how reputable this paper is though.

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: This seems like a small mistake, but I keep hearing it over and over. The media is saying that...

This seems like a small mistake, but I keep hearing it over and over. The media is saying that
there has already been a new turn of events from this new Pope. When he was on the balcony
for his first appearance as Pope, he blessed the crowd, and then he "asked the crowd to
bless him."

That is not what he did. He asked the crowd to pray to God for him. He wanted them to ask
the Almighty for blessings for his reign as Pope.

Since I was young I have had non Catholics come up to me and ask "Why do you pray to
Statues?" Why do you light a fire in the candles?" Now non Catholics want to know if
it is safe to be around priests? They ask as though there are no loving and sincere
and holy men who have given their lives to the priesthood.

When non Catholics hear from the media that the crowd was asked to "bless him," I
think that sends another wrong message. And I have heard that from news reports both
yesterday and today. I don't think it is a small mistake. Am I overreacting to this?

Have there been other media releases that you found misleading? There probably have
been lots of them.

--hide--

This may not be from the media, but yesterday when I was having lunch with some friends, one guy chimed
in that the Pope was missing a leg. I think he did not have on his glasses and misread "lung" for "leg."

I questioned him, and then he laughed because everyone else said lung also.

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I found another; Mark 1:29-31This is becoming more convincing. Well, the m...

I found another; Mark 1:29-31

This is becoming more convincing. Well, the mother-in-law is.

--hide--

Here is from the New Advent Encyclopedia:

"Simon settled in Capharnaum, where he was living with his mother-in-law in his own house (Matthew 8:14; Luke 4:38) at the beginning of Christ's public ministry (about A.D. 26-28). Simon was thus married, and, according to Clement of Alexandria (Stromata, III, vi, ed. Dindorf, II, 276), had children. The same writer relates the tradition that Peter's wife suffered martyrdom (ibid., VII, xi ed. cit., III, 306). Concerning these facts, adopted by Eusebius (Church History III.31) from Clement, the ancient Christian literature which has come down to us is silent. Simon pursued in Capharnaum the profitable occupation of fisherman in Lake Genesareth, possessing his own boat (Luke 5:3)."

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Here is from the New Advent Encyclopedia:"Simon settled in Capharnaum, whe...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Here is from the New Advent Encyclopedia:

"Simon settled in Capharnaum, where he was living with his mother-in-law in his own house (Matthew 8:14; Luke 4:38) at the beginning of Christ's public ministry (about A.D. 26-28). Simon was thus married, and, according to Clement of Alexandria (Stromata, III, vi, ed. Dindorf, II, 276), had children. The same writer relates the tradition that Peter's wife suffered martyrdom (ibid., VII, xi ed. cit., III, 306). Concerning these facts, adopted by Eusebius (Church History III.31) from Clement, the ancient Christian literature which has come down to us is silent. Simon pursued in Capharnaum the profitable occupation of fisherman in Lake Genesareth, possessing his own boat (Luke 5:3)."

--hide--

Chelsea:

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the man, the Saint, who is buried under St. Peter's Basilica,
was married with a family. In all my years, I never thought of him, or the other Apostles, as having a wife or family.
. T
I always thought of them working hard and travelling many miles, to spread the Good Word. I never thought about
them having a wife or family to worry about.

Thank you for the information. One more thing I was reading, is that there are probably relatives of the Apostles
living today that would not even know they are related to the Apostles.

Since St. Mark is in an elaborate coffin in St. Mark's Church in Venice, his body would be easy to get a DNA sample. The casket
is not under ground. Not sure if DNA would be preserved after 2000 years. Who knows?

I wonder if anyone would want to know or care if they were related. In this day and age, with Ancestry.com, and everyone
looking for their kin, they may wonder about it. There has been a lot of relocation since those times.
His relatives may be your neighbors, or one of us on CM.

Just a thought. scratchchin

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Bernard, you have heard all kinds of things. But the only evidence that exists that Peter...

Bernard, you have heard all kinds of things. But the only evidence that exists that Peter was married was that he had a mother-in-law. Nothing in any document that exists or in tradition alludes to any thing else.

That he left his wife is just a pipe dream. If you think about it, Christ would never have allowed a married man to abandon his wife.

--hide--

I disagree, Christ said several times in the Old testament to abandon the world and follow Him, I believe He also said those who must look back are unfit to work the plough. I think Christ would have allowed Peter to leave His wife, but not divorce, in order to pursue and preach the Gospel.

Since divorce is not ok, I assume, like Bernard, that Peter would have told His wife and they would have agreed. He traveled a lot and set up the Church in Rome and was martyred. either she came with him, or they parted ways, but something tells me it was the latter. Leaving someone from Christ is not a sin, nor is it divorce

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Sam-948516 said: I disagree, Christ said several times in the Old testament to abandon the world and fo...
(Quote) Sam-948516 said:

I disagree, Christ said several times in the Old testament to abandon the world and follow Him, I believe He also said those who must look back are unfit to work the plough. I think Christ would have allowed Peter to leave His wife, but not divorce, in order to pursue and preach the Gospel.

Since divorce is not ok, I assume, like Bernard, that Peter would have told His wife and they would have agreed. He traveled a lot and set up the Church in Rome and was martyred. either she came with him, or they parted ways, but something tells me it was the latter. Leaving someone from Christ is not a sin, nor is it divorce

--hide--

A lot of supposition going on.

First of allI was clear when I said Christ would not have allowed Peter to abandon his wife. Although Christ said one should give up everything to follow him, abandonment of ones wife is an inherently evil act and Christ would never allow much less advocate such an act. Abandoning a wife is a sure ticket to hell.

The only thing we know for certain is that Peter had been married. He could have been a widower, he could have had dozens of children and even grandchildren, but the Gospels and both written and oral tradition say nothing about those possibilities. When you think about it, it is all rather meaningless unless one has an ax to grind and Peter carting a family around is important to prove that person's axe.

Posts 11 - 20 of 35