Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

03/15/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: The Pope should adopt the discipline of the Council of Trullo whereby priests can only marry befo...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

The Pope should adopt the discipline of the Council of Trullo whereby priests can only marry before ordination and that bishops need to be celibate monks.
--hide--

You say he should as if there would be some compelling reason to do so. The canons of the local council held in Trullo in Constantinople were never considered universal, except by those eastern schismatics who added these to the decrees of the Second and Third Councils of Constantinople.

What actual benefit could be gained in the Latin tradition by mixing in aspects of Eastern tradition?

Don't read any personal attack into this, I'm seriously interested.

03/15/2013 new

(Quote) Sam-948516 said: two of my translations have 62. You are reading chapter 10
(Quote) Sam-948516 said:

two of my translations have 62. You are reading chapter 10

--hide--

I stand corrected.

But read the foot notes.In all three of my Bibles, the foot noptes do not support your interpretation.

03/15/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I stand corrected. But read the foot notes.In all three of my Bibles, the foot nop...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I stand corrected.

But read the foot notes.In all three of my Bibles, the foot noptes do not support your interpretation.

--hide--

for those versus the versions i have with commentary do not comment on those particular versus... what does your commentary on them say?

03/15/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: I have heard Peter was married,but left his wife...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

[quote]Bernard-2709 said:

I have heard Peter was married,but left his wife to pursue the ministry.With her permission I assume.That can still be done if both spouses agree,and become Religious.Not to remarry,but to live in Holy Chastity.

--hide--

Bernard, you have heard all kinds of things. But the only evidence that exists that Peter was married was that he had a mother-in-law. Nothing in any document that exists or in tradition alludes to any thing else.

That he left his wife is just a pipe dream. If you think about it, Christ would never have allowed a married man to abandon his wife.

[/quote] CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA

St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles

Bethsaida

St. Peter's trueand original name was Simon, sometimes occurring in the form Symeon. (Acts 15:14;2 Peter 1:1). He was the son of Jona (Johannes) and was born inBethsaida (John 1:42, 44), a town onLake Genesareth, the position of which cannot be established withcertainty, although it is usually sought at the northern end of the lake. TheApostle Andrew was his brother, and theApostle Philip came from the same town.

Capharnaum

Simon settled in Capharnaum, where he was living with his mother-in-law in his own house (Matthew 8:14; Luke 4:38) at the beginning of Christ'spublic ministry (about A.D. 26-28). Simon was thus married, and, according to Clement of Alexandria (Stromata, III, vi, ed. Dindorf, II, 276), had children. The same writer relates the tradition that Peter's wife suffered martyrdom (ibid., VII, xi ed. cit., III, 306).

www.newadvent.org

03/15/2013 new

what the heck is wrong with the editor on Cm? Lol!

Posts 31 - 35 of 35