Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

This is for this coming Sat. March 16th....Anyone interested in joining me? hug

SLOVAK TRADITIONS

The annual celebration of a Slovak Mass and Easter customs breakfast will be held at Prince of Peace Parish on Pittsburgh’s South Side on Saturday, March 16. The celebration will begin with the rosary recited in Slovak at 9:45 a.m. at St. Adalbert Church, 160 S. 15th St., followed by Mass at 10 a.m. Father Peter Haladej will celebrate the Mass in Slovak while presenting the homily in English. Following Mass, a traditional Slovak Easter breakfast will be held in the parish center. The menu includes sunka (ham), paska (sweet bread), siretz (a cheese made of eggs), kolbasy (sausage) and pysanki (dyed hard-boiled eggs). Also featured are cultural displays, demonstrations of Slovak-style braiding of palms and a large display of hand-decorated pysanky. Baked goods, imported gifts and religious items will be for sale. The Slovak Customs Group/Cultural Diversity Committee of the parish sponsors the program. A free-will offering will be accepted.

03/14/2013 new
(Quote) Michelle-641892 said: This is for this coming Sat. March 16th....Anyone interested in joining me? SLOVAK TRADITIONS ...
(Quote) Michelle-641892 said:

This is for this coming Sat. March 16th....Anyone interested in joining me?

SLOVAK TRADITIONS

The annual celebration of a Slovak Mass and Easter customs breakfast will be held at Prince of Peace Parish on Pittsburgh’s South Side on Saturday, March 16. The celebration will begin with the rosary recited in Slovak at 9:45 a.m. at St. Adalbert Church, 160 S. 15th St., followed by Mass at 10 a.m. Father Peter Haladej will celebrate the Mass in Slovak while presenting the homily in English. Following Mass, a traditional Slovak Easter breakfast will be held in the parish center. The menu includes sunka (ham), paska (sweet bread), siretz (a cheese made of eggs), kolbasy (sausage) and pysanki (dyed hard-boiled eggs). Also featured are cultural displays, demonstrations of Slovak-style braiding of palms and a large display of hand-decorated pysanky. Baked goods, imported gifts and religious items will be for sale. The Slovak Customs Group/Cultural Diversity Committee of the parish sponsors the program. A free-will offering will be accepted.

--hide--
Hi Michelle.that is very similar to the Polish celebration. We have the same meal but the bread is an egg bread that is braided and there is a very nice gentleman who knows the proper word and I hope he chimes in. We have kolache as well and my dad would go the the polish bakery and order pineapple cheesecake made with farmer's cheese. We would keep that and the apple pies we would help mom make in the cellar in the extra kitchen/laundry room It truly was a feast. In the old days, we would bring food to the church the evening before and have Father bless it. These are wonderful memories! Eileen
03/15/2013 new

Any potica at that celebration? The menu sounds yummy!

03/15/2013 new
(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Any potica at that celebration? The menu sounds yummy!
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Any potica at that celebration? The menu sounds yummy!

--hide--
I have never had that...what kind of bread is that Michael.
03/15/2013 new

It is potica. My mother made it for every holiday. It is a Slavic bread (my mother was Croatian, my friend Tom, former CMer, his mom is Slovak and makes it too). It was very popular in the part of northern MN called "The Iron Range".

She would roll the dough out super thin; it would cover the whole dining room table. She'd pour lots of honey and tons of walnuts on top, then roll it up to make multiple layers of gooey goodness.

Here is a website for a bakery up on the Range that makes it. I buy theirs once inawhile, it is close to what my mother made.

poticawalnut.com

03/15/2013 new
(Quote) Michael-76823 said: It is potica. My mother made it for every holiday. It is a Slavic bread (my mother was Croatian, my friend T...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

It is potica. My mother made it for every holiday. It is a Slavic bread (my mother was Croatian, my friend Tom, former CMer, his mom is Slovak and makes it too). It was very popular in the part of northern MN called "The Iron Range".

She would roll the dough out super thin; it would cover the whole dining room table. She'd pour lots of honey and tons of walnuts on top, then roll it up to make multiple layers of gooey goodness.

Here is a website for a bakery up on the Range that makes it. I buy theirs once inawhile, it is close to what my mother made.

poticawalnut.com

--hide--
It looks just like the Polish kolache. I will hunt down that recipe. A woman I used to work with hand wrote it and I did make it both ways. Looks very yummy!
03/17/2013 new

It was very nice...They had poppyseed roll, one of my favorites! Lot's of other stuff too. It was a very nice Mass, all in Slovak, except the Homily. I only could say "Amen"...that was all I knew LOL!!! But it was nice hearing the language being spoken.

The church was just absolutely beautiful. I need to see all the churches in Pittsburgh.

Got a recipe from a lady that makes paska bread in a breadmachine...She showed me how to make a little bird and flowers out of the dough. Very cool!

03/17/2013 new

Thank you Eileen for sharing your memories too....they certainly are great memories....lovely to celebrate traditions.

03/17/2013 new

Wow, too bad we are way too far. It would be amazing to hear Slovak mass at least every few months...
Going to church and listening to mass in English has been the hardest thing, even now after many years...it makes me miss Slovakia.
My son loves poppy seed cake - "makovnik". My dad buys 6 of them each time we are flying back to the US.
Then, my son eats it for breakfast every single day until it is all gone:-) I think potica must be "strudla" - very very thin dough that covers the table, then you stuff it with tons of apples, raisens and walnuts....I love this stuff.

Any people from Slovakia here ?

Katarina

03/17/2013 new

I am Czech on both sides of my family. Don't forget pigs in a blanket and kolatches!

Posts 1 - 10 of 12