Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Rosemary-790697 said: I was very happy to hear how involved he was as an archbishop. He was truly living a humble life, giv...
(Quote) Rosemary-790697 said: I was very happy to hear how involved he was as an archbishop. He was truly living a humble life, giving up the fancy cars and apartments.

I smile now every time I hear the humble acts of Pope Francis. Sitting in the first empty chair he can find among the Cardnials and riding the bus back and forth to his hotel. What a model we have before us!
--hide--
Exactly Rosemary! thumbsup

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I find teh discussion of liberal vs. conservative Popes amusing. Popes can't change establish...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I find teh discussion of liberal vs. conservative Popes amusing. Popes can't change established doctrine. If a Pope comes along and says "oh yeah, you guys can have abortions and homosexuals can "marry", then we know we have a Pope who's not God's choice, and that the Church is all built on a sack of lies.

So what else does it matter if they slant towards helping the poor vs. living in a mansion vs. pushing social justice vs. perfering the Latin Mass? Seems kinda assinine to waste time on worrying about it. Granted, putting on the humility certainly won't hurt.

--hide--
The Pope's true position is not that of being conservative or liberal, but being Catholic and promoting the Catholic Church's teachings.

Mar 17th 2013 new

As usual, Ray, you're right on point! clap clap clap When people start to focus on other divisive matters, we lose sight of that which should unite us. The same can be said with the political differences today: too much attention being paid to individual leanings, and not enough on the basic tenets that need to be observed and protected. Our Church and its teachings must be catholic (small c) and thus universal, which was the intent of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in the first place.

Mar 17th 2013 new

ABSOLUTELY! There is no other way a pope should be or a true Catholic for that matter!

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: I for one, am very grateful.
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

I for one, am very grateful.

--hide--

I am very grateful, because he lights the way for us conservatives.

Mar 18th 2013 new

The mainstream media make him out to be a conservative, but I'm not too sure about that.

Mar 18th 2013 new

Is he? Jesuits are not conservative.

I understand he has run afoul of his order because of his adherence to orthodoxy, but does that make him conservative? I pray that he is conservative.

Mar 18th 2013 new

I will simply say, I'm glad for the example of gospel simplicity with which he has tried to live out his vocation. To be catholic is to be liberal on some issues (social justice, etc.) at least by appearances, i.e. "do not hide your light under a bushel basket", and conservative in others - moral teaching coming to mind most obviously. Time will tell as to a Pope's effectiveness. As we're all sinners, everyone has defects. I'm grateful for John Paul II's spirituality and his profound insights on the sacrament of marriage, and other issues. Did he have weaknesses? Sure, probably not the most effective administrator to hold the Papacy, but his devotion to the faith was without question. May the Lord lead our new Holy Father to wherever the Holy Spirit needs to see healing of the Mystical Body of Christ, and strengthening of the Church Militant, thus leading to the Church Triumphant. That's my simple wish, and prayer.

Posts 11 - 18 of 18